Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Mat Storage Ideas Please Help
LITTLESTARS 10:41 AM 03-18-2019
HI, I'm a family daycare provider I'm waiting on my licensor to approve my change of address since im due to be moving to my new location by the 1st of April and without the updated license I cant work , everything has been going fine but I do have a very picky state licensor. I have uploaded into the new Mass LEAD portal my non compliances all is fine with her expect the nap mat storage , I have stored the kids nap mats in a stackable way for 7 years now with my problems from her or system visits which I get every month, so now licensor emailed me this morning asking me to change the way I store the sleeping mats, each child has a floor 2 inch map with their own fitted sheet which is change and washed every 3 days and plastic mat sanitized with bleach a water solution before storing or with Lysol wipes, the only thing they are stored stacked up one on top of the other and this to her looks unsanitary I get her point on this don't get me wrong but my assistant and I are very clean and keep thongs in a sanitary matter. I looked up nap mat storage systems and they are way to big a bulky for my space and very expensive , LOOKING FOR SOME TIPS ON THIS. HOW DO YOU GUYS STORE YOUR NAP MATS?? THIS IS THE ONLY THING I NEED TO CORRECT BEFORE SHE MAILS OUT MY LICENSE.. I have the 2 inch foam plastic foldable nap mats

please please help
hwichlaz 10:54 AM 03-18-2019
Here is a storage solution

https://www.discountschoolsupply.com...6379&Category=

but it's expensive. The dividers look pretty thin though. Can you cut a piece of rigid plastic or board to put between each one?
LITTLESTARS 11:11 AM 03-18-2019
I saw this and husband is seeing if he can work with this but the price wow … Im licensed for 10 children so I need 10 spaces one per child
Cat Herder 11:48 AM 03-18-2019
I had the same issue.

Wash linens daily.

Store mats stacked after they dry, daily, without sheets.

Store clean sheets and clean blankets stacked on another shelf.

Dirty linens (sheets and blankets) straight to laundry after nap, then to shelves.

No issue.
Cat Herder 12:01 PM 03-18-2019
A local center does something a bit different from me to meet our "no touch" rules. They store each childs sheet and blanket in a plastic bag with handles (think trick-or-treat bag) and have them hanging on long wall mounted strip coat racks (cannot touch). After nap they strip the bedding into each bag, spray/wipe/dry the mats, then store stacked. They send the bags home on Fridays for parents to wash and bring back on Mondays.

They say it works for them, but I simply don't like to give parents extra ways to mess with my days. Especially in ways that could get me cited if they did not follow through.

Plus, you know how "crunchy" and gross those things get. How they can keep up with which side was laying on the floor (pillowcase style sheets) and which side was covered in drool is beyond me. I prefer my DCK's just not lay back down on either side until it has been washed.
hwichlaz 12:02 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by LITTLESTARS:
I saw this and husband is seeing if he can work with this but the price wow … Im licensed for 10 children so I need 10 spaces one per child
It was just an example. A long plastic tub would work just as fine with pieces of plastic between each mat, maybe use lids from other tubs as the separators.
hwichlaz 12:03 PM 03-18-2019
Laminated sheets of paper between each mat. Or cut up shower curtain etc.
LITTLESTARS 12:14 PM 03-18-2019
ok this might work the kids have their own cubby space with names on them they store their pillows and blankets in them , so what ill do is wash the linens at night after they leave, wipe down sleeping mats let dry then store them stacked with out sheets. and at nap time have the kids dress their nap mats with clean linens.???
Cat Herder 12:20 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by LITTLESTARS:
ok this might work the kids have their own cubby space with names on them they store their pillows and blankets in them , so what ill do is wash the linens at night after they leave, wipe down sleeping mats let dry then store them stacked with out sheets. and at nap time have the kids dress their nap mats with clean linens.???
That would meet my regs well.
LITTLESTARS 12:26 PM 03-18-2019
thank you so much, I just have been so busy with the move and im 8 months pregnant so I have been so stressed out that you again . to all
Baby Beluga 12:34 PM 03-18-2019
License exempt here - but I still keep our nap items from touching because, ewwww

I use these. Each child has their own drawer with foldable nap mat, sheet (I use body pillow covers) and thin fleece blanket. They might work for you as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...-White/8282897
AmyKidsCo 01:39 PM 03-18-2019
In WI you have to store nap mats/cots so they don't touch. You could make big "pillowcases" to slide them in and out of, or put a sheet in between each one (making sure the same sheet goes on the mat). I just stored mine in different areas of the living room so they didn't touch. Behind each couch and a chair, under the piano bench, etc.
Reply Up