Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Enfamil Iron Supplement Drops
Pestle 05:27 PM 08-12-2019
Had a new parent drop off infant (6mo) this AM and tried to drop off iron supplements. I said I needed the medication form filled out, so they took the drops home and brought them back at pick up. They said pediatrician instructed 1mL per day with food. It's over-the-counter.

I've got the supplement locked in my medicine cabinet. Would you futz with this? Given that it's dangerous in high quantities (there are 50mL in the bottle) and the doctor said to administer just once daily, I'm wondering why I even have it here.

Would you send it home and say they need to administer it themselves?

Would you say that, even though it's over-the-counter, you need a doctor's note?

Or just do it as the parents say?

I couldn't find a tag for "iron", FYI, so not sure if this topic has been covered already.
Unregistered 06:49 PM 08-12-2019
at least where I am, you can only do what is on the bottle, or a dr's note if it says "see a dr" and in that case, the dosage dispenser it comes with must have the dosage on there. If youre still uncomfortable you can authorize it short term like a week, or parents have to do it at drop off or pick up. Unless it is time specified, you dont have to give any medications-you can put it in your policies.
Jo123ABC 09:03 PM 08-12-2019
I hate administering ANY form of medicine/supplements to dcks. I've added that I don't do it to my policy because I'm just not comfortable with it. It's a liability that I'd rather avoid. I still have some bring stuff and haven't put my foot down as hard as I should yet but am getting more strict about it. I have one bring unlabeled probiotic pills in a baggie. I've also had a parent bring syringes with unlabeled antibiotics. I've allowed it in the past but don't like it. Maybe you could add that you don't administer medications to your policy? You could send out a flyer on why you've decided not to. I feel if a child needs Tylenol then they shouldn't be at daycare anyway. If parents want them to have medicine they should do it themselves so it's not my responsibility nor would any side effects or possible administration mistakes be my responsibility.
jenboo 10:31 PM 08-12-2019
The parent can easily administer that at home. There is no reason for it to be sent to daycare.
Cat Herder 04:17 AM 08-13-2019
If the dosage is once per day, that should fall to the parent. Some people cannot get past the "per day" part and literally think it means it must be given mid-day. It always baffles me but is a very common thing.

"Oh, this only has to be given once every 24 hours. There is no need for all this paperwork, you can just give it at bedtime, Mom. If it were every 4-6 hours dosing, that would be something we'd have to work together with."
Pestle 07:06 AM 08-13-2019
Okay. They just picked it up and haven't administered it to her at all before, so I'll send it home today.
coloradoprovider 12:09 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
The parent can easily administer that at home. There is no reason for it to be sent to daycare.

If a child has a prescription that has to be administered 3 times a day, I follow the Medication Administration procedures as required by licensing. If a medication can be given 2 times a day, the parents can administer it at home.

I also rarely administer over the counter (which also needs medical authorization). If a child is so sick that they need a medication for fever - they need to stay home.
AmyKidsCo 12:55 PM 08-16-2019
Nope, I wouldn't mess with it. There's no reason it HAS to be administered at daycare except that the parents don't want to deal with it.

My kids HATED it with a passion so if I'd had a way to make someone else give it to them I would've.
LysesKids 01:08 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Had a new parent drop off infant (6mo) this AM and tried to drop off iron supplements. I said I needed the medication form filled out, so they took the drops home and brought them back at pick up. They said pediatrician instructed 1mL per day with food. It's over-the-counter.

I've got the supplement locked in my medicine cabinet. Would you futz with this? Given that it's dangerous in high quantities (there are 50mL in the bottle) and the doctor said to administer just once daily, I'm wondering why I even have it here.

Would you send it home and say they need to administer it themselves?

Would you say that, even though it's over-the-counter, you need a doctor's note?

Or just do it as the parents say?

I couldn't find a tag for "iron", FYI, so not sure if this topic has been covered already.
I personally wouldn't be the person that dispensed if it's a once a day thing; the parents can give it @ home, it's a liability if you give it.

I never allowed even prescription meds here for my babies unless it was a mandatory 3 or more times daily. And yes, if they fuss, require a DR's note, and make them aware that since it's only one time a day, they must give the Meds... I personally wonder why they want to give additional supplement, since all formula has Iron & as does BM?
hwichlaz 10:00 AM 08-20-2019
I only give meds here if they can't be dosed at home. Once a day with food can easily be given with dinner or a bed time snack at home.
hwichlaz 10:11 AM 08-20-2019
doube
Tags:enfamil, iron deficient anemia, vitamin suppliments
Reply Up