Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Got a Call!!!
Nickel 02:14 PM 07-24-2012
I posted my ad and I got a call today I missed the hall because I was on the other line but when I hung up I noticed I had a new voicemail. It was someone calling about my home preschool. It's so excited.

BUT I'M AFRAID TO CALL HER BACK!!!!!!

I marketed my program as an educational preschool type environment (here they only have prek beginning at age 3 not really preschool). But I don't have a CDA or formal training, but I've worked at a cdc and I've done tons and tons of research. I'm setting up my home with learning centers, I have a curriculum (thanks to truely scrumptious) and I have circle time activities, educational materials, and I am making a activitie boards for the daily calendar, days of the week, ABC's, Colors, and shapes. So I am confident I can teach children in a safe and fun environment.

But I'm new and scared and what if I don't have the answer or or or.... I feel like a fraud because I don't have some diploma backing me up. But I know I can provide an educational environment. With the right tools and time. I mean, most parents can get their children kindergarten ready too with the time and commitment to do it. So I'm learning and doing the research and taking the online lessons through the dps website.

So is it wrong of me to market a preschool type program if I don't have the formal education or really experience. I mean I worked at a cdc but i didn't work in the preschool room. I was caring for infants. But my home is set up and I want to offer the preschool program.

I could really use advice because I want to take on a child, but I'm afraid to even call her back!!!
cheerfuldom 02:23 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I posted my ad and I got a call today I missed the hall because I was on the other line but when I hung up I noticed I had a new voicemail. It was someone calling about my home preschool. It's so excited.

BUT I'M AFRAID TO CALL HER BACK!!!!!!

I marketed my program as an educational preschool type environment (here they only have prek beginning at age 3 not really preschool). But I don't have a CDA or formal training, but I've worked at a cdc and I've done tons and tons of research. I'm setting up my home with learning centers, I have a curriculum (thanks to truely scrumptious) and I have circle time activities, educational materials, and I am making a activitie boards for the daily calendar, days of the week, ABC's, Colors, and shapes. So I am confident I can teach children in a safe and fun environment.

But I'm new and scared and what if I don't have the answer or or or.... I feel like a fraud because I don't have some diploma backing me up. But I know I can provide an educational environment. With the right tools and time. I mean, most parents can get their children kindergarten ready too with the time and commitment to do it. So I'm learning and doing the research and taking the online lessons through the dps website.

So is it wrong of me to market a preschool type program if I don't have the formal education or really experience. I mean I worked at a cdc but i didn't work in the preschool room. I was caring for infants. But my home is set up and I want to offer the preschool program.

I could really use advice because I want to take on a child, but I'm afraid to even call her back!!!
you need to have confidence in yourself and in your program. you wont be the right fit for every family and every child so dont stress about some things not working out. let parents know that experience counts for so much! you dont have to have an official diploma to be a legitmate caregiver. parents want someone who is confident in their skills and their program.
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 07-24-2012
Whoa Nellie.....slow down and stop worrying about the things you can't do and focus on the things you can do.

Providing a child with an educational environment doesn't mean you HAVE to have a whole bunch of letters after your name...kwim?

It simply means providing an environment in which the child can grow and develop correctly. They need self-help skills, social skills and exposure to those things within a group of peers which you will be doing.

The academic stuff comes easily and naturally to most kids as they are pre-programed or hard wired to want to learn more and more as they grow.....teaching children ABC's and 123's isn't rocket science....it is simply being available to assist and guide them on their journey.

Your biggest downfall isn't your lack of degree or your inexperience as a preschool "teacher"....your biggest downfall is your self doubt.

You CAN do this if YOU believe you can.....plus, that is why we (the forum/members) are all here. We can and will help you out any time you find yourself at a crossroads or a place where you just aren't sure of which way to go next.

CALL HER BACK!!!!! You have nothing to fear but fear itself....so stop sabbotaging your goals and call her!!!!!!!
Kiki 02:28 PM 07-24-2012
Agree with the two previous posters, and yay for calls! Chin up, and do the call back, schedule an interview and get some kids!
Truly Scrumptious 03:18 PM 07-24-2012
I've worked at a cdc and I've done tons and tons of research. I'm setting up my home with learning centers, I have a curriculum and I have circle time activities, educational materials, and I am making a activitie boards for the daily calendar, days of the week, ABC's, Colors, and shapes. So I am confident I can teach children in a safe and fun environment.
I'm learning and doing the research and taking the online lessons through the dps website.
:
There's your answer right there...if a parent questions you, just say what you just said above.... If asked about your "qualifications", you answered that too...you stated that you thought most parents could get their children ready for kindergarten if they took the time and were committed and that's what your going to do....take the time and make the committment...just be confident with your answers and own it.
Now call her back and get excited.
Nickel 06:17 PM 07-24-2012
Thank you thank you thank you. A million times thanlk you to all of you. Because of your awesome support I was able to muster up the courage to call AND she didn't answer

Go figure... Anyway, I did leave her a message and apologized for replying so late 7:30pm but I did have a girl scout meeting that ran late and that I would be available tonight and tomorrow if she wanted to call me back.

And you know what, you all are right. I do have the time and commitment to help the children learn and I have done the training on the dps website eventhough I didn't HAVE to do it. So I CAN do this. and she probably needs me more than I need her anyway. So I'm going to have the confidence to do this. I have a good program and I am confident that I can raise happy healthy children. So.... let's see if she calls back or if someone else calls...

thank you again everyone. i feel so much more confident now and better about my abilities. Your right, not rocket science. Just abcs and 123s lol
Nickel 07:37 PM 07-24-2012
She called me back. The phone call was a little awkward. I think we were both talking at the same time and it was a little weird. But she's coming next week! They are new to the area and she's looking at part time. It's not full time, but better than nothing. I'm guessing it will only be a few days per week but I'm still excited.

I got another email from cl. it was a little weird. It said hi, i hope your services is still available???

I'm not so sure I should even reply... Any suggestions? I had my email listed on the ad, but it was *** AT *** DOT com. I'm not sure I want them to have my email address. It just seems weird that someone wouldn't provide any information or ask on questions or anything... Anyone else get an email like this????

Thanks
Fruitloops1 07:47 PM 07-24-2012
I am the SAME EXACT WAY! I hyperventilate every time I get an inquiry about daycare! Gosh even when the DC phone rings!! I do a full on SPRINT to get to it and panic before I answer. 98% of the time I am saying no sorry wrong number! Hopefully after a few kiddos are enrolled this will be easy peasy!
Nickel 08:48 PM 07-24-2012
Hahahahaha!!! Yes, that's it... I always think I'll say the wrong thing or make an idiot out of myself! I HATE the phone. I really do. I have a small panic attick everytime I have to call someone I don't know. It makes me sweaty, my voice gets shaky, I breath heavier, and I get horrible butterflies in my stomach. It's like stage fright only over the phone. But I am GREAT at emails, text or online. Go figure. I'm more afraid of parents than I am of children!!!

OH... And small problem with my interview. I scheduled it for next Tuesday but I have a dr appt next Tuesday that I really can't cancel. Well, I could but I really don't want to! Should I move my interview or my appt?
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 07-25-2012
OH... And small problem with my interview. I scheduled it for next Tuesday but I have a dr appt next Tuesday that I really can't cancel. Well, I could but I really don't want to! Should I move my interview or my appt?
I would call and talk to the mom whom you have the interview with. Be honest and let her know that you have a doctor's appt and was wondering if she would reschedule for another time earlier or later in the day.

I am sure she will understand and appreciate your honesty. Just don't wait too long as she may be rearranging her day to make the interview.

Good luck! You will do great!!!
Reply Up