Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seat Belts
Unregistered 12:05 PM 08-24-2012
When transporting your kids have you ever forgotten one just to have their little head pop up in your side vision while driving along? Im embassed enough to say that has happend a few times. One of the kids actually sat their and buckled the car seat up then proceeded to crawl around till i noticed.
sharlan 12:22 PM 08-24-2012
No. My kids are trained from very little that I don't get into the driver's seat and start the car until EVERYONE else is in their seat and buckled. If I should open the driver's door, someone will yell if someone is unbuckled. As soon as I get into the car, we do a head count.
dave4him 01:44 PM 08-24-2012
My six year old knows that much, the two year olds not so good
Nickel 02:38 PM 08-24-2012
I've done that with my own dd. dh thought I did it and I thought he did it. I looked to make sure she was in her seat and it wasn't until we got half way home I noticed the straps weren't strapped!!! I've also put the car seat in the car and got sidetracked and forgot to latch it! I went to take her out and the whole car seat came with her She was a little older by then, but now I make sure to visually look at each person's seat belt and face to make sure I have them all! lol
Loveyoustinkyface 02:42 PM 08-24-2012
I take seat belt safety very seriously!!!! If children do not stay buckled in, they will sit in time-out when we exit the vehicle!!!!
sharlan 03:18 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I've done that with my own dd. dh thought I did it and I thought he did it. I looked to make sure she was in her seat and it wasn't until we got half way home I noticed the straps weren't strapped!!! I've also put the car seat in the car and got sidetracked and forgot to latch it! I went to take her out and the whole car seat came with her She was a little older by then, but now I make sure to visually look at each person's seat belt and face to make sure I have them all! lol
For us, the driver is responsible for double checking to make sure everyone is buckled in. It doesn't matter who the driver is, me, dh, or one of my daughters. From the time the child can talk (about 2), they know that the car doesn't start unless everyone is buckled in. Every few months or so, I'll intentionally get into the car without checking. Everyone will yell, if someone isn't buckled in, sort of like a fire drill.
daycare 03:29 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
For us, the driver is responsible for double checking to make sure everyone is buckled in. It doesn't matter who the driver is, me, dh, or one of my daughters. From the time the child can talk (about 2), they know that the car doesn't start unless everyone is buckled in. Every few months or so, I'll intentionally get into the car without checking. Everyone will yell, if someone isn't buckled in, sort of like a fire drill.
hahhah I thought that I was the only one that did that.....we call it strap in test.....the kids know the routine of how to get in their seat, wait for me to buckle them in. I have one older kid in each row that will tell me if someone is trying to unbuckle.

I have a set routine...we get in one way and get out one way. NOthing ever changes. The kids always sit in the same seat. Nothing moves and no one is ever allowed to buckle their own belt or take their own belt off. I have yet to have a kid test that rule......they know that I am serious in what I say and if you break a rule, I will leave you behind with the hubby.....
youretooloud 08:27 PM 08-24-2012
Once. Years ago, I buckled the baby into her carseat, but forgot to buckle the carseat to the seat. So, if i'd crashed, she and the carseat would have gone out the window.

Several times I have had kids unbuckle the carseat from the car, or unbuckled the seat next to them. Not out of naughtiness, just button pushing, then suddenly it unlatches... you look in the rear view mirror and see their shocked look.....then you pull over and secure it all over again.
sharlan 08:52 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Once. Years ago, I buckled the baby into her carseat, but forgot to buckle the carseat to the seat. So, if i'd crashed, she and the carseat would have gone out the window.

Several times I have had kids unbuckle the carseat from the car, or unbuckled the seat next to them. Not out of naughtiness, just button pushing, then suddenly it unlatches... you look in the rear view mirror and see their shocked look.....then you pull over and secure it all over again.
Yes, the older kids will unknowingly unbuckle the seat belt holding a carseat next to them while trying to unbuckly themselves. It's an ingrained habit to check all carseats as the littles are being buckled in.
Reply Up