Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Re-Sign Contract and Require Initial Deposit?
spchildcare 08:36 AM 01-22-2010
I own an in-home childcare and keep mostly teacher's kids. I will not have kids over the summer, and I need to have them re-sign their contracts before summer break. When parents initally sign a contract, I require an upfront deposit that goes towards their first 10 days. This helps in case they drop-out unexpectedly and I need to find someone else for the spot. But since they are re-signing, would you have them do an up-front deposit in case something happens over the summer and they don't come back? Also, how do you find out if parents are planning on keeping their kids with you the following year PRIOR to the re-signing? Do you do it verbally or have something written? I have other parents calling about spots, and I need to know if I will have a place open.
momma2girls 09:10 AM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by spchildcare:
I own an in-home childcare and keep mostly teacher's kids. I will not have kids over the summer, and I need to have them re-sign their contracts before summer break. When parents initally sign a contract, I require an upfront deposit that goes towards their first 10 days. This helps in case they drop-out unexpectedly and I need to find someone else for the spot. But since they are re-signing, would you have them do an up-front deposit in case something happens over the summer and they don't come back? Also, how do you find out if parents are planning on keeping their kids with you the following year PRIOR to the re-signing? Do you do it verbally or have something written? I have other parents calling about spots, and I need to know if I will have a place open.
I mostly have teacher's as well- what I have in my contract is- If you would like for me to hold a spot for you, ex. summers or maternity leave- a 2 week deposit is required to hold it for you. THis is due before your school break.
mac60 09:13 AM 01-22-2010
A couple people I know that care for teachers kids make them pay a holding fee throughout the summer.

One friend charges $25 per week to hole the spot, and the child can come during the summer 1 day per week on either Tues or Thurs.

Another friend chages 1/2 rate to hold a spot during the summer. I personally think it is bold of teachers to think we can hold their spots for free for the 10 to 12 weeks they get off during the summer.
momma2girls 09:16 AM 01-22-2010
I have friends that do one week, 2 weeks, one does $50.00 a week, another one does one week per month, one does $25.00 a week. These do not go towards their 1st or 2nd week of daycare either. This deposit is jus to hold your spot here.
gbcc 10:01 AM 01-22-2010
I make them pay the full wk, which is $130 for children potty trained and $140 for those who are not. If they are a good family I may let them pay only $100 per wk. It is not fair or reasonable to expect a spot to be held. I have the upper hand though in that parents love me and want their children to stay here. Plus I have a waiting list and my parents know their spot will be gone come September. I explain they pay for the spot. Not the quality, quanity or days of care.
momma2girls 10:33 AM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I make them pay the full wk, which is $130 for children potty trained and $140 for those who are not. If they are a good family I may let them pay only $100 per wk. It is not fair or reasonable to expect a spot to be held. I have the upper hand though in that parents love me and want their children to stay here. Plus I have a waiting list and my parents know their spot will be gone come September. I explain they pay for the spot. Not the quality, quanity or days of care.
SO when you have them pay the entire week, can they come every day?
Tags:contract, deposit, maternity leave
Reply Up