Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant diapering in Oregon?
TwinKristi 08:32 AM 12-09-2013
Anyone from Oregon? A mom on another moms forum said she was composing a letter to her provider about diapering and how her DD needs to be changed more than she's being changed. While she is in cloth diapers, the rules aren't a lot different except the after part of disposing into an air tight container and disposed of daily rather than the trash can. Anyway, said provider didn't change the baby from 11:30-4:30 or something like that, so 5 hours or more. There are no specific regulations about diapering for day care homes. In CA it's stated that as often as necessary to remain clean and dry at all times and I know other states have an every 2hr limit.

I found this for registered http://www.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/CCD/CCD...les/RF-200.pdf

and this for certified http://www.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/CCD/CCD...CF/CRT-130.pdf

She's in the Eugene area if anyone has rec's too!
sunlight 08:50 AM 12-09-2013
I'm in the Portland Oregon area and I am not aware of "specific" rules on diapering. I can tell you that as a sanitation rule we are required to wash our hands with warm water and soap. I currently have an infant in cloth diapers in my care. Depending on nap length, I am changing his diaper every 1 1/2 -2 1/2 hours. Sometimes he is wet through and I give him an outfit change and other times he isn't.
Not sure of the circumstances of why the other provider left the child in a cloth diaper for 5 hours. How does the parent know how long the diaper was even on her child? Is the provider using an infant sheet and writing down all diaper changes, feeding schedules, and nap schedules' on a daily basis? Also, I wonder if this was the first time this happened with this child? I've had children go 3 hours and be completely dry! Maybe the provider hasn't worked with cloth diapers before and is unfamiliar with how they work. Or, maybe she did check the diaper and it was dry at the time and later if he fell asleep and woke up it was soaked? Possible.

Hopefully mom and provider can work together and resolve this situation with more communication.
JoseyJo 09:27 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Anyway, said provider didn't change the baby from 11:30-4:30 or something like that, so 5 hours or more.
That's crazy! Can you imagine leaving a child in their own waste for 5 hours? I would suggest to the mom that she call licensing, what else does this provider think is okay?

Actually, let me edit that- she should talk to the provider first. Maybe the provider forgot to write down a change? I have done that before. I changed the child, just forgot to write it down...
itlw8 11:07 AM 12-09-2013
my first question would be was the child asleep ? I do not wake a child to change a diaper. I make sure they are dry when I lay them down and change when they wake. So did the parent want the child to be woken up after 2 hours of sleep??? maybe that is the real problem too long sleeping.
itlw8 11:08 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
That's crazy! Can you imagine leaving a child in their own waste for 5 hours? I would suggest to the mom that she call licensing, what else does this provider think is okay?

night time is 5 hours or more.... awake and wet no excuse.
JoseyJo 11:32 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
night time is 5 hours or more.... awake and wet no excuse.
I agree- I was assuming the child was not sleeping 5 hours during the day. Maybe that needs to be the first question!
TwinKristi 12:00 PM 12-09-2013
No, this was during waking hours. I guess she said she hasn't been left that long before but has had multiple diaper rashes and the provider has forgotten to change her before as well.

I also advised her to call licensing honestly, and that's AS a DCP! I would never leave a baby for 5hrs in their diaper, cloth especially. She's working with a 2 person team, the owner works with older kids in one bldg and the asst works with the babies/toddlers in another. She doesn't think the asst has been telling the owner but mom has talked to the asst more than once about diaper changing issues.
Reply Up