Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Which Child Do I Let Go???
PolkaTots 05:14 AM 10-05-2011
I have decided to downgrade my registration level come renewal next month. In doing so, I will be required to go from 8 children, to 6. Currently I have 7, 2 of those are my own children, and 2 of them (Teacher's children) are DCs that I have watched for 3 years now...so they won't be let go. Of these 4, 2 will leave for kindergarten next year.

Now I am having a hard time deciding which child to let go:

Child A) 5 year old. Has been with me a year. Is the only child that is not FT. She is here 3/4 time though, and attends preschool at the same one the 4 keepers are at. She will leave for Kindergarten next year.

Child B) 2.5 year old. Has been with me 4 months. The only child here with a continuously runny nose. Comes very dirty at times. Never has a change of clothes even though I have sent home reminders and asked them directly for them since he is potty training. Parents are not respectful of my rules, and they drop the child off and pick them up at random times. Even though young mother only works 2 days per week. Child is here FT.

Child C) 2.5 year old. Has been with me 4 months. Another Teacher's child. Mother is pregnant and due in April. Very sweet child, but does have some developmental delays. Financially, I cannot afford to have 4 teachers children, and my crew is 2-5 years old. We go on a lot of outings, and I no longer have any infant items. Not sure if it would even work to take an infant. But this family is by far the nicest of the 3.

The ages of my crew are 2-5, with 3 of them leaving for kindergarten next year.

Which child would you be most likely to terminate?
Cat Herder 05:28 AM 10-05-2011
Personally I would keep those with the highest earnings potential. My kids are REALLY close to College age and it is financial crunch time.

But IMHO the best way to decide is:

Step 1. Crunch the numbers....edit out emotion and see which one is the best financial match for the long haul. *_______ < insert name here

Step 2. Look at who you enjoy working with most. Ideally they would be the same person but not always so. *_______ < insert name here

Step 3. Choose one that is NOT included in Steps 1 & 2.
cheerfuldom 05:51 AM 10-05-2011
Do you know for sure that the pregnant mom wants to use you come spring with the infant?

Besides that, I would let the one with the rude mom go. I'm all about stress relieving and if they are causing the most trouble, then they can go now. Its a great time to let them go with the downsize because it doesn't sound like they are open to a frank discussion about the issues, or a solution. so child B.

you could always replace the kinder one next fall, or the teacher's kid come spring when they take off for the maternity leave and summer.
wdmmom 06:05 AM 10-05-2011
I would let both B and C go and advertise for a FULL TIME spot.
mismatchedsocks 06:38 AM 10-05-2011
I would let B go now, then not agree to take infant of child c, so may have to advertise for opening for April.
PolkaTots 07:33 AM 10-05-2011
Thank you for all of the advice. You did help me make my decision. So now my question is, how should I word the termination letter? I would like to had a letter to her with a specific date of termination at the end of the week. (BTW, I am letting go child B...for now)
laundrymom 10:23 AM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
Thank you for all of the advice. You did help me make my decision. So now my question is, how should I word the termination letter? I would like to had a letter to her with a specific date of termination at the end of the week. (BTW, I am letting go child B...for now)
Dear Mom,

It is with great sadness I must terminate our childcare contract. I am downsizing my registration and am eliminating part of my enrollment. The number for our r&R is,.......

Thank you

Polka dots,...
SimpleMom 12:01 PM 10-05-2011
I would let the familiy go that started last. First come, first serve.
I might also see if I could wait to change my enrollment levels until next Fall when the other two go to Kindergarten. I wouldn't take any new clients until that time either--if my numbers would coincide.

It's not a decision I would make based on who I liked best (kwim?). If you can't take an infant then I would let that family go and let them know the reason asap. Then they can find alternate care as soon as possible.
Michael 03:59 PM 10-05-2011
Lots of termination samples here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ination+letter
Tags:termination letter
Reply Up