Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fibbing about food
Thriftylady 09:47 AM 02-24-2015
So DCB came in this morning and sat down. A few minutes later this was the conversation.

DCB: I haven't had breakfast
Me: Yes you did you mom texted me when you were eating
DCB: But I didn't eat it
Me: Okay why?
DCG (sister): Yes you did
DCB: Oh that's right (insert lying look here), I forgot. I am hungry.
Me: The bus is going to be here soon and it will soon be lunchtime because you had a delay.

Not sure how to handle this. These two are constantly asking for food. They are not scheduled to eat breafast here at all, mom said she will always feed them that. Morning snack they only get on non school days and lunch also. I am to give them PM snack only on school days.

My issue? I hate to leave a kid hungry, but know for a fact he ate half an hour before he got here and he was only here about 25 mins. How do you handle this?
Blackcat31 09:53 AM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So DCB came in this morning and sat down. A few minutes later this was the conversation.

DCB: I haven't had breakfast
Me: Yes you did you mom texted me when you were eating
DCB: But I didn't eat it
Me: Okay why?
DCG (sister): Yes you did
DCB: Oh that's right (insert lying look here), I forgot. I am hungry.
Me: The bus is going to be here soon and it will soon be lunchtime because you had a delay.

Not sure how to handle this. These two are constantly asking for food. They are not scheduled to eat breafast here at all, mom said she will always feed them that. Morning snack they only get on non school days and lunch also. I am to give them PM snack only on school days.

My issue? I hate to leave a kid hungry, but know for a fact he ate half an hour before he got here and he was only here about 25 mins. How do you handle this?
I'd handle it the exact way you did.

More than likely he isn't even really hungry.

Hungry to kids means a lot of different things...

If any of my kids complain about being hungry outside of meal times, I just say..."xx meal/snack is coming up in a little bit. I am sure you will be fine until then."
And leave it at that.

Food is not an area I like to get deep into as many kids use hunger or food related issues to get attention for all kinds of things.

Tell DCM what he said about being hungry still and SHE can make sure he gets s filling breakfast before drop off.
kchlmom 10:01 AM 02-24-2015
I get this all the time! I have a 5yr old as soon as he in the door its "Im starving!" Another 4 yr old who went so far as to start opening my cupboard doors ( That only happened once and I put a quick end to that!) I hate hearing Im hungry over and over again! Today 3 yr old got down from the table at lunch complained she was hungry and wanted a snack. I just laughed! I think for some kids Im hungry is the equivalent of Im bored. Just something to say when they dont know what else to say!
Unregistered 10:02 AM 02-24-2015
If you feel bad offer some veggies. If he is hungry he will eat them.
laundrymom 10:25 AM 02-24-2015
I give oatmeal. If they come in hungry, legitimately some are, I do snack at 915 but if they're hungry at 8, I offer some oatmeal. I know it goes against every rule. It's bad form for learning meal times, but I can't stand the thought of a child being hungry.
They get a serving of oatmeal and a small cup of milk. Takes all of 30 seconds to prepare and then at least I know they have something in tummy.
I often went without as a child and can't breathe if I know someone's hungry and I can stop it.
Now, it sounds like this guy is playing you, in that case maybe plain oatmeal? Lol
Angelsj 03:21 PM 02-24-2015
I keep apples and bananas around as well as string cheese. If they say they are hungry between meal times, they are offered these things. If they are hungry they will eat them. If they are just bored, they will generally refuse.
lovemykidstoo 03:49 PM 02-24-2015
My first question to parents when they drop off is did the kids eat. Right in frot of the children. That takes care of any guessing and if he's going through a growing spurt or something maybe mom needs to feed him more for breakfast.
Thriftylady 04:44 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I keep apples and bananas around as well as string cheese. If they say they are hungry between meal times, they are offered these things. If they are hungry they will eat them. If they are just bored, they will generally refuse.
I may do that. This is only their second week here, so I am still setting the limits with the kids. But they are super picky eaters and don't like most fruits or veggies. I keep oranges for us but they don't like them, or so they say lol. They said they didn't like apples either but when the activity was making apple crisp last week they both had a love affair with them.
NightOwl 07:38 AM 02-25-2015
Boredom, most likely. Or hoping to get snack - type foods. I'd offer raw veggies.
Blackcat31 10:02 AM 02-25-2015
I wont feed a child outside of my scheduled meal/snack times.

Some food programs require meals/snacks to be eaten ONLY during specified times.
Play Care 10:14 AM 02-25-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
My first question to parents when they drop off is did the kids eat. Right in frot of the children. That takes care of any guessing and if he's going through a growing spurt or something maybe mom needs to feed him more for breakfast.

He may very well still be hungry, but then mom needs to offer him more (or get him up earlier someh has time to eat more...)
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 02-25-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

He may very well still be hungry, but then mom needs to offer him more (or get him up earlier so he has time to eat more...)
...... like Nan says, "Parents have the same 24 hours in a day that we do."
ColorfulSunburst 10:23 AM 02-25-2015
Do they LOOK hungry? I'm sure they don't. Even if they do they are not starving to death. Stop discuss with them about food.
A kid: I didn't eat
You: You will eat during lunch. Now go and play.

No more words about food after that.
Reply Up