Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4mo Old Amounts & Times
laundrymom 01:25 PM 02-12-2013
Refresh my memory, 4 mo olds eat how much every how many???

The new baby seems to eat 2-4 oz. every 2 hours.

Seems " off" to me.

Ladies?

Edited to add. He's a spitter.
melilley 01:31 PM 02-12-2013
My son ate 2-4 oz every 2 hours when he was that age unless he was sleeping of course. Plus cereal 2x a day. The doctor said that was fine. He still woke up for 1-2 feedings a night though. He is 6 months now and eats 4 oz every 3-4 hours plus cereal and fruit/veggie 2x a day. It seems like it's not enough, but the doc. said it's fine.
Little Star75 01:36 PM 02-12-2013
I have a 5-month old in my care he's been with me since he was 2 months. At the beginning he ate 2-4oz every to hours but now as he's getting bigger he now takes 5-6 oz every 3 hours plus cereal in the morning and fruits and veggies 2 times a day.
Hope that helps just remember that all children are different and some eat more/less than others. You might want to ask the parent to
laundrymom 01:45 PM 02-12-2013
Mom, young, first time, alone. Has been feeding 1-2 oz every hour.
He spits up so much!
I feed 2 every 2. He doesn't seem hungry before then.

Idk. Sometimes I just need a fresh perspective. Thanks gals.
lilcupcakes09 05:54 PM 02-12-2013
I would say at least 3-4 every 4 hours. I have a 7 week old eating 6ozs every 4 hrs. There is no reason to be feeding a baby that close together in my opinion. Is the baby falling asleep durng feedings, maybe that is why he isn't eating much. Wake him up and get him to ea a good bottle at once so he stays full for a while.
blandino 06:02 PM 02-12-2013
We have a 4 mo old who eats 6oz every 3 hours - but this last week has been hungry after 2 hours.

So typicllly he eats at home at 5:30 & eats at daycare at 7:30, 9:30, and 12:00 ish.
Willow 06:32 PM 02-12-2013
If he spits up a lot he may need to be eating that often. Has he been evaluated for possible reflux issues?

If he has it and gets on meds he'll likely be able to take more in each feeding and hold it down so you'll be able to stretch out feedings more. If he has it and it's left untreated he might need to keep eating little bits more frequently like that just to keep weight on.
DCBlessings27 08:00 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
If he spits up a lot he may need to be eating that often. Has he been evaluated for possible reflux issues?

If he has it and gets on meds he'll likely be able to take more in each feeding and hold it down so you'll be able to stretch out feedings more. If he has it and it's left untreated he might need to keep eating little bits more frequently like that just to keep weight on.
My odd spit up all the time, and my 7 week old spits up too. The doctor says that the meds don't stop the spitting up; they just help reduce the acid.

I think eating every 2 hours at that age seems normal.
Willow 08:26 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by DCBlessings27:
My odd spit up all the time, and my 7 week old spits up too. The doctor says that the meds don't stop the spitting up; they just help reduce the acid.

I think eating every 2 hours at that age seems normal.

I'm not usually one to argue with doctors lol, but it really depends on the medicine prescribed. Some decrease acid production, others block the stomach from producing acid and others help empty stomach contents more quickly so there is less time to urp them back up.

The ones that decrease acid production won't lessen reflux episodes but will make the urp less acidic so it won't do as much damage to the esophagus or cause as much pain.

As far as I've always heard it's pretty important to treat moderate to severe cases of reflux because it can prevent an infant from getting enough nutrition to grow and thrive while at the same time doing permanent damage to the esophagus.

Plus, it just plain hurts!
laundrymom 08:33 PM 02-12-2013
Also. His spit up is clearish? Not white and chunky. This is new for me. Tomorrow is his second day. I'll get more of an idea tomorrow I guess.
MyAngels 08:41 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Also. His spit up is clearish? Not white and chunky. This is new for me. Tomorrow is his second day. I'll get more of an idea tomorrow I guess.
My BF babies tend to have clearer spit up than the bottle fed babies. Is your little one breast or bottle fed?
Willow 08:44 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Also. His spit up is clearish? Not white and chunky.
That's reflux. It's stomach acid.

Google "clear spit up" or even "reflux clear spit up."
melilley 06:27 AM 02-13-2013
My daughter had severe reflux, she would spit up whole bottles! The doc put her on meds and the spit up did subside, but did not go away completely. Also with reflux there is a flap that opens and closes in the esophagus and sometimes it doesn't close so hence the spit up. If it is reflux, they do need to get it looked at because like Willow said, it could damage the esophagus. And if it doesn't go away by the time they are 1 then there is surgery that can be done to help the flap in the esophagus open and close correctly. Thankfully the meds helped my daughter and the flap healed on it's own.
Loveyoustinkyface 07:41 AM 02-13-2013
I have a five month who eats 6 ounces every 3 hours during the day
Cereal and fruits & veggies Stage 1 every afternoon/evening
Mostly sleeps through the nights
Mornings he is very hungry!!
He spits up alot too.....
tenderhearts 07:49 AM 02-13-2013
The 7 mo old I have when she was 4 months she ate about 3 oz every 2 -2/12 hours.
Reply Up