Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Fever Question
lovemykidstoo 06:20 AM 12-12-2012
Okay, so one of my dck's came today and the mom said he had a slight fever yesterday, but today he was okay. No other symptoms. Well he looks pale, sounds like he has a scratchy throat and I took his temp and it’s 100.4. Think I should call for pickup? How much of a fever do you allow if any at all. I have had it running through here. One dck came Monday, but stayed home yesterday due to a double ear infection. Another dcg was out all last week with a fever and another dcb is gone this week with a fever. Sooo, chances are, he has this virus. Some of the kids have been to the dr and the only problem has been one dcb's ear infection. All the others have not been strep or anything, just viral. He is also scheduled to come tomorrow. Any advice?
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 12-12-2012
My illness policy says anything over 100F and they stay home (or go home in your case).

Technically if he had a fever at all yesterday I wouldn't have allowed him to be in care today. They must be fever free (without meds) for a FULL 24 hours before they can return to care.

I know some kids run temps higher than others but there has to be a line drawn somewhere and our schools all say 100F so that's my cut off too.
lovemykidstoo 06:24 AM 12-12-2012
So how do you tell them that they are not welcome tomorrow? I'm so bad with this as you know!!

Not to mention that as she was taking his coat off she told me about his fever yesterday. I don't think it was higher than this though.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So how do you tell them that they are not welcome tomorrow? I'm so bad with this as you know!!

Not to mention that as she was taking his coat off she told me about his fever yesterday. I don't think it was higher than this though.
I give them an "Earliest they can return date". So if sending home today, I would say "Now the earliest Johnny can return is a FULL 24 hours AFTER his fever goes away without using any meds."

If a DCM was dropping off and mentioned a fever, I would have said "Oh, he had a fever yesterday? I am sorry but per licenisng rules, I cannot accept him into care since it hasn't been 24 hours without a fever."

I understand it is frustrating, difficult and inconvenient for parents but rules are rules and since we can't eliminate sickness all together, I must do what I can do to minimize the spread and that is follow licensing rules. I think it might even be CDC rules so legally unlicensed providers can still use that thought process too.
melilley 06:38 AM 12-12-2012
Sounds like the child may have been given a fever reducer before coming? What is in your illness policy? You could reference your policy (if you have one) and show them the policy and tell them that way. I'm bad at telling parents things too, but if you have something to back you up, such as an illness policy, then I find it easier to tell them things. Also, I know this is a little off subject, but if you take an armpit temp, you are supposed to add a degree (unless your thermometer does it for you), a lot of people do not know this.
lovemykidstoo 06:40 AM 12-12-2012
Thanks guys. He's going home. I just took it again and it was 101.4.

Melilly, I did add a degree to his armpit, but thanks for the tip. I agree, alot don't know to do that. Gonna go call dad now and I'm going to tell him see you on Monday!
melilley 06:47 AM 12-12-2012
Sorry, I meant to say a lot of parents don't know that. Then they bring their kids to care saying their fever is only -----, when it's really a degree higher!
lovemykidstoo 06:52 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by melilley:
Sorry, I meant to say a lot of parents don't know that. Then they bring their kids to care saying their fever is only -----, when it's really a degree higher!
Sorry I spelled your name wrong in the last post. No need to be sorry, sometimes I have to stop and think if it's add one or take one off because I know the rectal (which I haven't done in years) is subtract one if I'm not mistaken.

Just talked to dad and he's on his way. Time to get cleaning!!
daycare 09:12 AM 12-12-2012
I struggle all of the time with getting the parents to understand the full 24 hour symptom free without the aide of medication before a child can return.

I have had to spell it our clearly just as BC did to the parents.

I had to tell them...

if your child was running fever or displaying any signs of illness on Sunday morning, this would mean that your child cannot return to care until tuesday. Again remember this means that they were 100% free of all symptoms on Monday WITHOUT the aide of medication.
lovemykidstoo 09:27 AM 12-12-2012
It drives me crazy that some parents don't seem like they want to parent. This little boy is not yet 3, but is highly intelligent. I was taking his temp under his arm so he could talk and I asked him if he told his momma that his throat hurt. He said I DID and she said that I needed to rest. Poor little guy. Dad came and got him and I told him that I would see him on Monday, not tomorrow. Told mom that on the phone too. I don't know why if he had a fever yesterday that they would bring him today She said, oh he was fine all night. Oh really, and an hour after he gets here it's over 100? Yea right. Bye bye!
Play Care 10:17 AM 12-12-2012
It drives me crazy that some parents don't seem like they want to parent. This little boy is not yet 3, but is highly intelligent. I was taking his temp under his arm so he could talk and I asked him if he told his momma that his throat hurt. He said I DID and she said that I needed to rest. Poor little guy. Dad came and got him and I told him that I would see him on Monday, not tomorrow. Told mom that on the phone too. I don't know why if he had a fever yesterday that they would bring him today She said, oh he was fine all night. Oh really, and an hour after he gets here it's over 100? Yea right. Bye bye!
I love when they say the child was "fine" all night or all the day before...Well, they are not fine now. As if you are lying about it. Sheesh.
lovemykidstoo 10:28 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I love when they say the child was "fine" all night or all the day before...Well, they are not fine now. As if you are lying about it. Sheesh.
I know. Really ticks me off. He had a fever when he walked through the door. You could tell because he was white as a ghost. I took his temperature about 1/2 - 1 hour after he got here and it was 100 and an hour after that it's 101. What would it have been at 2:00? Well he was here for 3 hours and he's not coming tomorrow and they can pay me for a full day today and for tomorrow as well. Be a parent, keep your sick child home.
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 12-12-2012
ALWAYS take a photo of the thermometer showing the temp and text it to the parent. SHOW them you are not lying.

I know. Really ticks me off. He had a fever when he walked through the door. You could tell because he was white as a ghost. I took his temperature about 1/2 - 1 hour after he got here and it was 100 and an hour after that it's 101. What would it have been at 2:00? Well he was here for 3 hours and he's not coming tomorrow and they can pay me for a full day today and for tomorrow as well. Be a parent, keep your sick child home.
Great way to cure that is to use the 24/48 hour rule.

If a parent notices their child is not feeling well and keeps them homw from daycare, they need to stay out until 24 hours symptom free.

If I send a child home from care, they need to stay home for 48 hour after symptoms disappear.

Makes the decision be the parents responsibility and gives the "incentive" to make the right choice.

GUARANTEED that it works too! (Thank you CH! )
lovemykidstoo 12:11 PM 12-12-2012
I actually tried to take a pic of the digital thermometer today but my darn phone wouldn't make it out good enough. I'm actually surprised by this parent today. They normally don't act like that. I didn't have the problem though of them not believing me though. I think they could just maybe slip it by me though. Don't think so
lovemykidstoo 06:51 PM 12-12-2012
Well the drama continues. DCM called me around 6:00 and told me that the dcb that I sent home today went to the dr and he has strep. He won't be back until Monday. I'm closed on Fridays. In the meantime, I got a text from another dcm asking how her son was at my house today. I said he seemed fine. She said his eyes looked tired and he didn't really eat his dinner oh and he has a fever of 100. Told her, see you Monday, he needs to stay home tomorrow. She texted me back and said and I quote "OK, so you consider 100 a fever? Most drs and people I know think that a "real" (and she quoted that part) fever is 101. I texted back that I don't believe that he will be fine tomorrow because 4 other kids have had this fever in the past week and it lasts 3 days at least. She was pissed off because I said he can't come tomorrow. What do you guys think? What do you consider a "fever" that warrants them not coming the next day? I don't think that I'm being unreasonable at all.
lovemykidstoo 06:50 AM 12-13-2012
This got buried since last night. What are your thoughts ladies?
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 12-13-2012
http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiot...URI/colds.html

This says a child is considered to have a temp is it is 100.4F.

I count anything over 100F as a temp. and they go home. It's in my illness policy that the parents all sign and agree to so they can't argue.
lovemykidstoo 07:07 AM 12-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiot...URI/colds.html

This says a child is considered to have a temp is it is 100.4F.

I count anything over 100F as a temp. and they go home. It's in my illness policy that the parents all sign and agree to so they can't argue.
So BC your rule is "over" 100. So if she would have called you with a temp of 100 you would have let him come? My problem is knowing the history of the other 4 kids in the past week that had this they all escalated quickly, so I pretty much could tell her that he probably has the same thing.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 12-13-2012
So BC your rule is "over" 100. So if she would have called you with a temp of 100 you would have let him come? My problem is knowing the history of the other 4 kids in the past week that had this they all escalated quickly, so I pretty much could tell her that he probably has the same thing.
Well, the problem is I guess I wouldn't just take the temp of EXACTLY 100F as the only contributing factor to being sick.

Since this mom told you he had other symptoms of not feeling well (not eating and his eyes looking tired) coupled with the temp, I would have said to her that I would prefer that she be proactive and keep him home since a day of rest helps kids ward off illness but I would probably have allowed him to attend if mom was insistent. I would however, have temped him myself at the door upon drop off.

Buuuuuut () since I use the 24/48 hour rule, it would have been in her best interest to keep him home.

I guess it honestly depends on the parent/family in question. If I really felt that this mom was good about keeping her child when sick and not pushing boundaries and rules, I may have considered allowing him to attend but I would have been temping the kid at every moment. LOL!

If the family was horrible about keeping their child home and looking out for the group as a whole, I would have insisted they not come. Does that make sense?

I did write a "reminder" letter about illnesses and this time of the year that I sent out to all parents in Nov so they all know the policies I have regarding illness and exclusion. I'll see if I can attach it. Feel free to use any or all of it if you want.
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 12-13-2012
Ok, I couldn't attach it so here it is:

Dear Daycare Parents;

This is the time of year that common colds, respiratory illnesses and other winter time ailments seem to occur rather frequently. In order to prevent the continuous passing back and forth of these illnesses, I would like to take a moment to reiterate my illness policies.

I will do my best to keep the child care environment clean, sanitized and free of germs to the best of my ability. However, in order to be as diligent as possible in eliminating continuous back and forth sharing, it is extremely important that you do your part as a parent.

When your child is feeling ill, I FULLY expect you to be proactive in doing whatever is necessary to help your child overcome their illness and be as healthy as possible. This includes keeping them home if they are not feeling well enough to participate, providing a regular bedtime allowing for adequate rest as well as eating healthy meals/snacks and keeping the holiday errands and on-the-go weekends to a minimum.

Should your child exhibit any of the signs or symptoms of illness while in daycare, I will notify you immediately. You will be expected to have your child picked up within 30 minutes. If you are unable to leave work, you will need to have a reliable back up provider that is able to come for your child. If your child is not picked up within the 30 minutes of allotted time, you will be charged a late fee of $1 per minute.

Please use your best judgment when deciding if your child is well enough to attend care. Please understand that what may seem like minor symptoms at home are increased 10 fold when in a group of other loud rambunctious children. Also keep in mind that should your child be sent home from care, they must remain home for 48 hours AFTER symptoms reside without the use of any medications or fever reducers. Choosing to keep your child home on your own requires the standard 24 hours of being symptom free.

Being part of a group childcare means doing what is best for the group as a whole. Please be considerate of this. I fully understand that some illnesses are not preventable and I do sympathize with you when you need to take a day off to be with your child. However, when illnesses are continually passed back and forth the average amount of days off per parent is around 4 versus having to take only one day when being proactive.

I also want to remind everyone that I will NOT play the blame game when trying to pinpoint where an illness came from. ALL parents work in the public sector and there are so many different ways to get and carry illnesses and germs that blaming one person is simply not acceptable or logical in anyway.

Attached is a copy of my illness policy. Please remember this policy was discussed in depth and agreed to by both parties upon enrollment.

Thank you,

Provider

lovemykidstoo 08:37 AM 12-13-2012
Thank you BC! I'm going to be typing and sending out an updated illness policy in January after the holidays. I guess I need to be more specific with some parents. I only was nervous about this child because of the other 4 kids that I've had out for 3 or more days within the past week. I like your policy that you put on here and will be saving that! Thanks!
Play Care 08:55 AM 12-13-2012
I actually tried to take a pic of the digital thermometer today but my darn phone wouldn't make it out good enough. I'm actually surprised by this parent today. They normally don't act like that. I didn't have the problem though of them not believing me though. I think they could just maybe slip it by me though. Don't think so
This is my issue - neither my camera or phone camera take good enough pics to get this down. I do document everything though.
I am fairly strict about my illness policy and have never had issues with it - but once in a while I will get a passive aggressive comment about how the child was "fine" all the evening/day before. I just let them roll right off
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 12-13-2012
This is my issue - neither my camera or phone camera take good enough pics to get this down. I do document everything though.
I am fairly strict about my illness policy and have never had issues with it - but once in a while I will get a passive aggressive comment about how the child was "fine" all the evening/day before. I just let them roll right off
In regards to the comments from parents about kids being fine at home, I always tell them that behavior at daycare is NOTHING like behavior at home.

They aren't even comparable.

Evidence is visible every day at pick up time when little Johnny is acting like a wild banshee and displaying behaviors he wouldn't dare do while at daycare.
morgancooper 01:53 AM 01-31-2013
Don't worry about such diseases but i suggest you to try some honey with milk as a diet to your child as honey is natural and has no side effects and it will make him healthy and fit.
manuka honey
sunlight 07:13 AM 01-31-2013
Blackcat your advice and knowlege is much appreciated! I too have had parents that bring sick sick kids to care know they are sick etc. I usually end up calling them to return and pick them up. Sometimes I guess they have to make an appearance at work so they don't get in trouble. What has recently worked for me is telling the parents if your child is having a fever keep them home because if I get sick, there will be no one here to watch your child. This may sound silly, but it is working!

Have a great day everyone!
kitykids3 11:22 AM 01-31-2013
My policy is if it is 100 or higher with other symptoms, then go home (ie:not eating, tired, etc.).
101 they go home even if they don't have any other symptoms.
Reply Up