Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Pictures
thecrazyisout 08:28 AM 06-11-2013
Hi there Ladies, I am almost done transitioning my daycare into a full time photography business! I am so excited! I would like some opinions.....

1. Do you do "school" pictures with your kids?
2. What kind of interest do you think there is in this area for in-home daycares?
3. if you do this, what do you like/dislike about it?

Below are some thoughts I am putting together to promote "school" pictures for in-home daycares...what do you think?

My program would have the daycare provider host/hostess have the families pay for a session for their kids at a reasonable rate (undecided). The provider would recieve a complimentary session for hosting. Each family would recieve an 8x10 of the child, and 3 digital images. I am not sure how to set rates for this yet, but looking to see if this might be a good idea?????? I would go to the home of the provider/host or we could define a set location.

Thoughts, concerns?? Thanks for the input..... this post is not intended to gain business...I am hoping to gain some great thought/input on how to develop my idea! I hope you can help!
blandino 09:27 AM 06-11-2013
We have a photographer come and do "school pictures" for our daycare.

She was a BFF of a past DCM who does photography professionally. She comes out in Spring and Fall, and takes a group shot as well as individuals. She doesn't charge any sort of session fee, she instead sends home portrait packages (like elementary schools do) and the parents place their orders and return the proof sheet and order form to me and I submit them all to the photographer.

I think there is a need/desire for home daycare photography. All my parents love it. It can be a bit stressful on me, but the end result (the group photo) makes it all worth it. I think we are on our 5th group photo at this point, and I love brig able to remember each group.

My biggies piece of advice, is if you can afford it, bring an assistant to help rangle kids. We have two adults working, one stays inside with all the kids - and one walks each child out to have their individuals done. This is really stressful on the person who is left inside with all the kids. So if you were at a daycare where only one person was working, it would be incredibly stressful to execute.
originalkat 06:29 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:

She was a BFF of a past DCM who does photography professionally. She comes out in Spring and Fall, and takes a group shot as well as individuals. She doesn't charge any sort of session fee, she instead sends home portrait packages (like elementary schools do) and the parents place their orders and return the proof sheet and order form to me and I submit them all to the photographer.

I think there is a need/desire for home daycare photography. All my parents love it. It can be a bit stressful on me, but the end result (the group photo) makes it all worth it. I think we are on our 5th group photo at this point, and I love brig able to remember each group.

My biggies piece of advice, is if you can afford it, bring an assistant to help rangle kids. We have two adults working, one stays inside with all the kids - and one walks each child out to have their individuals done. This is really stressful on the person who is left inside with all the kids. So if you were at a daycare where only one person was working, it would be incredibly stressful to execute.
YES! Exactly this. We had a company in our area offering this. They did not charge the provider/parents a sitting fee and sent home proof packets for parents to order. I think it is GREAT! UNfortunatey, they changed their policies and now they wont go to home daycares (only center based). They said they "had some problems". They would not elaborate.
preschoolteacher 07:54 AM 06-12-2013
I agree that you'll have more luck getting business if you make the sitting free and then send home a package of images that the parents can choose to buy. Once they see the photos of their kids, most people will want to buy at least one!

I'm actually going to do something similar when I have the open house for my daycare in August. A close friend is a professional photographer. During the open house, she will be taking photographs of anyone's child who wishes to be photographed (for free). She has a website, and she will upload the photos there where the parents can choose to order prints or just digital files. I think it will get more people in the door for the open house and also help out my friend's business!
blandino 08:21 AM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:

http://m.facebook.com/landinofamilyd...%2Fsearch&_rdr

The cover picture is our most current group picture, and if you scroll back you can see past years. These group pictures are the only reason I even entertain the idea of a picture day
itlw8 11:04 AM 06-12-2013
The idea is good but most places will not do small groups like mine. If I had to pay a big sitting fee I could not do it.
Reply Up