Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing Tomorrow
Nellie 02:26 PM 01-15-2012
I'm interviewing a new family tomarrow. I HATE this part of the job. I haven't had to do one in over a year. Last fall I was considering adding another child to the group. Once the calls started coming in my anxiety went into overdrive and I told every one that I was full. I just lost a child so I need to replace him. I wish I didn't have to do this...............
Michael 02:45 PM 01-15-2012
Good luck. Don't know if you ever read NannyD's article on Interviewing:

The Art of the Interview "Nannyde" Style - Part 1
The Art of the Interview "Nannyde" Style - Part 2
DaycareMama 02:56 PM 01-15-2012
Interviews are hard for me to. I have one on Wednesday and no matter how much time I have to prepare I ALWAYS feel awkward and unprepared. The best advice I can give you is have a plan for yourself. I keep a checklist of everything I want to discuss and know from the parents. On that checklist I leave room for myself to keep notes on their answers so I don't forget with my nerves lol. Have all your documents ready a head of time and just keep telling your self that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. But ultimately its your decision if the family is a good fit. You'll do great! Hopefully we'll both be adding new families that are good fits. Good luck.
PitterPatter 05:47 PM 01-15-2012
Interviews are the worst for me as I get extremely nervous!! Once the families are in care for a little while I wonder why I was so worried. Then it happens all over again. Same with when a client leaves, if it was a term on my part anyway. I go through the whole stress and worry if they will follow through on threats against my business and reputation.

I would love to invent an anti worry pill we can take before we enter into these moments.

Until then I just try to have faith! Have faith in yourself and your business no matter if it's enrolling a newcomer or letting go of an old one.

Good luck to you!
cheerfuldom 06:51 AM 01-16-2012
I stop getting nervous once I took control of the interview. I interview the parents....I have questions about them and their child to make sure they are a good fit for me. If they have questions, fine but I consider the interview just as much for me as for them. I also keep it to about 30 minutes tops. At that point I let them know that they are welcome to call or email with any other questions and off they go. Don't feel like you have to sit around in an awkward conversation for hours.
Meeko 10:22 AM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I stop getting nervous once I took control of the interview. I interview the parents....I have questions about them and their child to make sure they are a good fit for me. If they have questions, fine but I consider the interview just as much for me as for them. I also keep it to about 30 minutes tops. At that point I let them know that they are welcome to call or email with any other questions and off they go. Don't feel like you have to sit around in an awkward conversation for hours.
This exactly. I used to be nervous. I felt like I was going to job interviews...over and over.

I changed my mindset. I'm not a babysitter. These people are NOT interviewing me for a job. They are merely coming to look around MY day care. I TELL them how we do things. I ask lots of questions. Of course, they are free to ask lots of questions too, but I know I get the message across that they are not interviewing me for a job. They will never be my employers. I am super friendly and professional and make sure I ooze confidence in my program. But I make sure they pick up early on that I am in charge in my house.

Over the years I have had a few parents who act as though they are interviewing their next nanny. I nip that in the bud straight away. I smile sweetly and let them know I am interviewing several families for the same spot and I will let THEM know if I choose their child.

Be the interviewer and not the interviewee and things get MUCH easier!
Ariana 11:33 AM 01-16-2012
Just wanted to send you positive vibes for the interview!!!

Good luck, it'll be over before you know it
Nellie 12:17 PM 01-16-2012
Thanks every one for the encouragement. I think it went well, but really didn't know how to read the lady. Most of my families I've taken on have asked when they could start after the interview. I did find out that I'm probable out of there way a bit. Right now they are only 10 mins away from there jobs and I'm 5 to 6 mins in the opposite direction. So if they went with me they would be almost doubling there daily drive. We had talked alot over the phone and by email, so there really wasn't to much in the form of questions on both are part. I hate talking, so I just kept trying to talk. This is there first daycare experience for there child. Up until now they have had a nanny come to there house and watch the child for a few hours while the parents worked opposite shifts. The mom is now moving to dayshifts. Oh well it done and over with now. Have one more under the belt for next time(and my house is super clean). Thanks again every one.
Mary Poppins 12:20 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
This exactly. I used to be nervous. I felt like I was going to job interviews...over and over.

I changed my mindset. I'm not a babysitter. These people are NOT interviewing me for a job. They are merely coming to look around MY day care. I TELL them how we do things. I ask lots of questions. Of course, they are free to ask lots of questions too, but I know I get the message across that they are not interviewing me for a job. They will never be my employers. I am super friendly and professional and make sure I ooze confidence in my program. But I make sure they pick up early on that I am in charge in my house.

Over the years I have had a few parents who act as though they are interviewing their next nanny. I nip that in the bud straight away. I smile sweetly and let them know I am interviewing several families for the same spot and I will let THEM know if I choose their child.

Be the interviewer and not the interviewee and things get MUCH easier!
I do exactly this and even though I am nervous right up until that doorbell rings, it suddenly *poof* disappears when I open that door and I am fully "on" and in charge. It's great!

I did get the vibe from one client who clearly didn't expect ME to be conducting the interview. She almost seemed offended that I had questions for HER.

I guess it helps that I don't HAVE to rely on dc income, it is just gravy for my family. I think that takes a ton of the pressure off both doing interviews and terming problem clients.
Mary Poppins 12:29 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Good luck. Don't know if you ever read NannyD's article on Interviewing:

The Art of the Interview "Nannyde" Style - Part 1
The Art of the Interview "Nannyde" Style - Part 2
She has some great tips, but I honestly don't think many potential clients are willing to jump through such hoops to get a spot at most dcs right now:

Originally Posted by :
I do a series of three interviews over a period of weeks before a family starts in my home. I like to take my time and get to know them. I usually spend five to six hours with them total before the child’s first day.
At least not around here, it is a buyer's market where there is a dc on every corner (or at least a SAHM willing to watch their kids for next to nothing) and so many who need care ASAP (probably because it is a buyer's market and they are bouncing around grrr).

Maybe it works well for her but if I tried doing a two or three week stretch for interviews? I'd probably have to close up shop.
daycare 12:53 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Nellie:
I'm interviewing a new family tomarrow. I HATE this part of the job. I haven't had to do one in over a year. Last fall I was considering adding another child to the group. Once the calls started coming in my anxiety went into overdrive and I told every one that I was full. I just lost a child so I need to replace him. I wish I didn't have to do this...............
You just have to know your stuff...
know what you have to offer that no one else in your area does.
take control of the interview in the start and then invite them to ask questions

DONT give out personal information or complain about present or past parents/children

tell/show them what a typical day would be like in your care. do you have an album of pics of the kids in action?

ask why they need DC
who is going to be there back-up care if the child is sick or your DC is closed
Find out if they were in DC before and if so why they are leaving or why did they leave their last provider.

Remember, what you do is great, if you show them how great you are, it's an easy sell.
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
She has some great tips, but I honestly don't think many potential clients are willing to jump through such hoops to get a spot at most dcs right now:

At least not around here, it is a buyer's market where there is a dc on every corner (or at least a SAHM willing to watch their kids for next to nothing) and so many who need care ASAP (probably because it is a buyer's market and they are bouncing around grrr).

Maybe it works well for her but if I tried doing a two or three week stretch for interviews? I'd probably have to close up shop.
I recently started doing something similar to Nan. I do 3 interviews. One is just a stop 'n go for the parents to see what the place is like. It is VERY informal and rarely more than 30 minutes. I try to schedule the initial interview in the morning around 10 a.m. If they like what they see so far, I invite them to schedule another interview within the next 7 days for PARENTS only.

I use the second interview to go over all my policies and rules and answer questions they may have from the first visit. This interview is at the end of the day when no other kids or parents are present. If at the end of this interview, they are still interested, I schedule a 3rd interview with in the next few days.

The third interview is for the parents AND child. Kind of like a play date so that I can see their child in action and how well they get along with the other daycare kids. I also use this time to get a more acurate guage on what the parents are like. for example are they, the helicopter, laid back, micro manager, over involved, not involved type etc etc... At the end of that interview (usually an hour) I tell them I have one or two more interviews to wrap up and I will get back to them with in 48 hours on whether I will be accepting their child into care or not.

Basically, I NEED to know if I click with them and their child. The one thing I have learned in my years in this business is I canNOT work with families who do not share some of the same parenting/educational approaches that I have. It would be like shoveling while it is still snowing and I am far too old to go there any more. I did my time in the trenches and I won't do it again.

Life is definitely too short to be miserable over something I have the power to change.

and FWIW~ If you spend time buidling a reputation and strong convictions for what you do, there are people out there who really do appreciate that. I have a waiting list with 4 kids on it. My first available opening won't be until September of this year and yet all of the parents want to reamain on my list. (*I call and check every 30 days.)
Mary Poppins 04:17 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I recently started doing something similar to Nan. I do 3 interviews. One is just a stop 'n go for the parents to see what the place is like. It is VERY informal and rarely more than 30 minutes. I try to schedule the initial interview in the morning around 10 a.m. If they like what they see so far, I invite them to schedule another interview within the next 7 days for PARENTS only.

I use the second interview to go over all my policies and rules and answer questions they may have from the first visit. This interview is at the end of the day when no other kids or parents are present. If at the end of this interview, they are still interested, I schedule a 3rd interview with in the next few days.

The third interview is for the parents AND child. Kind of like a play date so that I can see their child in action and how well they get along with the other daycare kids. I also use this time to get a more acurate guage on what the parents are like. for example are they, the helicopter, laid back, micro manager, over involved, not involved type etc etc... At the end of that interview (usually an hour) I tell them I have one or two more interviews to wrap up and I will get back to them with in 48 hours on whether I will be accepting their child into care or not.

Basically, I NEED to know if I click with them and their child. The one thing I have learned in my years in this business is I canNOT work with families who do not share some of the same parenting/educational approaches that I have. It would be like shoveling while it is still snowing and I am far too old to go there any more. I did my time in the trenches and I won't do it again.

Life is definitely too short to be miserable over something I have the power to change.

and FWIW~ If you spend time buidling a reputation and strong convictions for what you do, there are people out there who really do appreciate that. I have a waiting list with 4 kids on it. My first available opening won't be until September of this year and yet all of the parents want to reamain on my list. (*I call and check every 30 days.)
OK, now THIS sounds doable and completely rational. It's the "interviewing over several weeks" thing that I can't see happening at least around here. What you are doing sounds like something I'd love to start implementing in order to weed out the people that just aren't a fit.

So in all, how long do you stretch out the interviews? All in a week or so? If so. that sounds very reasonable.

I am looking for long term clients who are a good fit with my personality and who aren't looking for care TOMORROW (that's never a good sign) anyway.

Totally digging your approach. It's sort of a condensed version of Nans from the sounds of it.
Blackcat31 05:28 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
OK, now THIS sounds doable and completely rational. It's the "interviewing over several weeks" thing that I can't see happening at least around here. What you are doing sounds like something I'd love to start implementing in order to weed out the people that just aren't a fit.

So in all, how long do you stretch out the interviews? All in a week or so? If so. that sounds very reasonable.

I am looking for long term clients who are a good fit with my personality and who aren't looking for care TOMORROW (that's never a good sign) anyway.

Totally digging your approach. It's sort of a condensed version of Nans from the sounds of it.
Ultimately I would love to do all of it in one week but if parents aren't available to do so I will gladly accommodate them within a reasonable amount of time. I mean, I am not going to stretch it out over a month but up to 2 weeks is ok.

It is an excellent way to weed out clients that I just cannot see myself working with. Sadly, my tolerance level for certain parenting styles is not nearly as high as it used to be.

Yes, I would agree that it is a condensed version of Nans approach. She can do what she does because it works for her but like you already figured out, you gotta do what works for your community/area.
Tags:interview - nervous, interviewing nannyde style
Reply Up