Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy on Wet Wipes
kdparadise 10:36 AM 05-26-2010
I'm really going back and forth on my policy for wet wipes. Initially I was going to provide all the wet wipes, but I know they get costly.

My latest idea is to request a standard pack of wet wipes weekly to provided every monday. I will do what I want with them and use them!
tenderhearts 10:39 AM 05-26-2010
I supply the baby wipes, it's just easier for me.
kdparadise 10:48 AM 05-26-2010
How many kiddos do you have and what ages? How many wet wipe packs do you go through in a week or a month?

What I'm getting at is, how much do you spend monthly on baby wipes?
Crystal 10:59 AM 05-26-2010
Parents provide them here, but only for diapering. All parents bring a full bag of diapers and 1-2 packs of wipes, when I have 1-2 days worth left, I let them know and they bring more.

I think most parents would not like the idea of having to bring a pack of wipes every week....that's alot of wipes for one child, and they probably won't like the idea of them being used for just anything you choose.
tymaboy 11:04 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Parents provide them here, but only for diapering. All parents bring a full bag of diapers and 1-2 packs of wipes, when I have 1-2 days worth left, I let them know and they bring more.

I think most parents would not like the idea of having to bring a pack of wipes every week....that's alot of wipes for one child, and they probably won't like the idea of them being used for just anything you choose.
Same here. Every so often I will use them for something other then their butts but not very often. I use clorox wipes as a quick wipe up of counters or toys & I buy the box of rags (something simular) to wipe their faces & hands off before they get up from eating.
momofsix 11:07 AM 05-26-2010
I supply the wipes, mostly because I don't like the cheap ones, and that's what the parents tend to bring. I buy a huge box of Huggies wipes at Sam's Club and it lasts me quite a while--and I have 6 still in diapers.(not full time, but at least 3-4/day in diapers) I haven't been good about keeping track of how long exactly they last, so can't tell you that, but it's no where near a package per week for each child!
emosks 11:11 AM 05-26-2010
We have 2 diaper changing stations set up in the daycare. One is in the main daycare room where each kid has their own box of wipes that the parents supply. When we are on the main level of the house for breakfast and lunch we just use our own wipes that the "daycare" buys.
momma2girls 11:12 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I supply the wipes, mostly because I don't like the cheap ones, and that's what the parents tend to bring. I buy a huge box of Huggies wipes at Sam's Club and it lasts me quite a while--and I have 6 still in diapers.(not full time, but at least 3-4/day in diapers) I haven't been good about keeping track of how long exactly they last, so can't tell you that, but it's no where near a package per week for each child!
I hate the cheap ones as well. I am lucky right now they all buy name brand ones. I do use baby wipes, for clean ups as well. I use them for after meals, clean up from activities, snacks, etc. I have the parents all supply a box, or refills about once every 3- 4months, I just rotate it on whos turn it is for everything else. I started this about 2 yrs. ago, when the flu started going around badly. I used ot use 7-8 washclothes a day!! Too much washing, etc. now with the baby wipes, we use it and throw it.
kdparadise 11:13 AM 05-26-2010
Oh, ehem, I guess between hubby and I we've always used more on our own kiddos in diapering! I must be using way to much!

A provider I use seems to go through way more than I like, she goes through about a pack per week, that's why I think a set amount or just providing it for the kids is better.
misol 11:13 AM 05-26-2010
I have all parents of children in diapers supply wipes for their child as needed. If I use wipes for anything other than diaper changes (like faces, hands, etc.) then I supply them.

Are all of your kiddos in diapers? A pack a week seems like a lot to me. I buy Costco wipes and there are 100 in each package but I think other brands have like 72-80 in each package. Maybe a pack every 2 weeks?
kdparadise 11:23 AM 05-26-2010
Thank you everyone! You guys are really helping me! I think for now, I'm over thinking perhaps. I think I'll just provide all the wet wipes and see.
momma2girls 12:09 PM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by kdparadise:
Thank you everyone! You guys are really helping me! I think for now, I'm over thinking perhaps. I think I'll just provide all the wet wipes and see.
At first when I started donig wet wipes for this and that- I purchased them all, and it got pretty expensive- only 60-70 in a tub- so now between 4 daycare children and myself, I only have parents bring one cont. in every 3-4 months. If they use them yet for diaper changes, I just use the same ones that are brought here, otherwise they supply them. I was going thru a tub every week-2 weeks
SimpleMom 12:33 PM 05-26-2010
Parents supply the wipes (If child is in diapers) and diapers. My families are mostly here 3 days a week. The wipes last about a month.
originalkat 12:57 PM 05-26-2010
I buy the wipes. I usually buy one large jumbo pack every two weeks. Although I only have 2 in diapers. The rest I use for hands and faces or for the kids when they want to clean things (like the table).
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:54 PM 05-26-2010
We have parents to supply their own child's wipes and diapers. They just bring them in a diaper bag, so when we change a diaper we just grab that child's bag and get his diapers and wipes out. If we're wiping their hands and face after a messy meal, we try to use their own wipes, but sometimes we just grab the handiest. It evens out in the end because it's always random whose we grab, if it's not that specific child's. Right now we have 6 in diapers on most days (soon to be 7), so we'd be going through too many wipes to supply them ourselves.
dice401 09:16 PM 05-26-2010
I supply all wipes here... I use them for everything! I buy the cases of pampers wipes and they seem to last me at least 2 months... and at 14.99/case its cheap
QualiTcare 09:59 PM 05-26-2010
i only have one kid that needs wipes and the parent supplies them.

i did work at a daycare once that made their own wipes using bounty paper towels and baby wash. they'd fold the towel into 1/4 of it's size, stack them up into a plastic bin, fill it up with water, baby wash, and then drain the excess water. they were actually really soft - suprisingly.

when they started cutting the budget, they tried to do the same thing with generic paper towels and i voiced my disgust. they were ROUGH! after that, they started asking parents to bring one pack of wipes (not a case, a pack) each month - but that was a chain daycare so there were a lot of kids.

the bounty towels is an option though if it's an issue for you.
Lucy 10:43 PM 05-26-2010
Whoever brings a baby to my home daycare brings a diaper bag with diapers, wipes, desitin or whatever they use, bottles and the contents of the bottles that will be needed for that day, cereal and/or jar food that will be needed that day, other necessities such as ear thermometer, baby tylenol, etc., as well as a few changes of clothes. Once they don't need jar food or formula anymore, I supply the food and milk. I never supply the diapers or wipes. And I never store their stuff in my house. They bring a diaper bag each day, and take it home each day.
happykidschildcare 12:21 AM 05-27-2010
I have parents bring diapers and wipes, however I also hate the cheap wipes and usually use the cheaper ones for cleaning up after means and I buy the huggies wipes for diaper changing.
nannyde 04:00 AM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Whoever brings a baby to my home daycare brings a diaper bag with diapers, wipes, desitin or whatever they use, bottles and the contents of the bottles that will be needed for that day, cereal and/or jar food that will be needed that day, other necessities such as ear thermometer, baby tylenol, etc., as well as a few changes of clothes. Once they don't need jar food or formula anymore, I supply the food and milk. I never supply the diapers or wipes. And I never store their stuff in my house. They bring a diaper bag each day, and take it home each day.
I don't do diaper bags back and forth. I learned years ago that very quickly after the kid started the bag would be filthy and rarely cleaned out. I also could not have any "medicine" sitting in unlocked spaces. We are required to lock up all medicines (tylenol, butt creams etc.) so either each bag would have to remained locked or each day everything that needed to be locked would have to be removed.

I also learned early on that any time you have a parent bringing something every day that there would be issues with them being compliant. I switched to diapers coming in twice a month and wipes coming in once a month. I keep the stock here. I also do not allow any generic or scented wipes. I do not allow any generic diapers either.

I only use wipes for butts. Never for anything else. We keep a warm rag bucket on hand and just pull out the rags for cleaning kids and equipment as we need it. I do wash a load of rags a day here but I can throw them in the cold wash or hot wash so they are just fillers to my regular laundry. The kids are in charge of folding and returning the rags as part of their chores in the house.
TGT09 04:51 AM 05-27-2010
I supply wipes but I only have had a maximum of 3 kids using them. That's on the upper end of things and I normally only have 1 or 2 using them. It's just easier since I use them for everything.
MarinaVanessa 01:21 PM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:

Yup, mee too. Parent's provide wipes for their own child and I let them know when they are running low. Not all parents like the same kinds of wipes and instead of getting into it with them about which ones I prefer to use (Kirkland because I can buy them in bulk and for cheap) I just have them provide them. I have a tub labeled with each child's name (if they are still in diapers) and keep them in their cubby. That way only that child uses that tub of wipe. If I was a parent I wouldn't want to be forced to bring a tub of wipes each week if my child didn't need them all or if they were shared with the other kids. Same goes with diapers.
kiddieshack 01:33 PM 05-27-2010
I supply wipes here, but when a new family starts, i request 2 containers of wipes..which helps.
Greenshadow 04:51 PM 06-02-2010
The parent supply their own wipes. When they get low, I tell them and they bring more. They supply diapers and they supply diaper cream. I have a changing table with a cabinet under it that is labeled for each childs things. It works great. I do not use wipes for anything else but their diaper changing. I make my own cleaner with vinegar and water and use that for everything.
Anna 07:08 PM 06-02-2010
I also have the parents supply wipes and diapers. I only use wipes for diapering and a case will last me quite sometime. When children first start I have them bring a container and everytime I diaper them I pull out the childs container. The children don't share their wipes. For surfaces and toys I use clorox or lysol disinfectant wipes. I also have a changing station where each child can keep extra clothes, diapers, wipes, etc. For infants, parents supply spit up rags and I send all the dirty laundry home at the end of the week (spit up rags, blankie, etc.). I don't do any of the childrens laundry. I haven't had any problems with parents bringing generic wipes or diapers (knock on wood).
Tags:diaper, wet wipes
Reply Up