Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Wondering How You Would Feel?
karen 10:45 AM 01-12-2012
O.K. two situations…..
First…..I am really trying to stand up for myself better. New Year New Me attitude. Two of my parents owe me money, I have been really good at letting them know and asking when I can expect a payment from them. One of them is a single dad and is only 21!!!!!!! He only lets it get so far behind and he will pay up. The other parent is on scholarship assistance meaning the city pays a portion of her daycare kind of like county well I have really been on her to pay me her portion, she is a month behind, well here’s my favorite part she calls me today and tells me she is putting her child in this program called Project 123 because it’s free! So she gave me her weeks notice. So because I have been asking her for money she is pulling her child out!!!!!!! Now she has a good job making 12 dollars an hour and the dad who also lives in the house works full time and makes pretty good money but she doesn’t claim him as living there so she can get her free stuff!!!!! I feel like turning her in. I have had her daughter for almost 2 years and was prepared to lose her in August because she starts Kindergarten but this is ridiculous!!!! The nerve of some people!
Here is the best part she only has to pay me $40.00 a week!

How would you feel?

Second…..A lady I met at the grocery store awhile back found out she does in home child care so we became venting friends since we see each other every Sunday morning! I found out that not only is she turning kids away because she is full she is charging 15 more dollars a day than me, No contract and it’s all under the table! Really how does that work. I struggle to get kids in here! So what am I doing wrong? I am doing everything by the book and can’t seem to stay full!!!

How would you feel?
This job makes me frustrated at times!
bunnyslippers 10:59 AM 01-12-2012
Sounds like you are having a tough day! I would be annoyed at the mom who is leaving, but I bet in the end it will be a good thing. Once you fill her spot, you will be free of the aggravation of chasing her for money all the time. Everything happens for a reason, and maybe this will make your day-to-day less stressful.

Maybe your friend from the grocery store could send the people she is turning away to you. I would ask her to help you out, since she is full and you have the room. It can't hurt to ask, and maybe it will work out better for you.

It is a frustrating business...and sometimes you have to wonder if it is worth it. Try to think of the reasons you do it - whatever your reasons are - and focus on that instead of being upset. It doesn't always work, but it's worth a try! Hang in there
karen 11:19 AM 01-12-2012
Thanks!!!! Going to hang in there.
MyAngels 11:26 AM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
Sounds like you are having a tough day! I would be annoyed at the mom who is leaving, but I bet in the end it will be a good thing. Once you fill her spot, you will be free of the aggravation of chasing her for money all the time. Everything happens for a reason, and maybe this will make your day-to-day less stressful.

Maybe your friend from the grocery store could send the people she is turning away to you. I would ask her to help you out, since she is full and you have the room. It can't hurt to ask, and maybe it will work out better for you.

It is a frustrating business...and sometimes you have to wonder if it is worth it. Try to think of the reasons you do it - whatever your reasons are - and focus on that instead of being upset. It doesn't always work, but it's worth a try! Hang in there
This, plus I would ask the other daycare provider for more information about her program, maybe you can pick up on something that sets her apart and would help your program to reach that level as well.

Oh, and I don't agree with the under-the-table payment thing, that's not right when the majority of people pull their share and pay their taxes .
DaisyMamma 11:51 AM 01-12-2012
gosh, doesn't it make you want to turn them both in!!

ask the mom for prepayment of her last two weeks and whatever she owes you up front.
ask your friend to send kids your way! and maybe you can meetup at her place sometime so you can have a look around. don't feel bad asking her how she advertises.
Cat Herder 12:07 PM 01-12-2012
No pay, No Stay.

You have the power here.
Nellie 12:43 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by karen:
O.K. two situations…..
First…..I am really trying to stand up for myself better. New Year New Me attitude. Two of my parents owe me money, I have been really good at letting them know and asking when I can expect a payment from them. One of them is a single dad and is only 21!!!!!!! He only lets it get so far behind and he will pay up. The other parent is on scholarship assistance meaning the city pays a portion of her daycare kind of like county well I have really been on her to pay me her portion, she is a month behind, well here’s my favorite part she calls me today and tells me she is putting her child in this program called Project 123 because it’s free! So she gave me her weeks notice. So because I have been asking her for money she is pulling her child out!!!!!!! Now she has a good job making 12 dollars an hour and the dad who also lives in the house works full time and makes pretty good money but she doesn’t claim him as living there so she can get her free stuff!!!!! I feel like turning her in. I have had her daughter for almost 2 years and was prepared to lose her in August because she starts Kindergarten but this is ridiculous!!!! The nerve of some people!
Here is the best part she only has to pay me $40.00 a week!

How would you feel?

Second…..A lady I met at the grocery store awhile back found out she does in home child care so we became venting friends since we see each other every Sunday morning! I found out that not only is she turning kids away because she is full she is charging 15 more dollars a day than me, No contract and it’s all under the table! Really how does that work. I struggle to get kids in here! So what am I doing wrong? I am doing everything by the book and can’t seem to stay full!!! How would you feel?
This job makes me frustrated at times!
As for the other daycare provider staying full perhaps ask her about what she offers. Does she live in a convient location? Are your rates alot cheaper than the average? A while ago I was contimplating on weather to take another child. I am a tad bit cheaper than the average daycare, but not by much. Normally when I advertise on CL I put my rates down. I desided if I was going to take another child I was going to charge more. I advertised a little higher than the average price for DC in the area and I had a lot more calls and interviews than I have ever in the past from CL. All the calls were from both perfessional working parents. I guess from when I had my daughter in DC I typically overlooked the severly low priced DC. If the average price for DC is 125 to 150 a week in my eyes it made me think twice about calling some one that charged 75 to 100.
bunnyslippers 12:53 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by Nellie:
I desided if I was going to take another child I was going to charge more. I advertised a little higher than the average price for DC in the area and I had a lot more calls and interviews than I have ever in the past from CL. All the calls were from both perfessional working parents. I guess from when I had my daughter in DC I typically overlooked the severly low priced DC. If the average price for DC is 125 to 150 a week in my eyes it made me think twice about calling some one that charged 75 to 100.
I agree with this!!! I charge a bit more than all the child cares in my area; as a result, I think parents are eager to place their children with me - sort of a "you get what you pay for" attitude. I usually have a waiting list, and I know it is because in my area there is a competitive edge to the parents...everyone wants the fancy car, the fancy house...and the fancy daycare. Sometimes, if your area can support it, the more expensive you are, the more people want you.
godiva83 02:40 PM 01-12-2012
If you know that she has a decent job, Dad has a job and is supporting them, and she is hiding that info forsure- I would call them in.

I am so sick of people abusing the system. There are people who need the help severely that can hardly survive that are on a wait list, all while people are taking advantage of a good thing.

Call her in
I worked in subsidy for a long time and it really opened my eyes. This lady is comitting crime and fraud - not good.

I also agree with all the other advice given.

Good luck hope you get some advice from your friend and get your spots filled
karen 10:37 AM 01-13-2012
Thank you everyone for the kind words and wonderful advice!
This time it worked out for me...I have a full time infant starting in 2 weeks.
As of right now I am full and hope to stay that way. Where I live the competition is crazy...Daycares everywhere and everyone seems to be doing in home these days. You really have to have something unique or special to make it over here.
Blackcat31 11:51 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by karen:
Where I live the competition is crazy...Daycares everywhere and everyone seems to be doing in home these days. You really have to have something unique or special to make it over here.
That is really kind of sad when you think about it.

Here, you just have to be really good at what you do.

We have a lot of new providers who come and go as quickly as they started but in the long run when you look at who has managed to stay full during this tough econmomy, it isn't always the ones who are older or have been in the business the longest....it is the providers who are simply good at what they do.

Quality means more to me than any new fangled toy or advertising gimmick.

In my neck of the woods substance still means something.
Ariana 01:36 PM 01-13-2012
How about getting the lady who is turning kids away to turn them over to you?
Tags:backbone, enforcing policies - consistency, payment - contract, payment drama, payment issues
Reply Up