Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler That Growls
lovemykidstoo 11:14 AM 07-18-2018
So I have a 4 year old dcb that is back 2 days a week for the summer. I had him full time until last September. He went to a preschool/daycare because his dad works for the company (same company, different building accross town). He was a handful a year ago and he still is. Figured I had 1 dcb that doesn't come in the summer, so he would supplement that and it's only for the summer right? Well, I have to say that never again. I am constantly repeating myself with him, he runs the bikes into other vehicles the kids are riding, runs on the cement which I don't allow, rips toys out of other kids hands etc. For 4 years old, just a handful.

Today we were having lunch and I put him on a booster seat because lunch entailed him using a spoon and easier to be taller in the booster. He threw a hissy fit, throwing his arms across his chest, crying, kicking his feet. Complete meltdown. I asked him what the problem was and he loudly growled/hissed at me.

Some may remember my recent post, this is the child that lives down the street and dad lets ride on his lap and steer on the way down here. Dad picked up yesterday and since they live down the road I knew he had been home for quite awhile. He started yawning and I said, tired? He said oh yea I just got up from a 2 hour nap. I cracked up inside. ugh!
amberrose3dg 11:37 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So I have a 4 year old dcb that is back 2 days a week for the summer. I had him full time until last September. He went to a preschool/daycare because his dad works for the company (same company, different building accross town). He was a handful a year ago and he still is. Figured I had 1 dcb that doesn't come in the summer, so he would supplement that and it's only for the summer right? Well, I have to say that never again. I am constantly repeating myself with him, he runs the bikes into other vehicles the kids are riding, runs on the cement which I don't allow, rips toys out of other kids hands etc. For 4 years old, just a handful.

Today we were having lunch and I put him on a booster seat because lunch entailed him using a spoon and easier to be taller in the booster. He threw a hissy fit, throwing his arms across his chest, crying, kicking his feet. Complete meltdown. I asked him what the problem was and he loudly growled/hissed at me.

Some may remember my recent post, this is the child that lives down the street and dad lets ride on his lap and steer on the way down here. Dad picked up yesterday and since they live down the road I knew he had been home for quite awhile. He started yawning and I said, tired? He said oh yea I just got up from a 2 hour nap. I cracked up inside. ugh!
Yeah they sound pleasant. Sometimes money is not worth it especially for two days a week!
storybookending 01:50 PM 07-18-2018
I remember your posts about this kid very well. No way would I still be putting up with this family.
lovemykidstoo 02:28 PM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I remember your posts about this kid very well. No way would I still be putting up with this family.
I texted mom about it earlier and she was apologizing all over the place. Dad comes today and I tell him too and he instead yells at him about the bowtie that he wore here today that he broke. Says oh yes, he acts like that when he's mad or upset. Says, he'll talk to him but not sure that will help. Can you say juvenile court? How do you yell at him for breaking a dumb bowtie but not for growling at his caregiver? Yup, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. This is not happening again next summer. I have about 3 more weeks if I'm re-counting right.
lovemykidstoo 02:29 PM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Yeah they sound pleasant. Sometimes money is not worth it especially for two days a week!
For sure! Trust me, it's not happening next summer.
storybookending 05:03 PM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I texted mom about it earlier and she was apologizing all over the place. Dad comes today and I tell him too and he instead yells at him about the bowtie that he wore here today that he broke. Says oh yes, he acts like that when he's mad or upset. Says, he'll talk to him but not sure that will help. Can you say juvenile court? How do you yell at him for breaking a dumb bowtie but not for growling at his caregiver? Yup, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. This is not happening again next summer. I have about 3 more weeks if I'm re-counting right.
That isn’t that bad esp if it’s only 2 times a week. I feel like in my experience having part time kids like that makes it harder for them to adjust but this little boy had been in your care on a more than full time basis before so I would more than likely just roll my eyes and blame the parents haha!
lovemykidstoo 07:05 PM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
That isn’t that bad esp if it’s only 2 times a week. I feel like in my experience having part time kids like that makes it harder for them to adjust but this little boy had been in your care on a more than full time basis before so I would more than likely just roll my eyes and blame the parents haha!
Yes, I had him for a couple of years 50 hours a week. The entire last year at preschool/daycare mom told me that he had big problems too. They even had to go pick him up a couple of times due to his behavior. They continue to just shrug their shoulders. I mean, how can you sit there and yell at him for breaking his tie and ignoring his hissing and growling? Outrageous. Last week he was spitting in my pool.
lovemykidstoo 11:57 AM 07-24-2018
**Update on our day today with this little guy

I texted mom and said, can we talk about "juniors" day today? She texted back on **** yes what happened?

I said, He has been the most wonderful, respectful, helpful and sweetest boy today. I've made sure to give him tons of positive praise because of it and he went to nap with the biggest smile on his face.

she texted me back and said that made her day because they've been having such a hard time with him.

Love passing along great news about a child when things have been rough.
Tags:growling child, toddler behavior, toddlers
Reply Up