Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TSA Won't Allow You To Use Driver's License To Travel From These States
Michael 12:16 PM 12-24-2016
Starting Jan. 22, 2018, TSA security won't accept driver's licenses from these states as a valid form of ID.

Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington.

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016...avel/21640627/

I use my passport card when traveling. I'm surprised CA is not on that list.
Blackcat31 04:45 PM 12-24-2016
Originally Posted by Michael:
Starting Jan. 22, 2018, TSA security won't accept driver's licenses from these states as a valid form of ID.

Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington.

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016...avel/21640627/

I use my passport card when traveling. I'm surprised CA is not on that list.
Thankfully, I have an enhanced driver's license in MN
It is an exemption from this rule (for now)

http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php
https://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories
midaycare 05:43 PM 12-24-2016
What is the reason for this? We're all one country...!!!
Michael 05:59 PM 12-24-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
What is the reason for this? We're all one country...!!!
I think it's because some states are allowing undocumented visitors to have drivers licenses.
midaycare 09:07 PM 12-24-2016
I think it's because some states are allowing undocumented visitors to have drivers licenses.
It seems a bit much to me...are we going to do patrols on all state borders?
Mad_Pistachio 11:58 AM 12-25-2016
yet Illinois is not on that list...
spedmommy4 04:30 PM 12-25-2016
The article references new rules regarding the security of drivers licenses. The states whose IDs are no longer accepted don't meet the new requirements. (They either don't contain the required information or security features).

If the decision had anything to do with non citizens being permitted to have a license, California would be on the list as well.
Mad_Pistachio 04:47 PM 12-25-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
If the decision had anything to do with non citizens being permitted to have a license, California would be on the list as well.
non-citizen and undocumented is not the same thing.
spedmommy4 05:23 PM 12-25-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
non-citizen and undocumented is not the same thing.
It was what came to mind when I typed. My word retrieval isn't ideal today. I am functioning on very short nap from last night . . . My neighbors enjoyed Christmas Eve merriment until 4 am
Michael 12:13 PM 12-26-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
The article references new rules regarding the security of drivers licenses. The states whose IDs are no longer accepted don't meet the new requirements. (They either don't contain the required information or security features).

Interesting. I guess it has more to do about forgery. Are the licenses from the above states that easy to forge?
spedmommy4 03:19 PM 12-26-2016
Interesting. I guess it has more to do about forgery. Are the licenses from the above states that easy to forge?
I honestly wouldn't think so, but forging documents is way out of my league. California and Oregon are on temporary extensions . . . and both our states have pretty fancy high tech licenses.

There is more information about the federal "read ID" law here. https://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses

On this site, you can also check whether or not your state in in compliance or on an extension. A lot of states are still going to be accepted after the 1st, but are only on an extension.
MyAngels 07:51 PM 12-26-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
yet Illinois is not on that list...
We're not on the list yet, but we will be as soon as we run out of extensions

We can't even pass a budget to pay the bills we already have, let alone come up with the 50-60 million dollars that we're going to need to comply with this new law
happymom 09:10 AM 12-27-2016
Heck yeah, my state is compliant!
Febby 05:09 PM 12-27-2016
Well, good thing I wasn't planning on flying anywhere in the near future. But I did know this was coming since my state has repeatedly had to get extensions...
LysesKids 04:47 AM 12-28-2016
Originally Posted by Febby:
Well, good thing I wasn't planning on flying anywhere in the near future. But I did know this was coming since my state has repeatedly had to get extensions...
If you have a passport, just use that as ID when traveling
Mom2Two 03:40 PM 01-01-2017
Somehow I missed hearing about this at all. I don't remember anyone checking for ID last time I drove to Arizona or Idaho.

Does it have to do with terrorist fears? I think that there have been forgeries for a long time.

Funny conversation about 20 years ago with a friend from Honduras who married an American: He told us that his brother and family had gotten here the the undocumented way. I asked him about how they worked etc and he was very free with telling us how on the streets you could get crummy forgeries for $20 or for $100 you could get way better quality.
Tags:identification, traveling with dc kids
Reply Up