Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reduced Rate For Multiple Children
thecrazyisout 04:40 PM 05-23-2011
Hi there,

Just wondering if you have a reduced rate for families with multiple children in your care.

Thanks a bunch!
WDW 04:52 PM 05-23-2011
I do give a discount for a 2nd child. I kind of wish I didn't, but in my area it's the way it is. My family of two was one of my original families when I started, so I gave them a bigger discount than I should have when the baby was born. The formula I plan to use if I have siblings again is full time rate for one kid and then one "free" day for the 2nd kid. So if your rate is $20 a day, first kid pays that, the 2nd one would pay $80... or $16 a day for the five days. Make sense?
Maddy'sMommy 04:59 PM 05-23-2011
I don't advertise a discount for multiple children, but I will offer one depending on the family and the hours they want.
daycare 05:25 PM 05-23-2011
i would only offer a sib discount for those children who are Full Time. in my eyes going part time you are already getting a discount.
wdmmom 05:44 PM 05-23-2011
The youngest child has the higher rate so I give the family a 25% discount for the 2nd child. If they want to pay monthly I give them another 5%.
MyAngels 06:45 PM 05-23-2011
I used to give 10% off of the lowest rate for two kids. I've never had three kids, so never dealt with that. I stopped doing that this year, though, after someone on this board brought up the fact that we don't give discounted care for a second child.
nannyde 07:16 PM 05-23-2011
If you are going to give sibling discounts I reccommend requiring a very long notice period. Something along the lines of three calander months notice should two children leave the day care. I only accept notices on Fridays (payday). If the client has three it should be even longer.

If you are going to give a discount make sure it is specifically for the oldest child who has the highest liklihood to leave care as he/she ages. Then make it clear that the regular rate for the other child will go into affect.

Discounts should ALWAYS be tied into notice time. The agreement with the parents should be that you are giving the discount based on their signed agreement that should they leave care that you will receive three calander months notice when one or more of the children are to leave care. Also keep a weekly running tab that is provided to the parents of the cash value of the discount. If you are giving them a 50 dollar a week discount then it should appear on their receipt weekly what the sum TOTAL of that is on a week to week basis. By week five they should see a line that says "Total sibling dicount to date: $250.00. Next week: Total sibling dicount to date:$300.00.

They need to see IN WRITING the amount of the discount and how it adds up so significantly over time. It's good for the provider to see it in writing too so she understands the magnitude of what she is offering.

I'm not one to give discounts because I don't believe the parents really see it as a discount. Your discounted rate IS the rate for them. They don't look at it that way. If you feel you need to do it you need some way to communicate to them and remind yourself what you are doing weekly. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...light=discount
MarinaVanessa 08:03 PM 05-23-2011
So true Nan. I never really thought of writing how much in discounts families can get, that's a great idea. It's so in your face for both the provider and the families to see how much is being saved. I'm lucky that as of this moment I don't have siblings in my care. All single children. I do have one DCB that is expecting a baby sister late next month which I will be caring for come September however I'll be losing DCB to kinder in august so no sibling discount there. Like I said, I'm lucky. I don't advertise sibling discounts anymore. If one of my families has another baby then we can talk and maybe negotiate... Maybe.
Lucy 08:20 PM 05-23-2011
If they don't mention it, I don't offer it. Really, it isn't fair to us.

However, if they ask for it -- in an effort to show willingness to work with them, I will accept. What they don't know is that I bump up their base rate before I "discount" it. Sneaky, eh? And/or I will give a discount, but gee whiz, by coincidence, 6 months later it will be time for my "much needed and a long time in coming" rate increase. (Just for them, but they don't need to know that.)
morgan24 05:58 AM 05-24-2011
I give a discount because everyone else here does. I am one of the few who doesn't require notice. Most of my kids have aged out, if I get notice it's because the dcps are not happy with something. The last one to give me notice a couple of years ago was because I wouldn't let 4 year old dcb sit in front of the T.V. for 2 hours to wake up in the morning before he had to start his day. I didn't want 2 weeks notice, they were uphappy or I was happy to let them leave the same day.
countrymom 06:05 AM 05-24-2011
I give a 5 dollar discount.
SilverSabre25 06:29 AM 05-24-2011
I don't because, as it's been pointed out, I don't give discounted care to anyone. It's the same logic for why I don't charge more for the younger ages--I provide the same level of care to everyone. In their own way, babies are WAY easier than older kids, just as in their own way the older kids are easier than the babies. It's all about perspective.
Lilbutterflie 06:38 AM 05-24-2011
I used to. I only keep 3 children, and all 3 of these spots were filled by siblings one year ago. Not only did I give her 10% off each additional child as my contract stated, she asked me to give her a 10% discount on all 3 children and I agreed! I cringe to think how much money I lost by doing that. And one of the children has progressively transitioned into to the most defiant and violent children I've ever had to deal with. I was giving her dirt cheap daycare with a super low ratio, and also providing special needs care IMO for the defiant/violent boy.

Biggest mistake EVER. Now I am scrambling to fill all 3 of my spots at once b/c they gave me a two week notice. Just like NannyDe said, if you are going to provide a discount, make sure they have to give you a month notice or more.
Sunshine44 06:50 AM 05-24-2011
I no longer have a discount at all. I've found I can find someone to fill a spot for the fulltime price. I used to have it pay by the day...now I have a flat rate for the whole week no matter how many days you come. But no, I don't give sibling discounts.
AnythingsPossible 06:59 AM 05-24-2011
The only thing I offer discount wise is in the case of sibling pairs where one is an infant. I offer the regular rate for the infant. Saves the family around 40.00/month, but once the infant is older, I don't offer any other discounts.
momma2girls 07:28 AM 05-24-2011
I give a $10.00 disc. for the sibling- I used to give $30.00 disc. for both of them, not anymore. I changed my rates for siblings, just this yr. but even $10.00 a week, will be $40.00 a month, and over $500.00 a yr.
WImom 12:40 PM 05-24-2011
I don't since it's harder to fill two spots than one.
nannyde 04:41 PM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I used to. I only keep 3 children, and all 3 of these spots were filled by siblings one year ago. Not only did I give her 10% off each additional child as my contract stated, she asked me to give her a 10% discount on all 3 children and I agreed! I cringe to think how much money I lost by doing that. And one of the children has progressively transitioned into to the most defiant and violent children I've ever had to deal with. I was giving her dirt cheap daycare with a super low ratio, and also providing special needs care IMO for the defiant/violent boy.

Biggest mistake EVER. Now I am scrambling to fill all 3 of my spots at once b/c they gave me a two week notice. Just like NannyDe said, if you are going to provide a discount, make sure they have to give you a month notice or more.
Lil,

How do you think she could afford a center?

If she was getting dirt cheap daycare from you... how do you think she so easily and quickly afford a center?

Do you know the rates of the center she is going to? Do you know the difference in their price and yours?
Reply Up