Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do If You (Sometimes) Don't Want To Do It Anymore? (Keeping Your Sanity)
Unregistered 12:46 PM 01-24-2012
Hi everyone,
Just a question about our work and stress. I am quite sure about wanting to help kids and everything, but I have some kids with serious behavior issues often driving me crazy. I'm pretty strict with them and still involved. The ages are very young, and I would love to focus more on preschool level than only infants and 2 year olds. I can hardly do any curriculum or crafts bc of the age. Anyone doing circle time with infants and toddlers?
So.. anyone having bad days sometimes - what do you do to keep your sanity?
How do you prevent your feeling to spill over to the kids?
How do you know when it is time to stop doing this?
And how do you go about it? I can't imagine telling the parents or missing the kids, but I could imagine some more calmer days. What about the finances (not my only motivation though)?
Thanks for chiming in!
Michael 02:01 PM 01-24-2012
We have lots of threads on this topic. I placed some tags on this thread if you lots of time to read through them. burnt out, overwhelmed, sanity, stress
Lilbutterflie 02:10 PM 01-24-2012
I've always been the one in the past to cheer up the others who feel this way and remind them what a great job they've done and what an impact they are making! But lately I am feeling this way, too. I have more bad days than good days lately; and if it's not one child it's another that I am having issues with. I feel like all I get are the "problem" children. If it's not a behavior issue; it's a feeding issue; or a napping issue; or a parent issue. That perfect child with perfect parents just doesn't exist. At least not anymore. I am definitely considering finding a part time or full time job and closing the daycare, too.

So, I can't really offer my usual motivation to keep going; but at least you know you are not alone!!! My advice would be to take some time off or at least some time to yourself. That is what is helping me stay sane right now!
spud912 03:24 PM 01-24-2012
I have good days and bad days (or weeks ). Most often, after several not so good days, I have to give myself a pep talk. Here is what I do to get myself out of a rut:
  1. Adjust my attitude first and foremost!
  2. Fill up the kids schedules with activities (such as "block time," "dress-up" time, etc.)
  3. Purchase some new daycare-related stuff to re-ignite my passion (and the kids)
  4. Take the time to relax (for example, instead of working through nap time, take a break)
  5. Get out of the house! During daycare hours, I take walks with the kids, which lifts my mood tremendously. After I've closed, fed my family, cleaned and given baths to my children, I will head out of the house. It doesn't matter where....window shop, run errands, take a walk, it doesn't matter.
  6. Do one of your hobbies (read, bake, whatever it is)
  7. If you don't have many hobbies, find one!

Ariana 04:21 PM 01-24-2012
I do circle time with toddlers no sweat! Just keep it fun with lots of songs with actions, puppets, felt board stories and colorful short story books. As soon as they start looking bored bring out the next thing. I have a big bag of stuff that I bring to circle and pull things out as needed. I usually never have an issue with the toddlers not being entertained!!

Burnout was covered in my local care provider resource newsletter this month so I'll add some tips they covered:
Burnout prevention
Start the day with a relaxing ritual
Adopt healthy eating, exercising and sleeping habits
Set boundaries
Take a daily break from technology
Nourish your creative side
Learn how to manage stress
Social support group

You can find more info on Wikipedia and Helpguide.org
cheerfuldom 06:23 AM 01-25-2012
Maybe older kids would be a better fit. Have you considered advertising for older kids and then terming the babies as you get more preschool 2+ aged kids?
SilverSabre25 06:35 AM 01-25-2012
On those bad days I:

have a supply of chocolate
claim some "me time" during nap
let them play and curl up on the couch with a good book (if they let me...sometimes the days are bad because they are insane)
change things up and get out a special activity to engage the kids
have an impromptu movie day for the kids so I can chill a bit
vent about it on here

If the bad days are getting numerous in a short span of time, I start analyzing our schedule and our set-up, trying to find a better/new way to do things. Tomorrow (or possibly today) I am going to buy some new shelves for the daycare room and start the arduously fun task of rearranging.
sahm2three 08:33 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi everyone,
Just a question about our work and stress. I am quite sure about wanting to help kids and everything, but I have some kids with serious behavior issues often driving me crazy. I'm pretty strict with them and still involved. The ages are very young, and I would love to focus more on preschool level than only infants and 2 year olds. I can hardly do any curriculum or crafts bc of the age. Anyone doing circle time with infants and toddlers?
So.. anyone having bad days sometimes - what do you do to keep your sanity?
How do you prevent your feeling to spill over to the kids?
How do you know when it is time to stop doing this?
And how do you go about it? I can't imagine telling the parents or missing the kids, but I could imagine some more calmer days. What about the finances (not my only motivation though)?
Thanks for chiming in!
This is how I feel too. It has been a long stretch of tough behaviors here. It has been hard to enjoy my job. I LOVE kids. I want to make a difference in their lives. The hard part, I think, is the parenting being done at home. I feel like I work really hard for 10 hours to teach them valuable life lessons, social skills, etc and then they go home where it is a free for all and it all goes out the window. I don't know the answer to any of your questions. Just know that you are not alone.
My3cents 08:45 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
This is how I feel too. It has been a long stretch of tough behaviors here. It has been hard to enjoy my job. I LOVE kids. I want to make a difference in their lives. The hard part, I think, is the parenting being done at home. I feel like I work really hard for 10 hours to teach them valuable life lessons, social skills, etc and then they go home where it is a free for all and it all goes out the window. I don't know the answer to any of your questions. Just know that you are not alone.
You can't control home life- Kids are adaptable. Teach them the rules of your house and what is expected and not. Your work doesn't go out the window, it just stops and it becomes the job of the parent and that different then the way you run things in your home. It's ok- Be consistent and they will know- they will try from time to time, just go back to being consistent.

It's that time of the year- Winter BLah's
karen 11:28 AM 01-25-2012
When I am feeling overly stressed and the negative behavior is all around me..... I FIRE MYSELF Really I do I just keep coming back because in all honesty I love what I do.
I also write down the pro's and con's of doing it at my house and not working for a center anymore....the PRO's win every time!
Tags:burnt out, overwhelmed, provider - burnout risk, sanity, stress
Reply Up