Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Presents
kelsey's kids 07:05 AM 12-19-2013
What are you all doing for your dcks Christmas present to the parents. I am at a loss for ideas right now and not feeling creative.
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 12-19-2013
Other threads about Christmas gifts for daycare parents

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+gifts+parents
Kimskiddos 07:10 AM 12-19-2013
We made clothes pin snowflakes this year. The kiddos enjoyed taking the clothes pins apart and of course all the glitter.

In fact we made a bunch of them and will put them on my cookie boxes for my friends and family.
Attached: clothespin snowflake ornament.jpg (6.5 KB) 
sunlight 07:17 AM 12-19-2013
We made these super cute ornaments last week. Santa hand print ornaments and cinnamon salt dough ornaments. It took us about 4 days total to get them completely finished. From start to end. I sent them home Tuesday and have been getting lots of compliments from parents. Plus, I had a ton of fun making them! Down below is an attachment of what we made. Sorry if it isn't a good photo!

Here is a link to recipe for each ornament. We made both.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/54958057926685141/ {Santa Hand Print}

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/45458277460519515/ {Cinnamon Salt Dough}

Salt dough Ornaments.jpg
Attached:
kelsey's kids 07:18 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:419357:
Other threads about Christmas gifts for daycare parents

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+gifts+parents
Thanks bc my phone won't let me search so that is very helpful
DaycareMom 07:22 AM 12-19-2013
We did a few crafts as gifts for the parents:
I had the kids make wreaths with their finger prints and put their pic in the middle, laminated and punched a hole at the top to make into an ornament.
We also did the cinnamon ornaments and they painted them.
We did reindeer ornaments. Put brown fingerprints on a ball ornament then drew rudolph face, and put their name and the year on the other side.
Lastly, we made Christmas light cards. Drew a string of lights then did fingerprint lights. They drew, stamped and stickered the rest however they wanted.
Kimskiddos 07:23 AM 12-19-2013
We did the handprint santa ornaments last year. They are VERY cute! Those are definitely a keepsake. I used playdoh air dry dough instead of salt dough, loved the smooth texture much better. I've never had good luck with the salt dough.
sunlight 07:27 AM 12-19-2013
Great idea on the playdough for the dough I wouldn't have thought of it! The salt dough was ez!! Mixed it up rolled it out and did each hand print. 3 hours in the oven then painted over the next couple days and did end up modge podging them to seal them. I tried cinnamon applesauce ornaments and that was awful! I ended up adding a whole bag of flour and it was still sooo runny I couldn't use it. The cinnamon salt dough was ez and perfect!!
SilverSabre25 07:42 AM 12-19-2013
What do you guys do about parent presents if dck has divorced parents? Do you just not worry about it? I usually only make one parent present, rather than one for each parent...
kelsey's kids 07:59 AM 12-19-2013
Did you do this for all of your group like SA if you had them or just your morning group
originalkat 08:11 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by sunlight:
We made these super cute ornaments last week. Santa hand print ornaments and cinnamon salt dough ornaments. It took us about 4 days total to get them completely finished. From start to end. I sent them home Tuesday and have been getting lots of compliments from parents. Plus, I had a ton of fun making them! Down below is an attachment of what we made. Sorry if it isn't a good photo!

Attachment 2256
We also made the handprint santa ornaments. So cute!! It took about 3-4 days to finish for us too. I am sending them home tonight.
originalkat 08:12 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
What do you guys do about parent presents if dck has divorced parents? Do you just not worry about it? I usually only make one parent present, rather than one for each parent...
I made 2 for the kids with divorced parents. Thankfully I only have 2 out of 8 in this situation.
kelsey's kids 09:22 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:419415:
Originally Posted by sunlight:

Attachment 2256
We also made the handprint santa ornaments. So cute!! It took about 3-4 days to finish for us too. I am sending them home tonight.
Why does it take so long?
melilley 10:16 AM 12-19-2013
I did handprint salt dough ornaments. I just had the kids put their handprint in it and then they painted it. I also took a pic of them wearing a santa hat and attached it to the ornament through the ribbon. They turned out cute.
Lucy 11:11 AM 12-19-2013
We did scrapbooks. Currently, I have ages 5-10. But really, any age could do this. I actually ordered kits, and they're awesome!! Came with the book prefilled with colorful patterned papers, stickers, frames, 2 pair of scissors, extra papers to use as contrast, glitter glue, and more. I was really impressed with them.

But for younger kids, you could just get some good cardstock, punch 3 holes, use twine to tie them together, and have them glue in the pictures, then add some stickers. If they can write or draw pictures, that would be a nice bonus.

Walgreens is cheap for picture printing, and they're done in an hour. You submit them online and pick them up an hour later. Even cell phone pictures!!!

One of my sibling groups gave theirs to their mom this morning, as they won't be here tomorrow or all next week. She LOVED them!!! To prevent the "unappreciation syndrome", I have the parents open them here. That way you get the reaction and the thanks (hopefully) instead of them conveniently forgetting, if they opened it at home.

Anyway, I think it was a great idea. Parents always love pictures of their kids, and I take lots of them on my cell phone throughout the year. Oh, also, we didn't use up all the pages, so they can add to it with pictures at home.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:17 AM 12-19-2013
We paint the inside of the glass ornaments every year as the "keepsake".
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:19 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
We made clothes pin snowflakes this year. The kiddos enjoyed taking the clothes pins apart and of course all the glitter.

In fact we made a bunch of them and will put them on my cookie boxes for my friends and family.
love these! I am adding them into my January snow theme
KSDC 11:23 AM 12-19-2013
We are making photo ornaments this year. I took small pieces of wood and had the munchkins paint them with acrylics. Then they got to each look through my file of daycare pics with me and choose their favorites. I printed them out and they got to Modpodge them onto the sides of the wood. Just need to add an eye-screw and a piece of ribbon. They are turning out very sweet.
melilley 11:31 AM 12-19-2013
I have a set of parents who are divorcing. I made 2 ornaments, one for each parent. At first I only made one for mom and then felt bad and had dcb make another one.
SilverSabre25 05:53 AM 12-20-2013
Thanks for the input, those of you who made two for the kids with divorced parents. I was thinking that yesterday but already in enough of a time crunch. I have to redo the project today for DD (who wasn't here yesterday) so I think I will make a second for the two dcbs too. They can give dad the project next time they see him.
jojosmommy 07:16 AM 12-20-2013
Thanks for the input, those of you who made two for the kids with divorced parents. I was thinking that yesterday but already in enough of a time crunch. I have to redo the project today for DD (who wasn't here yesterday) so I think I will make a second for the two dcbs too. They can give dad the project next time they see him.
I have two families splitting up, not officially divorced thou papers have been filed. I find it awkward as a provider. One kid asked if it was for one parent or the other and when I proposed the idea to make two every kid wanted to make two then.

I also never know Which parent is picking up so Id have to hold on to the second ornament until I saw the second parent, who knows when.
Sunchimes 04:52 PM 12-20-2013
The kids did the mistletoes thing on Pinterest. They haven't been opened yet, but my friends thought they were precious.

I only have one able to do crafts. Her mom brought me a package of foam gingerbread men, 1/2 plain and 1/2 sparkly. We did one every day, trying to use something different each time. Most had glitter, because it's Christmas and a 3 yo girl. We used buttons on one, stickers, rice, macaroni, chalk, feathers, etc. Then, I stitched 12 of them onto a piece of ribbon and sent home to hang on their mantle. It was really cute.

DCG did the painted insides of a clear ornament. I tried to do an ornament with the boys, but it was a total fail. I tried the one where they grasp the ornament and it becomes snowmen, and I tried the thumb print. Both disasters!!! Both have issues and neither one was willing to have paint on their hands.

I also did 2 batches of cornstarch/soda ornaments. The first batch, done for dcg to give to her cousins and grandparents turned out so cute.

The second batch was for the 1 yo, and I let him "help". They turned out flawed, but cute. Then I started to put hanging ribbons on and realized that in the turmoil of crafting with a 1 year old, I forgot to put holes in them. sigh

Oh, and we made Mrs Steinel's Christmas caterpillars (huge success-thank you) and the spiral tinsel pipecleaners with beads. Sent her home tonight with a bag full of things to add to her tree.
Liliya 06:54 PM 12-22-2013
we did this, but I only found one red apron at hobby lobby,so two are white ones,but still looks good!
http://www.craftytexasgirls.com/2013...-kids-and.html
Happily_wed 08:47 AM 12-23-2013
Both of my daycare girls are in school now so I only have them on rare occasions like Thanksgiving break, etc. I had the 4 year old on a Friday week before last because she doesn't have school on Fridays and dad was busy that day (he keeps her on Friday). We made the ornament with the thumbprint and you turn it into a reindeer. They turned out so cute! We made one for their tree and one for mine. Then we made Christmas trees out of green popsicle sticks. I hot glued the sticks together and then we used wood glue and she put buttons on them for decorations.

They are both here today but they are so wound up over Santa coming tomorrow night that there is no use trying to settle them to do much of anything lol. Mom sent them with a gingerbread house kit for me to do with them but it makes four houses and there is icing, etc. There is no way for them to get it home once it's made and I don't have room for it here. We made big Christmas trees on paper with their hand prints instead but I'm not sure if they will take them home or not since they are BIG!
Tags:christmas gifts, christmas gifts parents
Reply Up