Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accounting Help Please
PAMommy1228 05:30 AM 10-14-2010
Alright I need help with something real quick if someone has time.

I have a parent that owes me about 800 back. And this same parent asked me to change her pay schedule to the last 2 weeks of every month instead of every other week since all her bills are due the first 2 weeks of every month (so are mine, but oh well). I agreed. Here is my problem. Some months are usually 3 pay days like this month. She would have been paying the 1st, the 15th and the 29th. Now she is paying the 15th, and the 22nd.

Her thought process in this is that oh, she already paid me once this month, so she only owes 1 week, and the other can be used for the back balance, which doesn't make sense to me. since she would have paid 3 times this month anyway. Am I crazy? lol

I worked this 3 different ways, by adding up what she would owe by the end of the year, then subtracting future payments, and what she paid, and I still end up with a 800 balance.

But when I do by days for the month, she only owes the 2 weeks.

And I did weekly and came up with that she owes 800 still too. Can someone help me?

She pays 215 a week, and she gets $365 a month from the state to help pay. So monthly she owes 559, or 130 per week. And I am using a 4.3 month schedule because that's what the state uses to determine their fee. I am so confused. Also during the summer she doesn't come, but she did for part of the week, so I didn't charge her the full 215, so I took off 1000 for the part time during the summer from her yearly, which makes it 11,080.

Don't know if this all makes sense. I would love it if someone could help me. I don't want to say something until I know for positive that I am right or wrong.
MommyMuffin 05:48 AM 10-14-2010
I dont know that I am really following but this is what I see.
$215 a week no matter what...so for october she would "pay" for oct 1,oct 8, oct 15, oct, 22, oct 29. On the 15th she would pay for the 1, 8,15. Then oct 22, pay for the week of the 22, and 29th. But this depends if last month she paid for oct 1st?? After you check it out then I would deduct the assistance money.
I see how this can get weird...hmmm. I have to see everything on paper myself. I would just make a calendar and go back a few weeks and months and follow the trail to see if when she paid in sept that it included the 27 - 1st. Either way if you draw it out it will be easier to explain it to her too.
PAMommy1228 05:52 AM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I dont know that I am really following but this is what I see.
$215 a week no matter what...so for october she would "pay" for oct 1,oct 8, oct 15, oct, 22, oct 29. On the 15th she would pay for the 1, 8,15. Then oct 22, pay for the week of the 22, and 29th. But this depends if last month she paid for oct 1st?? After you check it out then I would deduct the assistance money.
I see how this can get weird...hmmm. I have to see everything on paper myself. I would just make a calendar and go back a few weeks and months and follow the trail to see if when she paid in sept that it included the 27 - 1st. Either way if you draw it out it will be easier to explain it to her too.
She did pay on the 1st like she should have. I think she is going monthly, where I am going weekly, and they don't add up.

The calendar idea does sound like a good plan. I've always given her an invoice after a few months to show what she has paid and what she owes.
momma2girls 10:38 AM 10-14-2010
I will only do a weekly payment and payment is due on Mon. of each week, the start of the week.
AfterSchoolMom 12:54 PM 10-14-2010
I'd think that regardless of WHEN she is paying, she owes you for the times that her child(ren) are in your care. If her child(ren) attend full time, then no matter when she pays, be it weekly, bi monthly, or what - it's still the same amount of care given, right? Here's what I'd think:

$215/week for 4 week months = $860 (Before state assistance)
$215/week for 5 week months = $1075 (Before state assistance)

So she'd owe $495/month at $247.50 per payment (4 week month) or $680/month at $340 per payment (5 week month). Same amount owed regardless of the actual dates that she pays.

Just my 2 cents - I could be completely wrong, but that's the way I'd do it.
Tags:accountant
Reply Up