Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT - Question About This Forum Doing Different Things All Of A Sudden
Lucy 07:06 PM 03-22-2013
It never used to do this for me, and I'm wondering if I unknowingly changed some settings - either for this forum, or for my computer itself.

When I click to read a new thread, it goes to an advertisement page. I have to click out of the ad page and then I can read the thread.

Also, there are (what are they called?) hyper links (I think?). In other words, there are certain words that are red and you can hover over them and up pops a little box which is an ad.

Anyone else???
SilverSabre25 07:11 PM 03-22-2013
that sounds like a computer problem. or possibly internet? did your pop-up blocker or adblocker get turned off?
Lucy 07:13 PM 03-22-2013
Oh boy.... I'll have to figure out how to check that!
SilverSabre25 08:02 PM 03-22-2013
what browser are you using?

I'd also run a virus scan just to be on the safe side.
jamiem 06:58 AM 03-23-2013
I havent had any problems with this forum but a lot of times when I am on other internet pages I have the problem with the hyperlinks that you are talking about and I'm not sure why. If you figure it out I would love to know how to fix it!
MyAngels 07:48 AM 03-23-2013
I ran into this recently and it was some toolbar that was recently installed. It was some kind of advertising setting. I just uninstalled the toolbar and that took care of it. You might check the list of programs in control panel to see if there's anything new there (assuming you're using Windows). If that's not it check your settings for any search engines you use (Google, Bing, etc.).
Lyss 10:33 AM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I ran into this recently and it was some toolbar that was recently installed. It was some kind of advertising setting. I just uninstalled the toolbar and that took care of it. You might check the list of programs in control panel to see if there's anything new there (assuming you're using Windows). If that's not it check your settings for any search engines you use (Google, Bing, etc.).

Sounds like a virus or a toolbar add on (many programs you download and install try to sneak these toolbars in if you don't pay close attention when installing, its very easy to miss!)

Definitely check in "add or remove programs" in the control panel. I usually sort by date so I can see the thing that was most recently installed (especially if this just happened) and usually the toolbars appear there and you can remove it. Or you can disable them via your web browser (what you use to go online like internet explorer, firefox, chrome) but even if you do this you probably still want to remove it from your computer at some point

Disable toolbars: (internet explorer & windows 7)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24172..._explorer.html

Remove a program: (windows 7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ange-a-program

You may want to run a virus scan too just to be safe!
Lucy 01:52 PM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:

Sounds like a virus or a toolbar add on (many programs you download and install try to sneak these toolbars in if you don't pay close attention when installing, its very easy to miss!)

Definitely check in "add or remove programs" in the control panel. I usually sort by date so I can see the thing that was most recently installed (especially if this just happened) and usually the toolbars appear there and you can remove it. Or you can disable them via your web browser (what you use to go online like internet explorer, firefox, chrome) but even if you do this you probably still want to remove it from your computer at some point

Disable toolbars: (internet explorer & windows 7)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24172..._explorer.html

Remove a program: (windows 7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ange-a-program

You may want to run a virus scan too just to be safe!
Brilliant! I went to add/remove programs, and I had 5 toolbars!!! None of them were visible on my browser, but they were installed, and could have been made visible by clicking "view - toolbars" on my browser page. I uninstalled all of them and the problem seems to be gone. Thank you!!!
Michael 04:20 PM 03-23-2013
It sounds like a Malware has infected your browser/computer.

We DO NOT have advertisements on the forum. If you see a banner ad on the top or bottom you have Malware.

Originally Posted by Lucy:
Brilliant! I went to add/remove programs, and I had 5 toolbars!!! None of them were visible on my browser, but they were installed, and could have been made visible by clicking "view - toolbars" on my browser page. I uninstalled all of them and the problem seems to be gone. Thank you!!!
Those are all TRACKING your internet movements. Its called Spyware.

Also go and manage your Browser Add-Ons.

Internet Options> Programs> Manage Add-ons
Tags:computer virus, forum question, malware
Reply Up