Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Discuss This With Parents?
Thriftylady 01:41 PM 04-15-2015
I have 2 siblings right now who are SA 8yr and 9yr. They started here in Feb. The whole time they have been here, we have been working one sitting in chairs properly. They are always in their knees on them, cross legged in them, one leg in the other leg standing, tipping them backward etc. The first week here this caused an expensive high chair to get broken. In the last week or so I put in a new rule, one warning about the chairs and then you don't get one the rest of the day. I did this to dcb one day and he said "well it isn't good for me to eat standing up". I told him it isn't good for my chairs for you to sit down. So today we are working on DCG's homework and she is in one of the child sized folding chairs and tipping back in it. We start to talk it over and she smiles, then tells me you have only ever told me not to do that once. WHILE we are discussing it she tips the chair again so I take it away and tell her she can try again tomorrow. She is 8, so she clearly understands. Would you discuss this with the parents? I can't afford the abuse these kids give furniture.
Josiegirl 02:34 PM 04-15-2015
I think I'd ask the dcps if they have this problem at home and how they deal with it. Sounds like either the dcps let it slide at home or these kids are testing you. Maybe you should take all the chairs away except for yours and let them sit on the floor then they need to earn them.

I don't know why but it seems like the older kids are hardest on stuff. I have a 6 yo that uses our doll stroller like her own personal scooter. She's always tipping the chairs up onto the back legs. She and her sister both use my couch as a trampoline. It's maddening and frustrating and I feel like a meanie cause I'm constantly having to be on them about it.
Second Home 03:12 PM 04-15-2015
I do say something to parents when the kids test me like this. I want them to know ahead of time that the child is not respecting my property or following the rules . Especially when they are old enough to know better and are doing it just to see how far they can push you .

And I do take away the privilege of chairs , couch , etc...
Gemma 04:41 PM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have 2 siblings right now who are SA 8yr and 9yr. They started here in Feb. The whole time they have been here, we have been working one sitting in chairs properly. They are always in their knees on them, cross legged in them, one leg in the other leg standing, tipping them backward etc. The first week here this caused an expensive high chair to get broken. In the last week or so I put in a new rule, one warning about the chairs and then you don't get one the rest of the day. I did this to dcb one day and he said "well it isn't good for me to eat standing up". I told him it isn't good for my chairs for you to sit down. So today we are working on DCG's homework and she is in one of the child sized folding chairs and tipping back in it. We start to talk it over and she smiles, then tells me you have only ever told me not to do that once. WHILE we are discussing it she tips the chair again so I take it away and tell her she can try again tomorrow. She is 8, so she clearly understands. Would you discuss this with the parents? I can't afford the abuse these kids give furniture.
I would continue to take the chair away if they do not sit properly after being reminded, but I'd be willing to repeat the reminder, if they correct their posture when told, and show an effort in following my rule, that is probably the way they are allowed to sit at school/home and it's hard to break the habit.
Gemma 04:48 PM 04-15-2015
oops I totally missed the question
No, in this case I would not discuss with parents...I would however warn the children about consequences for disrespect, and if they continue to act in that way I would then discuss with parents and even consider Terminating!
...I work too hard for not enough money, under constant changing rules and regulations, I think I have more than enough stress as is and I will not put up with any form of disrespect from anyone!
Thriftylady 05:04 PM 04-15-2015
I did talk to mom at pickup. She said "yeah they do that all the time at home, I can't get them to sit down right". I wanted to ask "what do you mean you can't get them to?".
mommiebookworm 05:52 PM 04-15-2015
I have a dcb4 who will not stop jumping on the couch. I finally told mom one day, how embarrassed I was that he was using the couch as a trampoline when two ladies from church stopped by. I said to him in front of mom that he cannot jump on the couch. He still tries, and I have to remind him at least twice a week. It's irritating! He has told me that he jumps on the couch and the bed at home.
daycare 05:58 PM 04-15-2015
ok I think I discovered my biggest pet peeve.

It is when parents say.......I can't get my child to

fill in the blank
sit in their car seat
eat their food sitting at the table

that would have made me mad too.

I would have told dcm well when they can't respect our furniture here, the natural consequence is that it is taken away. maybe if you jumped on board with implementing natural consequences, together we could rid of this unwanted behavior. I'll ask them tomorrow if they got to keep their chairs at home last night. ugh
Controlled Chaos 06:35 PM 04-15-2015
Furniture is for old people not children - that's what I tell my crew I have kid chairs they can use at the kid table and I have and I have taken away chairs for not using them properly. I don't think it is parent chat worthy behavior
daycare 06:37 PM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Furniture is for old people not children - that's what I tell my crew I have kid chairs they can use at the kid table and I have and I have taken away chairs for not using them properly. I don't think it is parent chat worthy behavior
I think if they are breaking them it is......
missbecky 07:26 PM 04-15-2015
I work in a group center with toddlers. Let me tell you, if they don't sit properly in their chair I take it away after giving them 1 warning. If they stand up again during a meal, their food goes along with the chair. During art or other table activities, they lose their chair, but can continue the activity. It's amazing how fast they learn.

I would discuss it with mom and dad at the end of the week. Something like "We had been having problems with the kids sitting on their chairs the correct way at the beginning of the week, but we've worked through it." If it doesn't get better, "We've been having some problems sitting on chairs the proper way this week, but we're working through it and I'm sure next week will be even better."

Good luck! They'll learn standing is no fun and if they don't get the attention for their misbehavior they'll catch on really quickly.
Leigh 07:48 PM 04-15-2015
I had an issue with an ADHD 4 yo who simply refused to sit on a chair properly. I took away his chair for a week, he stood for every meal. When he got his chair back, he lost it again within minutes for another week. After that week, we had no more problems with sitting on chairs.
Bookworm 08:34 PM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
ok I think I discovered my biggest pet peeve.

It is when parents say.......I can't get my child to

fill in the blank
sit in their car seat
eat their food sitting at the table

that would have made me mad too.

I would have told dcm well when they can't respect our furniture here, the natural consequence is that it is taken away. maybe if you jumped on board with implementing natural consequences, together we could rid of this unwanted behavior. I'll ask them tomorrow if they got to keep their chairs at home last night. ugh
This is in my top three pet peeves. Every time I hear it from a parent, I always ask: Why do you need their permission? Then I proceed to do what the parent couldn't do. As far as he chair incident, if a child and sit the right way in a chair they have to stand up. I give one warning and after that, they stand up. I agree with Gemma. After giving 2 warnings to the child, I would bring it up with the parents. If they parents won't help, then it's time to term.
Josiegirl 03:05 AM 04-16-2015
I agree with taking the chair away BUT if one kid is standing there eating, or doing crafts, all I can picture is the rest of them trying to do the same thing and all heck breaking loose. Obviously they didn't want to be in that chair to begin with? Do you ever find that happening?
Gemma 05:17 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
I have a dcb4 who will not stop jumping on the couch. I finally told mom one day, how embarrassed I was that he was using the couch as a trampoline when two ladies from church stopped by. I said to him in front of mom that he cannot jump on the couch. He still tries, and I have to remind him at least twice a week. It's irritating! He has told me that he jumps on the couch and the bed at home.
That kid, in my house, wouldn't even be allowed CLOSE to the couch!

I agree the " Can't get my kid to...." is the most annoying thing I hear parents say!
Kabob 05:37 AM 04-16-2015
I make my toddlers sit correctly on their chairs no problem. Parents don't give their kids enough credit sometimes.

But anyway, I would have mentioned it in passing to the parents too just because older kids tend to tell their parents about their day and some kids tend to exaggerate. I also have some parents that panic about every little thing their child says or does. I just nip it in the bud.

I'd just keep following through with consequences. Hopefully, by telling dcm that it is a concern for safety reasons, she will back up your efforts.
Blackcat31 05:41 AM 04-16-2015
A majority of time kids do not have access to child sized chairs....other than school so realistically it isn't odd or unnatural that kids sit in them in ways we don't necessarily approve of...kwim?

What I would do is to continually remind AND role model how to sit in a chair the correct way. I wouldn't necessarily take the chair away from them as some of their actions are not intentional (I'll get to that..) and aren't something they consciously do.

I would set up some type of system such as the 1, 2, 3 method;

#1 "Johnny~ Please sit in the chair the right way. Thank you"

#2 "Johnny~ If you do not sit the right way, you will be asked to leave the table/chair/activity etc"

#3 "Johnny~ You need to leave the table/chair/activity. You are not sitting in your chair correctly and I've given you a reminder and a warning. You can try again later in the afternoon (or whenever appropriate)"

Rinse and repeat.

I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it and I wouldn't discuss this with the parents either as most have regular sized adult chairs at home and reinforcement of this behavior at home is usually not much help for several reasons.

This brings me back to my original point...... that during rapid spurts of brain growth rocking, leaning back in their chairs and any type of back and forth or swaying movement has a DIRECT correlation to this period of rapid brain growth/development (this is why rocking babies is so important ) and those of you who have spent time in classrooms (especially age 6-7 and again at 9-11) you will probably recall seeing almost an entire class of kids leaning back on two legs of their chairs while they work. Again it's both a conscious and unconscious behavior.

Personally I think expecting a child to sit in the chair correctly also requires the correct chair size. It's difficult to sit in a chair correctly if its not meant for you height/size. I am a shorter person and I can say that it's uncomfortable and sometimes painful to sit in a chair that is so big that my feet hardly touch the ground.

Anyways, I just wanted to toss that out there....
Kabob 05:53 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A majority of time kids do not have access to child sized chairs....other than school so realistically it isn't odd or unnatural that kids sit in them in ways we don't necessarily approve of...kwim?

What I would do is to continually remind AND role model how to sit in a chair the correct way. I wouldn't necessarily take the chair away from them as some of their actions are not intentional (I'll get to that..) and aren't something they consciously do.

I would set up some type of system such as the 1, 2, 3 method;

#1 "Johnny~ Please sit in the chair the right way. Thank you"

#2 "Johnny~ If you do not sit the right way, you will be asked to leave the table/chair/activity etc"

#3 "Johnny~ You need to leave the table/chair/activity. You are not sitting in your chair correctly and I've given you a reminder and a warning. You can try again later in the afternoon (or whenever appropriate)"

Rinse and repeat.

I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it and I wouldn't discuss this with the parents either as most have regular sized adult chairs at home and reinforcement of this behavior at home is usually not much help for several reasons.

This brings me back to my original point...... that during rapid spurts of brain growth rocking, leaning back in their chairs and any type of back and forth or swaying movement has a DIRECT correlation to this period of rapid brain growth/development (this is why rocking babies is so important ) and those of you who have spent time in classrooms (especially age 6-7 and again at 9-11) you will probably recall seeing almost an entire class of kids leaning back on two legs of their chairs while they work. Again it's both a conscious and unconscious behavior.

Personally I think expecting a child to sit in the chair correctly also requires the correct chair size. It's difficult to sit in a chair correctly if its not meant for you height/size. I am a shorter person and I can say that it's uncomfortable and sometimes painful to sit in a chair that is so big that my feet hardly touch the ground.

Anyways, I just wanted to toss that out there....
I absolutely get this, but I thought the issue was them sitting goofy in child sized chairs and falling off the chair as a result. I didn't read the part about chair tipping. I fortunately don't have to worry about chair tipping at the moment.

And yeah, I totally was a chair tipper too...so I constantly needed reminders. Makes sense now that I think about it.. I was always tipping my chair when I wasn't consciously thinking about it and then someone would scold me.

I still think mentioning it to the parents is useful only because every time I corrected a behavior here that is totally normal for that age group (ie, taking toys), parents freak out and think their kid is a terror here or I'm a meanie if they find out from their child about it at home. I once had a parent think that their kid gave my baby stitches when they threw a toy since that is what the child told them and I didn't mention the toy throwing incident at pickup.
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Kabob:
I absolutely get this, but I thought the issue was them sitting goofy in child sized chairs and falling off the chair as a result. I didn't read the part about chair tipping. I fortunately don't have to worry about chair tipping at the moment.

And yeah, I totally was a chair tipper too...so I constantly needed reminders. Makes sense now that I think about it.. I was always tipping my chair when I wasn't consciously thinking about it and then someone would scold me.

I still think mentioning it to the parents is useful only because every time I corrected a behavior here that is totally normal for that age group (ie, taking toys), parents freak out and think their kid is a terror here or I'm a meanie if they find out from their child about it at home. I once had a parent think that their kid gave my baby stitches when they threw a toy since that is what the child told them and I didn't mention the toy throwing incident at pickup.
OP mentioned working on DCG's homework and her tipping the chair.

Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So today we are working on DCG's homework and she is in one of the child sized folding chairs and tipping back in it.
OP also does not mention if the chairs she is using for these kids are or aren't child sized and I guess it doesn't make a difference as my reference was about the type of chairs most kids have at home. Most families have regular sized dining room chairs or don't even bother eating at the table

Anyways, my point was that there IS a correct height for chairs based on each each person's height/size and using the correct chair for a persons height is ideal but not always doable....I think most of us have chairs that aren't exactly meant for specific sized children but instead just have either your standard sized chair for adults or the one-size-fits-all child sized chair...which isn't really a one-size fits all.

I also said I wouldn't mention it to the parents because I think this type of thing is like reminding kids to cover their mouths when they cough and I certainly don't bring that up in my daily report to parents about their child's day....kwim?

If it was a bigger deal to me, I would mention it for sure but since I don't feel parents can really do anything other than role model proper posture/sitting at home (which I hope they already do) there isn't much they can do to fix a problem or issue WE are having at OUR house on OUR watch.
Kabob 06:29 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OP mentioned working on DCG's homework and her tipping the chair.

OP also does not mention if the chairs she is using for these kids are or aren't child sized and I guess it doesn't make a difference as my reference was about the type of chairs most kids have at home. Most families have regular sized dining room chairs or don't even bother eating at the table

Anyways, my point was that there IS a correct height for chairs based on each each person's height/size and using the correct chair for a persons height is ideal but not always doable....I think most of us have chairs that aren't exactly meant for specific sized children but instead just have either your standard sized chair for adults or the one-size-fits-all child sized chair...which isn't really a one-size fits all.

I also said I wouldn't mention it to the parents because I think this type of thing is like reminding kids to cover their mouths when they cough and I certainly don't bring that up in my daily report to parents about their child's day....kwim?

If it was a bigger deal to me, I would mention it for sure but since I don't feel parents can really do anything other than role model proper posture/sitting at home (which I hope they already do) there isn't much they can do to fix a problem or issue WE are having at OUR house on OUR watch.
I meant no offense. Just was saying I didn't read the part about chair tipping. I just read the part about sitting goofy. My kiddos sit goofy too since I know they don't have child sized chairs elsewhere too.

I did appreciate your perspective.

I don't mention chair issues to my families either. I correct them literally every day but have never mentioned it as it never has led to anyone getting hurt or breaking something. If I were taking away table privileges like OP is, then I would have to mention it just as a side comment or else my talkers would exaggerate and I'd get a phone call from overanxious parents. That's my problem, though and thus my perspective.

OP already talked to the dcm so I suppose it is pointless to worry about it.

I think I need more coffee....or less....I feel like I'm not making sense this morning and can't coherently form my thoughts today. Just trying to clarify my thoughts and failing miserably.
Thriftylady 07:15 AM 04-16-2015
OP here!

First thanks for all the advice. I have problems in both sizes of chairs, my dining room chairs are adult sized chairs. I am thinking of getting us a smaller table and a kids table to put in there IF my numbers pick up enough.

The chairs for doing homework and such are in a different room and are child sized chairs.

I am not finding the size of the chair makes any difference. Yes I have had some issues on the sofa (with them standing on it and climbing on it), but the sofa issues are not as often the chairs are every time they sit in them.

My main issue is that when they are messing around in the kitchen chairs, I can hear the chairs making noises, so I am afraid of breakage. The tipping of chairs, well I don't want them getting hurt. I just wish I could at least slow the issue down. Say we are in the kitchen for 20 minutes for a snack, I have to remind them each at least 10 times, to sit in the chair not sit on their knees, etc.
Reply Up