Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rates For Part-Time Children And Vacations
bllarue 07:38 AM 01-02-2017
Hi, after 10 years I decided it was in my best interest to have a daycare contract for my families. this is something new and i am struggling with being fair to the families but still protecting myself financially. The majority of my families are part time kids. Hours vary week to week...some weeks they schedule 5 hours, another week may be 15 hours and again, other weeks they may not schedule their children at all. i would like to charge a set rate of $8/hr for 5-10 hrs a week and $6/hr for 11 or more hours a week. I want to give each family 2 weeks of vacation time for free but i dont know what i should charge for a flat rate for the families that dont schedule their children on certain weeks and for the families that choose to take 3 weeks of vacation or more. I also supply meals and snacks and on some occasions, transport kids to and from school. Thank you for any advice
Play Care 07:52 AM 01-02-2017
I don't do hourly, but my PT families pay for the days they are contracted for, regardless if they use them, or I'm closed, etc. I also don't allow switching of days, so if I'm closed on a day they normally attend, they can't ask to come a different day that week. They can add a day *if* I have space, but they have to pay for it. I go over this in great detail when I have an interview for PT care.

I only give FT families vacation time, as I feel they earn that perk. PT families are already getting a break.
bllarue 08:06 AM 01-02-2017
i iam finding it hard to even charged them for contracted days because 1 week, I might have the kids on a monday, and the following week, it may be a thursady and friday. thats why i thought it would be easier to do a hourly rate.
LysesKids 09:05 AM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by bllarue:
i iam finding it hard to even charged them for contracted days because 1 week, I might have the kids on a monday, and the following week, it may be a thursady and friday. thats why i thought it would be easier to do a hourly rate.
I would do at least a daily rate with a minimum of 4 hrs a day regardless of actual need. I mean it's not like you can fill in the unused time with another child most the time - I only offer daily rates for my Drop-in families with no guarantee of availability. My part time is limited to 3 days week up to 24 hrs, FT is anything between 25-50 hrs

FT & PT pay flat rate each week regardless of use and I do set days only for PT, no switching. If you have a rotating PT schedule here I require that you contract a FT position so all the days/hrs you might need are available, otherwise you go the Daily route & keep your fingers crossed a spot is available when you need it
Jazzii 09:54 AM 01-02-2017
We contract number of days not hours. So we have a family that is flex but they're child will be always be here 3 days. So their contract is for any 3 days between the hours of 7:30 and 4:30
bllarue 10:06 AM 01-02-2017
ok, so if you dont mind me asking, what do you charge for maximum of 2-3 days/24 hours of PT weekly?
Jazzii 10:38 AM 01-02-2017
depends. with PT we use daily rate. So for an infant (up to age 2) it's 135$ ( 3 days) and 90$ for 2 days. But they would HAVE to come 2 days or they would HAVE to come 3. Their contract would be 3 days weekly.
bllarue 12:01 PM 01-02-2017
ty everyone for your help, i have been charging a hourly rate for all my families for 10 years now, so this daily rate will be a change for me and all my current families but i believe it will be easier in the long run. I do have one more question. your daily rate, is that for each kid, or for a family? some of my families have 2, or more kids. any discounts given for families with multi children attending??
LysesKids 12:22 PM 01-02-2017
ok, so if you dont mind me asking, what do you charge for maximum of 2-3 days/24 hours of PT weekly?
I charge for a straight 24hrs which is the limit for my PT, how much they use is up to them, but I limit it to 10 hrs daily; my PTimers currently do three 8 hr days (350 month)... FT I charge the 50 hrs (540 month). Families have the option of using just a few days rotating or all 5, again limited to 10 hrs day.

I get paid by the first of every month instead of weekly (exception is daily drop-in which is 35 day per kid) but with the Holiday everyone will pay at drop-off tomorrow (I was closed last week); I have my time off factored into my monthly fees so I don't deduct any time I am closed. I don't offer discounts because I am limited on how many kids can attend at anytime
Jazzii 01:26 PM 01-02-2017
ty everyone for your help, i have been charging a hourly rate for all my families for 10 years now, so this daily rate will be a change for me and all my current families but i believe it will be easier in the long run. I do have one more question. your daily rate, is that for each kid, or for a family? some of my families have 2, or more kids. any discounts given for families with multi children attending??
That is per child, and the discount depends on you, typically it's only about 5%
284878 12:48 PM 01-03-2017
Originally Posted by Jazzii:
That is per child, and the discount depends on you, typically it's only about 5%
The discount should be on the oldest child only our the second child. So if they pull a child or one child goes to Grandma's for vacation, they pay the higher of the two rates until the second child returns.

Also if you change your mind and do hourly for even one family, Require a minimum number of hours reserved each week. Like say 10 hrs, then they can buy more hours as needed but only prearranged.
Tags:flat rate, paid vacations, part time rate
Reply Up