Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Runaway Toddlers
Newteach 10:38 AM 07-28-2018
Anytime I have to transition the children to and fro (like for outside play) I have this one in my class who's hand I have to hold or else he will run off. The problem is I can't always hold his hand because sometimes I have smaller toddlers with me (16 months and 18 months) who are flight risks as well. Although they can't run, they try to wander off to pick up any toy they see along the way.

We have a rope but it doesnt help because they let go of it
Josiegirl 12:52 PM 07-28-2018
I foresee having a runaway issue with an almost 2 yo this fall and have already asked dcm how she feels about a wrist to wrist(or stroller) attachment or a child backpack leash. She said anything is preferable to her dd running into the street. Perhaps you could ask the dcps how they feel about something like that?
Michael 02:23 PM 07-28-2018
There are threads on Leashes, walking ropes and Harnesses: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89923

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...alking+harness

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=walking+ropes
Unregistered 08:59 PM 07-29-2018
I hate to be that person, but this is something you blame parents for. At least around here. I often see toddlers (yes toddlers!) stumbling and bumbling around looking like little drunks. Their mom (I don't see it too much with dads) a few feet in front of them or behind. I literally see moms cross at crosswalks without their toddlers. I've seen all kind of women from all ages doing it. Also, IF they aren't doing that, they're either always having children in car seats or strollers. Many children now a days have poor gross motor skills and muscle tone. They sit around and don't do any thing with their parents.
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by Newteach:
Anytime I have to transition the children to and fro (like for outside play) I have this one in my class who's hand I have to hold or else he will run off. The problem is I can't always hold his hand because sometimes I have smaller toddlers with me (16 months and 18 months) who are flight risks as well. Although they can't run, they try to wander off to pick up any toy they see along the way.

We have a rope but it doesnt help because they let go of it
How many children are in a group outing and how many adults are present to assist?

If you have a child that poses a risk or threat (running off) to others or themselves during an outing I would not bring that child on the outing or I wouldn't go at all. Too risky.
lovemykidstoo 10:22 AM 07-30-2018
How old is the child? I have a 15 month old that walks fine, but is all over the place, doesn't listen, runs off etc. He finds himself in the stroller alot when he does that.
Newteach 11:16 AM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How many children are in a group outing and how many adults are present to assist?

If you have a child that poses a risk or threat (running off) to others or themselves during an outing I would not bring that child on the outing or I wouldn't go at all. Too risky.
7 toddlers (16months to 2 and a half years). It's just me. Unfortunately our center doesn't allow leashes or harnesses and we have to bring all the kids out. Because "they have to learn".
Newteach 11:18 AM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
How old is the child? I have a 15 month old that walks fine, but is all over the place, doesn't listen, runs off etc. He finds himself in the stroller alot when he does that.
The 16 and 18 months are how you described. The one who is the most risky because he runs fast and far is the 2 year old. And he is more risky because he has a specific destination in mind, the big kids playground.
Blackcat31 11:36 AM 07-30-2018
7 toddlers (16months to 2 and a half years). It's just me. Unfortunately our center doesn't allow leashes or harnesses and we have to bring all the kids out. Because "they have to learn".
I understand "learning" but not like that... that is dangerous.

Do you have a fenced area that provides for a safer environment in which the kids can play without access to an exit?

What state are you in?

The center MUST have an adequate safety plan in place for kids of this age. They are dead set about having to take the kids outside then they must be just as diligent with safety. It's not a choose one option.

As a center employee, I would refuse to be put in that situation. IF something were to happen, YOU would be the one held responsible.
lovemykidstoo 11:53 AM 07-30-2018
The 16 and 18 months are how you described. The one who is the most risky because he runs fast and far is the 2 year old. And he is more risky because he has a specific destination in mind, the big kids playground.
So he's old enough to get it or should be at least a bit. I'd be putting him right in the stroller every time. Outside timeout.
Jiminycrickets 12:31 PM 07-30-2018
Is there another class you can walk out with so there are more adults around to help you?
I don't know how cooperative your directors are (I know some are and some aren't) but can you ask if they can help you with these transitions until the little ones "learn"?
Maybe put it like, "I'm trying to teach the little ones, but you know how little Billy is and it's making it hard for me to teach them."
If they won't help because, you know, safety and common sense, maybe you could say you are worried state will show up when you have a runaway and you are by yourself?
I know it can be intimidating to ask for help because it seems like they will think you can't handle it, but some things are just plain not safe. Sometimes these thing need to be pointed out to people who aren't actually trying to deal with it on a daily basis.
Tags:harnesses, leashes, run away, toddlers, walking harness, walking ropes
Reply Up