Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with 2009 Taxes/Minute Menu
misol 01:07 PM 09-07-2010
I saw the thread by MsKara but didn't want to hijack it. Plus my question is slightly different. I am getting close to the extension deadline for 2009 taxes so I need to wrap this up and I am stuck.

I am using TaxCut (HR Block Home) to do taxes. When I enter all my info from Minute Menu, the T/S % that they come up with (59%) is different from what I got in Minute Menu (31.13%) If anyone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it.
misol 05:09 PM 09-08-2010
Anyone??
Michael 05:38 PM 09-08-2010
lol, maybe you should hijack MsKara's thread....
Abigail 11:29 PM 09-08-2010
I've been told it's easier to have someone do daycare tax returns as they can become complicated! Good luck!
legomom922 04:07 AM 09-09-2010
I'm just as confused...sorry I'm no help..Do we have a tax pros out here??
misol 10:20 AM 09-09-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I've been told it's easier to have someone do daycare tax returns as they can become complicated! Good luck!
Thanks. Funny because I've heard the opposite. It's my understanding that standard tax software is designed for regular home offices and that daycare is a whole other animal. Some of us use our entire home as our "home office" and in order to claim everytrhing we are entitled to, it's best to either do it yourself or find a tax preparer that specializes in daycare. Since I haven't been able to find anyone that specializes, I've been tryng to do it myself. I've been using Tom Copeland's books as my guide and was doing fine up until this point. I might have to break down and pay to have someone else do them Last year was my first year doing daycare and it was only for part of the year. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is why I'm having an issue.

I think I will try calling the TaxCut and Minute Menu help lines to see if either can explain my discrepancy.
DCMom 11:30 AM 09-09-2010
I have used Turbo Tax for years; the Home and Business version asks questions specific to daycare.

I'm not sure if you have seen this, but if you aren't comfortable doing your own taxes (and many people aren't!) here is a link to try and find a tax preparer close to you. I believe that many if not all of them have had some training with Tom Copeland. That would be the first question I asked if I was looking for someone and the second would be whether or not they have ever been a daycare provider. That would ideal

http://www.resourcesforchildcare.org...Tax%20Preparer
TomCopeland 06:41 PM 09-09-2010
I don't know your exact problem but it sounds like the software is only counting your space percent, not your time-space percent. I'd be happy to help you out if you call me at 651-280-5991. Tom
misol 08:26 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I don't know your exact problem but it sounds like the software is only counting your space percent, not your time-space percent. I'd be happy to help you out if you call me at 651-280-5991. Tom
OMG! Thanks Tom. I will definitely take you up on your offer.
Tags:minute menu kids
Reply Up