Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Table Issues
storybookending 01:52 PM 11-17-2017
So this isn’t so much as an issue as it is an annoyance. My youngest DCB turns 1 next week! All of my DCK’s sit at my dining room table for snacks and meals. The younger ones start in those space saver high chairs that strap to the dining room chairs. His parents started him on solids a bit late IMO but we are doing great now consistently eating table foods on the same schedule as the older children.

When they first start table foods I use the tray that comes with the high chairs and then as they get more proficient I’ll add in plates/bowls and silverware. I always start with snacks first and the child is doing great keeping his bowl and cup on the table and I’m getting ready to start with lunch plates. My issue is that this kid is CONSTANTLY pushing his chair away from the table to the point where he can’t reach his food. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on curbing this behavior or if anyone knows any products that will strap his chair to the table so he can’t push away? I’ve been standing behind him while he eats but this isn’t always an option as I need to be tending to the other children as well.

I’ve tried just leaving him pushed back where he can’t reach wondering if eventually he’d get mad and start to whine to be pushed back but he just doesn’t care. I feel bad doing this until the meal time is over having him then not eat at all and treating him like I would one of the big kids and making him wait until the next meal because of his age. Do you think he is too young to do that to?

ETA: at home he eats in a regular high chair still if that matters at all!

Like I mention not really a big deal but just a daily annoyance I can’t wait until he grows out of and wondering if anyone had a fix. Sorry I tend to be very wordy with my posts. Have a great weekend!
rosieteddy 04:48 PM 11-17-2017
Why not just use the tray a little longer?I would do that through the holidays.I always found their schedules get messed up at holidays.Then in Jan start back at table .Less stress for you.Also you could get some plastic disks for under chair legs.That might keep him close to the table.
storybookending 05:28 PM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Why not just use the tray a little longer?I would do that through the holidays.I always found their schedules get messed up at holidays.Then in Jan start back at table .Less stress for you.Also you could get some plastic disks for under chair legs.That might keep him close to the table.
The tray is narrow and doesn’t fit bowls and plates. My table is on hardwood floors and I do have those carpet like things on the bottle of the chair legs to not scratch the floors that I didn’t even think about. I could take them off and see if the chair is harder for him to push away.
Unregistered 05:52 PM 11-17-2017
My daughter used to do the same thing. Can you place him at the end of the table and push the table close to the wall temporarily so that he’s unable to push back? I’m obviously making some assumptions about your layout but basing it off of a typical dining room set up.
racemom 08:25 PM 11-17-2017
I have some rubber grips under my reclining couches in my living room because I have hardwood floors, and they would slide against the wall every time we,sat on them. They are rubber disks that have adhesive you stick them on the legs, and prevents sliding. That should keep him at the table.
Lissa Kristine 09:45 PM 11-17-2017
I agree with waiting until after the holiday craziness is over and everyone has readjusted to normalcy after vacations, etc to implement any major changes at daycare. I also agree with finding a way to block the chair- like arranging it so the wall is directly behind the chair if possible. My concern with using rubber grips etc is that if the chair isn't heavy/solid enough, instead of sliding back, the child might tip the chair over entirely.
storybookending 11:24 AM 11-18-2017
I have taken the grips off the chairs that have a carpet like cloth bottom. I’m going to see if I can get some rubber like bottomed ones at the store this weekend and see if that works. My chairs are sturdy and fairly heavy, it would be very hard to tip them over so I’m not worried about that.

I don’t really view moving a child to the lunch table as a major change as some of you have mentioned. He already eats at the same time as the older children and eats the same foods. Just now he’s about a foot back from the table in the booster with the tray. Snacks he eats in the same booster but I remove the tray and push him up the the table with a bowl and his cup.
Tags:eating issues, table issues, table manners
Reply Up