Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What Is Too Much?

I have a 6 month old in care who drinks breast milk. He wants to eat ALL THE TIME! Not only here, but mom says at home as well, except even more frequently at home. He is with me from 8am-4:30pm. He sleeps from 8:30-11/11:30 most mornings. Between 11:30-4:30 he usually drinks an average of 16 ounces here each day. I offer 4 ounces at a time, because mom has told me that is the most she wants him having per feeding. He eats about every 1- 1 1/2 hours here. He takes one shorter nap in the afternoon. Mom said at home, starting around 5, he will eat every half hour until bedtime at 9:30. He wakes anywhere from 2-4 times at night to eat as well. She solely breasfeeds at home. He weighs 20 pounds already. Mom does not want him having any grains until he turns one. He has not started with any solids yet. He always drinks the full bottle and sometimes continues sucking once it is gone. To me, it seems like he is eating way too much/often? Does this seem unusual to anyone else?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:35 PM
dreamer's Avatar
dreamer dreamer is offline
dreaming of her own DC
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 116
Default

Every half hour?!
Maybe she needs to feed him more than that each time, the 4 month old I watch drinks 6oz each time.

Perhaps his mom needs to take him to a doctor
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,968
Default

Sounds like an oral fixation. Does he have a soother?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Jupadia's Avatar
Jupadia Jupadia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 701
Default

I know with my oldest who was 22lb by the time he was 6 months. In total he ate between 24 to 36 ounces per day (mix of pumped milk and formula). But he was eating 6 to 8 ounces at a time. Sleeping threw the night and doing 2 to 3 naps per day.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 460
Default

It doesn’t sound like he is eating enough per bottle. He may just need an extra ounce to hold him over a little longer. And why is she against grains until one? When does she plan on starting solids? I know there is a saying In the breastfeeding community “food before one is just for fun” and it’s completely false. She may have that mentality. If he’s drinking that often, it sounds like he needs to start solids soon.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
It doesn’t sound like he is eating enough per bottle. He may just need an extra ounce to hold him over a little longer. And why is she against grains until one? When does she plan on starting solids? I know there is a saying In the breastfeeding community “food before one is just for fun” and it’s completely false. She may have that mentality. If he’s drinking that often, it sounds like he needs to start solids soon.
Her chiropractor told her that infants can't digest grains?, so she wants to hold off on giving him any until he turns one. I have never heard of this!
I also know, as she has told me, that she is having trouble pumping enough to keep up with his needs here. I'm guessing that is why she only wants me offering 4 ounces per feeding.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Her chiropractor told her that infants can't digest grains?, so she wants to hold off on giving him any until he turns one. I have never heard of this!
I also know, as she has told me, that she is having trouble pumping enough to keep up with his needs here. I'm guessing that is why she only wants me offering 4 ounces per feeding.
Well that’s not fair to him. If baby is hungry then he needs fed. End of story!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,021
Default

Infants to lack the enzymes to digest grains in the first year. That's why cereal is no longer recommended as a first food or required by the food program. it's just filler with no actual nutritional benefit and only constipates them.


Some kids are just little chunkers, lol. My first two ate constantly the first year. Increasing the amount per feed only caused spitting up, not less eating.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2018, 08:41 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a 6 month old in care who drinks breast milk. He wants to eat ALL THE TIME! Not only here, but mom says at home as well, except even more frequently at home. He is with me from 8am-4:30pm. He sleeps from 8:30-11/11:30 most mornings. Between 11:30-4:30 he usually drinks an average of 16 ounces here each day. I offer 4 ounces at a time, because mom has told me that is the most she wants him having per feeding. He eats about every 1- 1 1/2 hours here. He takes one shorter nap in the afternoon. Mom said at home, starting around 5, he will eat every half hour until bedtime at 9:30. He wakes anywhere from 2-4 times at night to eat as well. She solely breasfeeds at home. He weighs 20 pounds already. Mom does not want him having any grains until he turns one. He has not started with any solids yet. He always drinks the full bottle and sometimes continues sucking once it is gone. To me, it seems like he is eating way too much/often? Does this seem unusual to anyone else?

I'm all for breastfeeding moms, but seriously? Does she just put him in a carrier and have him latched on all night? Come on. That poor baby is hungry. I would feed more per feeding and tell her it's just not fair that he's upset because he's hungry while with you. When does she want to introduce non-grains?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
Infants to lack the enzymes to digest grains in the first year. That's why cereal is no longer recommended as a first food or required by the food program. it's just filler with no actual nutritional benefit and only constipates them.


Some kids are just little chunkers, lol. My first two ate constantly the first year. Increasing the amount per feed only caused spitting up, not less eating.
Exactly this! My own baby was super chunk and wanted to nurse all the time and would barf if I fed her more. It was a comfort thing and an oral fixation thing. Pacifier saved me.

At 20lbs this kid does not need more food!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,584
Default

At 6mos, grains will give him a false sense of satiation and he won't take in the nutrition he needs. Standard practice now is meats and vegetables for first foods. I gave my kid an avocado as her first food since it's already baby-food consistency and has a high fat content. Pureed chicken, canned sodium-free carrots, and other mushy foods are great for kids who are transitioning onto solids, but I only offer a food after the parents have tried it first, in case of an allergic reaction.

But that's on the advice of pediatric nutritionists! Geez; who gets their feeding advice from a chiropractor?

I agree that there is something going on -- either he's soothing with the nipple, or he's starved because she won't let him fill up in just a single feeding, or both, or something else nobody's thought of yet.

Do you guys feel like this 4oz. rule is in violation of daycare rules prohibiting withholding food? I haven't had this situation so I don't know how it applies.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Jo123ABC's Avatar
Jo123ABC Jo123ABC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: U.S.
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
Infants to lack the enzymes to digest grains in the first year. That's why cereal is no longer recommended as a first food or required by the food program. it's just filler with no actual nutritional benefit and only constipates them.


Some kids are just little chunkers, lol. My first two ate constantly the first year. Increasing the amount per feed only caused spitting up, not less eating.
What!? I'm pretty positive the food program here requires cereal once a day. I need to double check my paperwork... I'm not a huge fan of cereal as my pediatrician favors eggs and veggies/fruits but I thought I HAD to for the food program.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC View Post
What!? I'm pretty positive the food program here requires cereal once a day. I need to double check my paperwork... I'm not a huge fan of cereal as my pediatrician favors eggs and veggies/fruits but I thought I HAD to for the food program.
It very well might but it can cause constipation since babies cannot make their own Amylase which is the enzyme found in saliva too break down starch. I woukd recommend mixing cerals with banana or pineapple as they both contain Amylase so it helps with digestion.

I fed my own two kids cereal but not baby stuff out of a box. I soaked regular natural sugar free cereal like amaranth and buckwheat etc in breastmilk and mashed in banana. Nature’s Path has some good plain flake cereal.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC View Post
What!? I'm pretty positive the food program here requires cereal once a day. I need to double check my paperwork... I'm not a huge fan of cereal as my pediatrician favors eggs and veggies/fruits but I thought I HAD to for the food program.
Compare "previous" to "updated" recommendations here from the USDA. You can see the major change from "just milk and cereal" to "milk and a ton of whole foods and/or a little bit of cereal." Hopefully your food program is keeping up with the current mode of approach.

https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...ctSheet_V2.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-17-2018, 07:21 PM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,750
Default

I'm actually more concerned with his sleep. A 3 hr nap in the morning, plus a short afternoon nap, bedtime at 9:30(eating every half hour so not sleeping), plus waking numerous times at night is just a recipe for a cranky baby who need to be soothed all the time. And food has become his soother. I wouldnt let him sleep that late in the morning. Bottle at drop off or fed before arrival, nap from 9-10:30, bottle, awake and playing, second nap from 1-3, bottle, play, go home. I would make 6 oz bottles and sit him up a bit to slow down his suction by not making him too comfortable. Think of being snug in your bed with a bag of dorritos... you may eat the whole bag. I prefer kids save that for their parents. Here, we eat and get back to the business of playing. I never did grains or baby food jars, because I was lazy. we just smooshed up our food and fed it to them, prob starting around 6 mon or so.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
Well that’s not fair to him. If baby is hungry then he needs fed. End of story!


20 lb for a six mth old sounds great, but the rest sounds odd. I don't think I'd feel good about continuing care under those conditions. Mom would have to change her expectations about eating. The lo doesn't sound like he's having his needs met.

Starting solids at six months, transitioning to finger foods by nine months here! I'm happy to give bottles as well though of course.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
6 month old, breastfeeding, eats - too much

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:38 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming