Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pets & Fleas !
Holiday Park 05:05 PM 01-06-2013
I have a cat and a small dog . They have always been on frontline or advantix . They were about a month behind in flea control (a month ago) and so I went and got them up to date. It didn't seem like a big deal because we have never been bit (to the extent we were aware of it) OR had a flea problem .

Last week I started getting bit up . My kids started seeing a lot of fleas within the past couple days. The animals are due for another aplication but I can't beleive it would get out of had so fast. I looked up online how to treat for fleas and found s good article. It sad to vaccum really good everywhere , wash everything really good , and treat both the home and animals at the same time.

I started wondering if one of the dck's brought something (or fleas) in my home because of this . Because I started seeing bites on this one child for many months now. Dcm even told me at drop off once that the relative who babysits her has animals and her bites were from their fleas. Well I have animals too and they have had fleas on&off but it has never been an issue and we don't get bit (until now) .

Well we went out and bought some spray with the IGR stuff in it to spray on everything after vaccuming . And I will be buying some more spot on treatment like frontline plus , for the animals tomorrow evening. (After kids go home/picked up ) .
Well dcm texted me this evening to say they noticed bites on dcg and if I had noticed any on my child (my youngest is the same age) . Dck has only been at my house the last couple weeks I think. I have no problem being honest about the situation because I'm taking care of it . I will also be calling pest control out to come trwat the house, but I have to wait for a time I can be out of the house for 3 hours. Its too cold to take anyone out for that long and I am keeping my pt child FT temporarily on top of my ft ers. So I can't take three kiddos in my vehicle anyway (no room) . I have to wait until they go home at 5:30 (and pest control stops coming out at 4/closes . Or tell two families they have to pick up early so a pest cntrol guy can come out to treat the house and then I'll have just the 1 left whos mom should nt mind if I took him to the mall or park with my little one while the house was being treated/fumigated .
I don't want to scare this mom or incriminate myself in any way . So if I just tell her yes we juwt discovered fleas despite treating the animals and that we are&will be treating the home . This is SO ambarrasing as this has never happened in all the 9 yrs we've had our cat and 5 yrs we've had our dog. I think its just a series of bad timing and maybe not treating the right way between the flea life cycles or something and it being winter now.
If we ever had a problem I wasn't aware until now. But we do have them. I caught 2 on me today . I used to always just get the spot on stuff and never thought about it after that. I just looked up info online and now I know about the flea life cycle and what to do .
I get the feeling she is trying to blame me for her kids bites. But their family has animals too , so it could be only me or both of us .
countrymom 05:42 PM 01-06-2013
first off, I just had this problem in sept. DON'T spray your house, it doesn't work. Vacuming works great. I was told that fleas can come in your house like any bug. Never in 14 yrs had we seen fleas on our cat till this year.

we renovated a bedroom and when dh ripped out the ceiling a huge birds nest fell and the cat was in the room so we are almost postive it was from the nest.

now, this is how we got rid of them. Apply advantix, wait 2 weeks apply again, wait 2 weeks and apply again. This will get rid of them. I shampoo'd my floor too, this is why we never got bit because we had it under control. I would not allow the animals in the bedrooms.

if the child is getting bit, then mom needs to do something, because she is bringing them in and passing them around. Its not that bad, but it can get nasty if not taken care off.
MamaG 05:55 PM 01-06-2013
There is no need for 'pest control' there's not really a safe poison that would work. I suggest vacuum vacuum all the time and keep pets treated. In spring time you can treat the yard as well. I've honestly never seen a pest place that treats for fleas. Where do you live? I never use hazardous chemicals, I have two dogs, we did get tons of fleas once about 3 years ago. Between vacuuming, the spray made by Adams, sold at Walmart, we got rid of them. Spray the furniture and mattresses every couple days, change and immediately wash bedding on same scedule.

I hope you're embarrassed enough to not make the same mistake ever again, it gives providers with pets a bad name.
JEM 06:15 PM 01-06-2013
Originally Posted by MamaG:
I hope you're embarrassed enough to not make the same mistake ever again, it gives providers with pets a bad name.

Not sure how to quote but really?? Isn't that a little harsh?
MissAnn 06:17 PM 01-06-2013
"I hope you're embarrassed enough to not make the same mistake ever again, it gives providers with pets a bad name."

That was a little harsh! I had the same problem with fleas. Tried to keep ahead of it but it became a problem. It happens. We are not perfect.
Angelsj 06:29 PM 01-06-2013
You may have an issue with the fleas being resistant to the type of control you are using.
I would suggest a switch to Advantage Multi. It has the extra advantage of killing several types of worms as well. It also seems to work well in the area around the animals.

I run an animal rescue center, and we only use advantage multi on our animals. They have both an indoor and an outdoor run and we only use flea control about four times a year...no fleas, no worms and NO ticks (the big one here, as we had a HUGE tick problem)
You do need a prescription (ask your vet.) I don't know how many animals you have, but you can buy the largest type and break it up into appropriate doses if needed.
Msdunny 06:37 PM 01-06-2013
Try sprinkling Diatamateous (sp?) Earth on your yard during a dry spell. This is a non-toxic mix - completely safe for humans and animals - but it will kill off any fleas in the yard. You can use it in the house, too, but it does make a dusty mess! Only do it indoors when you have enough time to sweep it into the floors well, then vacuum up the excess.
Holiday Park 08:23 PM 01-06-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
You may have an issue with the fleas being resistant to the type of control you are using.
I would suggest a switch to Advantage Multi. It has the extra advantage of killing several types of worms as well. It also seems to work well in the area around the animals.

I run an animal rescue center, and we only use advantage multi on our animals. They have both an indoor and an outdoor run and we only use flea control about four times a year...no fleas, no worms and NO ticks (the big one here, as we had a HUGE tick problem)
You do need a prescription (ask your vet.) I don't know how many animals you have, but you can buy the largest type and break it up into appropriate doses if needed.
My chi has only ever had that. Its the little white container that goes on the back like frontline right? And my cat has been on frontline. I dont know if last time it was the frontline or frontline plus. But I just read that the plus has the IGR in it.
Well I ended up just texting her back and told her my son saw some fleas and we already treated with the spray stuff (from petco) , and that I plan to have pest control come out. Its basically a more potent bug killer and strong IGR that they would use to help speed up the process , like a "birth control" to use on any energing larva , new adults etc... We already pay for pest control (something I wanted to have since moving to this house in April and getting back into childcare) so treating for fleas is not going to be an additional cost.

I will remember to vaccum at least 1-2x each day. At our other house we steam cleaned often and just haven't as often since moving here. Thats crazy you can get fleas just from a bird . I remember having a parakeet I rescued . A pet store owner I worked for ( as a teenager) told me to get rid of it because it had a goopy eye and mites real bad on his feet&legs. I asked if I could have him. And nursed him back to health . But I learned with parasites like that on a bird it is tricky trying to treat stuff like that eith a pet bird.
The medicine has to be the right dose as to not over do it and you have to be consistent with applying it.
Fyi , my clients are aways fully aware that we have an indoor dog , 3lb chihuahua that isnt allowed in the play room or on carpet. And a indoor/outdoor 13lb cat . I have it in my handbook and that they are kept up to date on parasites control&shots. But I would think most people would understand that with having animals , sometimes stuff happens. It's a risk I take getting a pet and a risk the client takes for using a pet owner as a provider. I had them both for 2&7yrs before ever starting my childcare services. Now would I get another now? Nope. But they are a part of my family and were here first. Im determined to get rid of the fleas. Like I said, I've had my cat 9 years. Since he was a kitten when my second baby (now 9) was 3months old. I just had my fourth baby last year ;-) And this is the first time I think we have a flea problem to the point where people are getting bitten.
Angelsj 04:28 AM 01-07-2013
Advantage is not the same as Advantix...just so you are aware, but I was just suggesting a switch in meds. Any pest can become resistant to a pesticide. You may not have had this issue before because your pets fleas were being killed and you now have only resistant ones left.
Kaddidle Care 04:51 AM 01-07-2013
I've found the Advantage works better than the Frontline. Since it's winter and you don't have to worry about ticks, try switching over to something in the Advantage line. My critters are on Advantage II and I do go overtime with it and nobody is getting bitten here.

I don't like to use the chemicals so I don't treat unless I actually see a flea. If the dog starts scratching the first thing I do is give him a bath and watch closely when rinsing him to see if there are any fleas. Or.. give them a good brushing on the back and roll them over to see if you see any fleas on their belly. Also look for flea dirt.

Obviously if you're getting bites, you've got something and being there's a child that's been coming in with bites, I hope it's only fleas.

Humans can get lice (scabies) that will produce bites too. EEK!
countrymom 05:47 AM 01-07-2013
thats right, check the kid for head lice too. I use advantage and follow what I posted. this is what the vet told me to do.

MamaG, I hope it wasn't ment like that. I have my cat for 14 yrs and never had a problem till this year and it was a fluke, how was I suppose to know that a birds nest carries fleas.

if the child comes in with more bites, I would ask for a dr's note. Maybe then the mom will do something, just think, everytime they go somewhere they are spreading fleas to people and other homes.
momofboys 06:11 AM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by MamaG:
There is no need for 'pest control' there's not really a safe poison that would work. I suggest vacuum vacuum all the time and keep pets treated. In spring time you can treat the yard as well. I've honestly never seen a pest place that treats for fleas. Where do you live? I never use hazardous chemicals, I have two dogs, we did get tons of fleas once about 3 years ago. Between vacuuming, the spray made by Adams, sold at Walmart, we got rid of them. Spray the furniture and mattresses every couple days, change and immediately wash bedding on same scedule.

The above comment is a little over the top!! But that aside could it be possible you have had a problem but it wasn't that bad? That has happened with us - I get eaten alive when we have issues & our pet (1 cat) does not even go outdoors ever, like another poster said they can get in your home even if you don't have pets. Don't be so hard on yourself - & I second the vacuuming a lot & cleaning out the vacuum bag or spraying it with the spray but not spraying your whole home unless it gets really bad. Good luck!
VTMom 06:14 AM 01-07-2013
I'm not sure if this is a regional or time sensitive deal, but we treat our indoor cat with Frontline Plus from the vet. They (frontline) had the guarantee that if you use the product properly for three consecutive months and still have fleas, they will come into your house and treat your house. I've read that the stuff from the vet is different from the stuff in stores, so make sure you're getting the medication from your vet. You'll also need to vacuum daily (throw out the bag each time), as well as wash any blankets/pillows/etc that your pet sleeps on in hot water.

My cat had fleas last fall and I was shocked. He's an indoor cat and we've never had a problem before (he's 15 years old). Our vet said all it takes is a hitchhiker to come in on a pant leg! Sure enough, one of my DC families mentioned that they'll have to bomb their house "again" because of continual problems. My guess is they shared with us!

Good luck. It's a pain, but if you're diligent, you'll get rid of them.
countrymom 07:15 AM 01-07-2013
oh yes, as soon as you vacum clean the bag out. I have a bagless one so it was easy. I would then tie the bag and throw it out right away. After a couple of days I didn't have to vacum as much.
Nickel 08:38 AM 01-07-2013
You got a lot of really good advice. It is extremely hard to get rid of fleas. We watched a friends dog once and our house was infested for what seemed like forever.

Anyway, I would also try Revolution. It's safe for dogs and cats. I got the flea powder, put that down, swept it into the carpet with a broom and then vaccummed the floor. As SOON as you are done vacuuming, empty the bag or canister into a plastic bag and take it outside immediately. Also, be sure to wash all of your bedding, towels, stuffed animals, and any other clothes or soft fabric items that have been out. I put all of my stuff in trash bags and tied them shut and then only opened them to throw the stuff into the wash machine.

Before you apply the flea medicine wash your pets really well in a tub of water with flea shampoo. Make sure you get their heads too because the fleas will run to that area. Do not get water in the eyes or ears though.

Good luck. It stinks having fleas and it takes a lot of work to get rid of them.
Sugar Magnolia 09:47 AM 01-07-2013
After you vacuum, empty the canister or bag, they can survive in there.
My3cents 10:14 AM 01-07-2013
sprinkle Borax on your carpets and doorway entrances. Dawn dish detergent, the original one helps to wash your animals, just don't get it in the eyes.

If you bathe your animal wait 72 hours before applying the advantage or frontline. They also have a pill you can give them- forget the name of it.

Vacuum often and good luck. Anyone can get these you don't have to have a pet to get fleas, they can travel in on host and they love carpets and furniture.

best
Willow 11:03 AM 01-07-2013
Diatomaceous Earth is a very effective natural repellant, but do NOT just go sprinkling up a dust storm around your house. It can be incredibly caustic when inhaled and can be severely irritating to mucous membranes.

If you go that route use a mask and enclosed safety glasses, and vacuum/sweep it all back up when you're done. Make sure you're using food grade DE and not filter grade.

We don't use chemical flea repellants in our house and have never had a single flea. I largely attribute that to diet.
Holiday Park 11:13 AM 01-07-2013
OPest control did the inspection todayt. It is NOT bedbugs and it is fleas. I will be setting up an appt to have them come treat on Saturday . Also,I will be getting new flea medication for the animals and applying it every 2.5-3 weeks maybe 2X before going back to monthly. We will be bathing the dog in something first,2 days prior. The cat...Um Im not gonna try to bathe him
Willow 11:34 AM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
OPest control did the inspection todayt. It is NOT bedbugs and it is fleas. I will be setting up an appt to have them come treat on Saturday . Also,I will be getting new flea medication for the animals and applying it every 2.5-3 weeks maybe 2X before going back to monthly. We will be bathing the dog in something first,2 days prior. The cat...Um Im not gonna try to bathe him
Please check with your vet before you do that.

I can't imagine it would be any kind of good for their health to apply more often than recommended.
Nickel 11:38 AM 01-07-2013
You can get capstar for your cat. It's a oral flea medication. It works great. Our cats were flea free within 48 hours. Just remember when it jumps off your animals it has to go somewhere, so it might get worse for a little before it gets better
VTMom 12:25 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Please check with your vet before you do that.

I can't imagine it would be any kind of good for their health to apply more often than recommended.
I agree. Our vet strongly recommended against dosing our cat more than the once a month application for Frontline Plus. You may want to double check on that first.
Holiday Park 12:49 PM 01-07-2013
Ih yeah I know , now . The pest control guys said that the animals will be protected regardless and the problem is the fleas multiply faster in the house , than on them anyway . So I see why that isnt needed ;-)
Kaddidle Care 06:01 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Nickel:
You can get capstar for your cat. It's a oral flea medication. It works great. Our cats were flea free within 48 hours. Just remember when it jumps off your animals it has to go somewhere, so it might get worse for a little before it gets better
They have capstar for dogs too. I know a few rescues use it but I never have.
Logged out 08:37 PM 01-07-2013
I have heard that fleas hate the smell of eucalyptus. I knew someone with indoor/outdoor pets who said that when they heard about this and planted a euculapytus tree in their back yard and never had another flea problems again because even the existing ones will leave and new ones will stay away. Maybe see about planting one in your yard or getting something with a euculuptus smell (like pet shampoo or a lightly scented laudry soap/laudry sheet or a carpet spray/powder) and see how it works before going out and buying a tree and planting it.

If you think it is for you do some research on the pros and cons and check in with your local licensing regs to see if it is okay- some trees (like oak) and plants (like tomatoes) are not allowed on daycare premises. It's a natural and little-to-almost-none chemical way to getrid of and prevent the wee pests. Even more wonderful news- it smells great.

P.S. I have also heard that many bugs hate the smell lemongrass oil and it is used as a natural insecticide.
jessrlee 04:20 AM 01-08-2013
I have had amazing results with borax. We doused the carpets and furniture Friday night, kept the dog on tile with gates, and vacuumed Monday am. By Friday we had no more fleas
Holiday Park 05:18 AM 01-08-2013
Thank you all for all the great suggestions! You have been all so helpful . Unfortunately they wont be gone for good ,(YET) and even if it takes a few weeks or months, it will be a process, because they have a life cycles and after 2weeks the newly hatches ones that didn't get killed will be biting. I work till 5:30 with these kids everyday and last night I couldn't get to the store in time to treat my animals (or vacuum) because after eating dinner I fell asleep on the recliner and didnt wake up until 5am when i had to be up to shower for my 6am arrival.

And I can't get pest control out here till Sat because i have kids who dont leave until 5:30 pm . It sounds like Im making a bunch of excuses and I hate people who are excuse makers. Right now I actually feel really stressed about the 15 month old child in my care who is aggressive /biting/pulling hair that I have to separate from the group anytime I need to clean up the kitchen or use thr bathroom. And then she is also the one who her mom said she got new bites on friday. I told her it was fleas ad I was taking care of it, even said exactly what we've done and plan to do to take care of it. So it made me irritated this morning when at drop off dcd had to point out the new bite on her hand and dcm also texted me about it. As if its something that can be taken care of overnight . They can point it out to me all they want and I feel bad but there is nothing I can do until saturday ! Other than what Im already doing. The other day when I had sprayed the carpets and furniture, well the very next morning there were still fleas jumping on us. Im already feeling like terminating care with that one child over her biting and its ironic shes the one getting bit too, just not by another child :/ .
Im so stressed over this and the girl's biting I feel like crying.
countrymom 05:38 AM 01-08-2013
that stinks. Call the vet and tell them what is going on. I brought my cat in thats why I know that I had to give it to him every 2 weeks for 3 doses before I went to once a month.

Just keep vacuming, it stinks but you will see less and less. This happened to me in sept. so i completely understand. I did the borax think too on the carpets.

I also wouldn't discuss it with the parents anymore, for all you know, that child is bringing it in with them too.
Holiday Park 06:17 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
that stinks. Call the vet and tell them what is going on. I brought my cat in thats why I know that I had to give it to him every 2 weeks for 3 doses before I went to once a month.

Just keep vacuming, it stinks but you will see less and less. This happened to me in sept. so i completely understand. I did the borax think too on the carpets.

I also wouldn't discuss it with the parents anymore, for all you know, that child is bringing it in with them too.
How do I not discuss it when dcm is texting me "we noticed a bite on her foot and on her right hand last night" And then dcd drops off and asks me to keep an eye out for any new bites she gets (meaning here at my house) .

I didn't respond to her text on that. But I'll have to be extra watchful to compare what she has at drop off with anything new before dcd picks up (for my own security) . So if I see nothing new before pick up and they tell me again she has new bites I'll know it wasn't from my house.
However, I am bot surprised if it IS from my house because yesterday when the pest control guys came over, one of them witnessed a flea jumping on him! And the very night before we had vacuumed the whole house and sprayed flea stuff everywhere.
Holiday Park 09:27 AM 01-12-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:

Help ! The mom is still teying to discuss it with it me. If I didnt answer her text she would have just asked me in person at drop off on Monday. She said there were more bites on her lastnight as even on her face. I told her that I saw none on her face yeaterday when she was here. She asked if pest control had come yet so I said yea they were coming oday and told her we have never seen fleas in the house or had anyone bitten in the NINE yrs I had my car and five yrs I had my little dog. I went on to explain how they have bern kept up to do date on flea /parasite control , and we even bought a different kind this time including a pill fr them to have any fleas on them killed imediately AND they were both bathed in shampoo and are flea free. And tht we are vacuuming and doing all we can. Then I forwarded the pdf file that pest control sent me explaining what your supposed to do further to show them we are doing everything it said and hopefully if they have the problem at their house they can maybe learn something if they are not doing everything themselves for their own home.
When she first tols me back 1-2 months ago that the bites on her dd were from grammas house I didnt think anything of it.
Well also in the same text today, she told me how her mother in law had a flea problem but it has been taken care of now , and she had been sending dcg to my house with bug spray on her skin :0 ! Aren't I supposed to be told if she is medicating her child ? I would have liked to know that she had been applying bug spray on her before her arrival each day .

What makes me mad is that she could have had the courtesy to tell me her mother in law even had a problem with fleas . And dcg is a biter and the say she first tried biting when I asked dcm about it she was like oh yeah she has been biting us at home. I was mad that time because I felt dcm should have warned me about the behavior so I could watch out for it at my house. When I emailed her back (after discussing the biting incident) and explained that communication was important to me and I would have liked her to tell me she had this problem so I would have known before, and been prepared for it. She said She was not withholding information from me , so basically she thought I was acusing her of with holding that information as if it was being kept a secret from me. Oh and that her biting was not a problem. because I had used the phrase biting problem. I didnt mean it that way as if I thought he was keeping it a secret. I was just telling her that from now on if there are any issues at home that might agfrct me or the other kids in my home that I need to know.

Ok just got a text back and hete is her reply:

"Regardless of of the origin of the few fleas at your house and bites I appreciate you taking measures to control them as my mother in law has done. We do not have fleas here have not seen any and have no animals at all and I am we'll aware of the life cycle. Just wanted to let you know that she had some bites. "

The thing is she already told me twice dcg had bites, so I already knew .and #2 if shes well aware of the life cycle (I had explained about the life cycle) and I've only had this problem for 2-3 weeks and am doing all I can why continue to tell me ??
Since it seems that they are the only family that is getting bit I would just term them and say .... "I have done my best to deter the fleas and no other children in my care have been bitten by fleas. It seems like you and your children aren't happy here so maybe you should consider a different daycare/family child care, maybe someone without pets." That way if her kids still get bitten by fleas she will get a big reality smack to the face "Oh, maybe it wasn't the daycare....". Or you can suggest that she keep them home for a few days while you do one last sweep cleaning and make any notes of the children's bite marks when they leave next time and a few days later before they are allowed in and if their are any new bites it should prove that it is from home.

Fleas are almost microscopic that they can hide in cloth fibers (like shoes, clothes back packs, etc.) or in hair. and they can jump around so easily that they are easy to miss. I honestly think that they are bringing them in or it is happening at home and the mom doesn't want to take the blame or she is just in denial. I think if you let this continue for too long she will eventually try to call to make a complaint and claim that your home is infested. I would just term her now.

Also is she sure it is flea bites and bed bugs from her home or their clothes/bedding (you cannot see bed bugs)?
Holiday Park 05:07 PM 01-12-2013
I actually had pest control come to y home THREE times checking for bed bugs and they swore every time they didn't see any.they said as much as I have been getting bitten , there would definitely be SoMe kind f bed bug evidence in my bed or furniture . Because I have personally been getting bitten alive by something! It has only been me, and recently my youngest son who is the same age as dcg.

So badly that my legs are covered with bites I can't even shave my legs. I just started getting them all over my body now and I have even wondered if that was what it is. However, both my older boys (15&9) have told me more than once they saw 1-2 fleas sucking ther blood right in plain view on their arm. And/or saw them jumping around. there was a flea that jumped off my leg one morning when I undressed to take a shower. For some reason no one else in my family OR the other dckids are getting bit beside myself , my 15month old and dcg .

I was ambarrast earlier this week when dcb (different family) was being picked up and he had been waiting in his car seat by the front door. Well when she was walking out she nriced something in his hair and when she said whats that? Thè flea jumped off him . But again no bites and he has nt been bitten yet. I apoligises and told her the animals have been treated but we did have pest cntrol xoming saturday (today) . She has a dog herself and was not bothered by it and said that was ok .
countrymom 05:27 PM 01-12-2013
I bet you that they have them in their house. I think you would notice the bites on a childs face. From now on inspect the child infront of parent, and before they go home. If they call and say they have seen bites on the child as them to take a pic and send it to you.

when my cat got fleas I didn't say anything to the parents because I didn't want to deal with what you are going on with. I would be angry because gma had them and you didn't know about it so the child probably brought them into your house.

oh get the exterminator to sign a piece of paper stating that their are no fleas, that should shut them up, if it doesn't then term them.
Holiday Park 06:19 PM 01-12-2013
I have the work order paper sating the home was treated for fleas but not sure if they would sign anything saying there are no fleas when i know there clearly are as we have seen them. Maybe he can come back and sign something saying so since the home has been now , already treated.

The man accidentally left his work order clip board and some one from the company is supposed to be picking it up this coming week. I was thinking of giving a term letter if ether of them tell me about bites again . Because what am I really supposed to do if I've done what I could . I figure at this point whether I term or they do they will probably bad mouth me anyway.
countrymom 05:56 AM 01-13-2013
you can do everything and they still won't be happy. But if your not seeing these bites when she leaves your house then it has to be coming from home. Its now the weekend, the child shouldn't have any bites, if they come in and tell you that she has bites then its from home. Just keep vacuming, have any of the other children gotten bites.
Sugar Magnolia 06:56 AM 01-13-2013
Holiday, just wondering if you are in Florida? The flea population is exploding here! I don't have them at my center, thank goodness, but do have them at my house because I have a dog. I can't believe its January and was 85 degrees all week! (Global warming anyone?) We did not get any "winter" this year! Mosquitos and fleas and wasps, oh my! I am battling the fleas too and using Raid flea killer plus, and bathing the dog every single day. But my dog is a tiny little guy, so its easy. Its soooooo darn hot this winter, my POOL is actually warm enough to swim in right now. Before we bathe the dog, we quick have him take a swim, drowns most of them. So..baths and Raid and vacuuming. And we don't even have carpeting, all tile!!
LoraJenkins 07:25 AM 01-13-2013
We have 6 cats and 1 dog and have only had a mild problem once. What we did was to treat the pets and vacuum the whole house thoroughly. We them shampooed (sp) EVERYTHING (carpets, furniture, rugs, etc) with extremely hot cleaning solution. Washed all bedding, curtains, etc in HOT water. Then repeated the cleaning process every two weeks for 6 weeks. We have never had another issue.
Lyss 09:26 AM 01-13-2013
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this! Fleas are such a PIA!

I agree with the post that it may be DCG bringing them in. I had a flea issue recently, although not the the degree you have, but mine began with a DCB. Mom dropped off one day without a word about it then at she pick up the first words out of her mouth are "did DCB tell you about our bugs?" turns out their infestation was so bad their landlord professionally treated their house and replaced all the carpet... they're 2 dogs had to stay overnight at the vet and got shaved. She said it was over DCBs weekend from DC (he's not here Thur-Sunday) so she thought the fleas were gone and it wasn't a big deal to bring him and his stuff. I was sooo angry, but i guess at least she told me at some point rather than blaming me. I treated my dog and vacuumed a lot. We had a mini outbreak but I caught it before it got bad thankfully!

Fleas are just one of those things you have to deal with when you have pets and depending on your location some regions are worse than others. Doesn't make you a bad pet owner or provider!

Hope the infestation goes away! It looks as though you have done all that you can (and then some) so DCP should understand, if not I'd term as well! Maybe photocopy or scan the documents the tech left behind so you have additional information? I don't think they can "guarantee" a flee free home out of liability for them
Tags:flees, parakeets, pets in daycare
Reply Up