Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Is a Nightmare
midaycare 05:11 AM 01-28-2015
The majority of my parents are first-timers and have no clue what they are doing. I have 5 who are in the process right now. Dcf's saw one girl do it, and now they all want their kids to do it, too. When they have a few trips to the potty, dck's show up here in underwear.

It's crazy.

And I have the worst setup for potty training. My bathroom is upstairs and daycare is separate in the basement. I have to take everyone upstairs when one has to go. Sigh ...

Just venting, I guess. I need to come up with a potty training policy. Not "dump them at my doorstep in underwear when you feel like it."
AuntTami 05:46 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
The majority of my parents are first-timers and have no clue what they are doing. I have 5 who are in the process right now. Dcf's saw one girl do it, and now they all want their kids to do it, too. When they have a few trips to the potty, dck's show up here in underwear.

It's crazy.

And I have the worst setup for potty training. My bathroom is upstairs and daycare is separate in the basement. I have to take everyone upstairs when one has to go. Sigh ...

Just venting, I guess. I need to come up with a potty training policy. Not "dump them at my doorstep in underwear when you feel like it."
Yes, definitely need a policy! Two weeks accident free AT DAYCARE before they're allowed in underwear!

Can you make a little "potty room" downstairs? Just a curved curtain rod and a shower curtain with a potty in it temporarily until the potty trips slow down? LOL I'm not sure if that would be "ok" according to regulations, but it was just an idea that popped in my head!
TheGoodLife 06:13 AM 01-28-2015
Here's a copy of mine (I have it in a word document):

Potty Training

Potty training is an exciting time for everyone! It can also be a difficult and sometimes frustrating transition for a child, and because your child may be here at daycare as much if not more during the week than at home. I am happy to support your child’s potty training while here! My policies are:

• Please have a solid foundation of training at home before they start here- it can be scary and often a child is more comfortable starting their training at home. I am happy to begin training once you have that foundation set.
• Please find a time (outside of our regular work hours) to discuss your home methods with me, so I can be on the same page as you. I also want to be able to use the same language as that at home. Your child will train much faster if there is consistency between home and daycare.
• While I know many parents do the underwear-only training, I am not able to do it at daycare due to health regulations.
• Your child must be in pull-ups while training at daycare. After two weeks without an accident (i.e. wet or dirty pull-up) they may begin to come in underwear. However, I will ask that you still leave pull-ups here in case they are needed again.
• I reserve the right to take a break from training here if they have been trying for a duration of time here and I feel they are just not ready. The worst thing for potty training is to try to force it before the child is ready.

That way you establish boundaries and prerequisites for what has to happen at home, and what has to occur before they can show up in underwear and have accidents all over your home!
midaycare 06:23 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Here's a copy of mine (I have it in a word document):

Potty Training

Potty training is an exciting time for everyone! It can also be a difficult and sometimes frustrating transition for a child, and because your child may be here at daycare as much if not more during the week than at home. I am happy to support your child’s potty training while here! My policies are:

• Please have a solid foundation of training at home before they start here- it can be scary and often a child is more comfortable starting their training at home. I am happy to begin training once you have that foundation set.
• Please find a time (outside of our regular work hours) to discuss your home methods with me, so I can be on the same page as you. I also want to be able to use the same language as that at home. Your child will train much faster if there is consistency between home and daycare.
• While I know many parents do the underwear-only training, I am not able to do it at daycare due to health regulations.
• Your child must be in pull-ups while training at daycare. After two weeks without an accident (i.e. wet or dirty pull-up) they may begin to come in underwear. However, I will ask that you still leave pull-ups here in case they are needed again.
• I reserve the right to take a break from training here if they have been trying for a duration of time here and I feel they are just not ready. The worst thing for potty training is to try to force it before the child is ready.

That way you establish boundaries and prerequisites for what has to happen at home, and what has to occur before they can show up in underwear and have accidents all over your home!
Thank you! That helps a lot
midaycare 07:54 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Yes, definitely need a policy! Two weeks accident free AT DAYCARE before they're allowed in underwear!

Can you make a little "potty room" downstairs? Just a curved curtain rod and a shower curtain with a potty in it temporarily until the potty trips slow down? LOL I'm not sure if that would be "ok" according to regulations, but it was just an idea that popped in my head!
Regs here say all potties have to be in the bathroom. I'm not above breaking a reg now and then *here's looking at you 'kids must be in sight at all times', so I can never go potty*, but this is one I actually agree with.
daycare 01:02 PM 01-28-2015
ditto on mine tooo....we can't even use potty chairs. I bought this from amazon and it works wonders.

http://www.amazon.com/Xpress-Trainer...t+seat+trainer
Baby lady 02:27 PM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
ditto on mine tooo....we can't even use potty chairs. I bought this from amazon and it works wonders.

We can't?
Cradle2crayons 11:07 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

I have this on the daycare toilet..I second it. It's awesome!!

OP, wow that is a tough tough predicament.

While I don't do the timed potty training and require the training kids to verbalize their need to go, in your situation, if I had that many training, I might have to do more of a timed thing.
Controlled Chaos 12:07 PM 01-29-2015
Yea, I would do diapers/pullups over underwear. And go every 30 min, or once an hour. Whatever you are wanting to do. Set up a spot right outisde the bathroom door with books on going potty etc for those waiting to entertain themselves with. That is rough. I once had 3 2yos training at the same time, but the bathroom was on the same floor.
Reply Up