Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Loving Having Less Toys Out
Nickel 11:39 AM 01-10-2013
I know I read threads in the past where providers down sized the amount of toys they had out at one time. I never thought I had a ton of toys available, until I removed toys to be cleaned during daycare hours. I've been so busy, I haven't had time to actually clean them and put them back (long story).

It has been WONDERFUL having less toys. There are still lots of toys available, but without all the options the children are actually playing with each toy longer, there is less of a mess, less fighting, and easier clean up.

I would have never thought that having fewer options would cause the children to play together better! Wish I had done this months ago
Sprouts 06:54 PM 01-10-2013
Less is more!
originalkat 07:01 PM 01-10-2013
I never thought of myself as having too many toys either... but maybe I should downsize a bit to help the kids focus on what is available!
LK5kids 03:48 AM 01-11-2013
I never thought I had too many and I love different play areas and I just love toys, but I have 2 two yr. olds and a 1 yr. old. Of course the two's love to dump...that's to be expected. But I realized they don't have the ability to keep picking up all those pieces. They just turned two. So young two yr. olds.

I kept out most of the toys ( I have lots of self-contained toys out 4 them without pieces) but the one with pieces I scaled back. Half as many dishes/pieces of food, only about 5 little people, 5 FP animals, 1/2 as many shapes in the shape sorter, etc. It is so much better and they can do a good job helping to pick up.

Has been a blessing.
Meyou 04:03 AM 01-11-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I never thought I had too many and I love different play areas and I just love toys, but I have 2 two yr. olds and a 1 yr. old. Of course the two's love to dump...that's to be expected. But I realized they don't have the ability to keep picking up all those pieces. They just turned two. So young two yr. olds.

I kept out most of the toys ( I have lots of self-contained toys out 4 them without pieces) but the one with pieces I scaled back. Half as many dishes/pieces of food, only about 5 little people, 5 FP animals, 1/2 as many shapes in the shape sorter, etc. It is so much better and they can do a good job helping to pick up.

Has been a blessing.
My entire group picks up with me. They're as young as 19 months. It isn't perfect but they can do the whole playroom with only a little direction. I give them instructions like DCB find all the babies and DCG you pick up cars today. It just takes a little coaching but they catch on fast.
countrymom 05:06 AM 01-11-2013
I just finished remodelling and I got rid of so much stuff. I also now have shelves where the kids can't reach and throw them on the floor. I use to have shelves where the kids can take the toys down (look at my pics) and I got rid of them all. I got tired that when they were asked to clean up they would throw everything on the shelves and everything looked messy. If I finish this weekend I will post the after pics, they are amazing.
Reply Up