Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking a Paid Day for July 4th…
Crazy8 12:17 PM 06-01-2015
July 4th is a Saturday this year. I normally would take the friday before as my paid holiday (contract states I reserve the right to take the friday before/monday after for holidays falling on the weekends) but I am currently closed on Fridays. I feel like everyone will get the Friday off so feel like I shouldn't take the Monday. Would it be wrong to take the Thursday (July 2nd) as the holiday? I actually need that day off so will have to take it as a vacation day if I can't take it as the holiday. WWYD?
Annalee 12:19 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
July 4th is a Saturday this year. I normally would take the friday before as my paid holiday (contract states I reserve the right to take the friday before/monday after for holidays falling on the weekends) but I am currently closed on Fridays. I feel like everyone will get the Friday off so feel like I shouldn't take the Monday. Would it be wrong to take the Thursday (July 2nd) as the holiday? I actually need that day off so will have to take it as a vacation day if I can't take it as the holiday. WWYD?
I am closed July 2 and 3 with pay
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 06-01-2015
I am closed July 6-10. Paid.
AmyKidsCo 12:35 PM 06-01-2015
I'd take the 2nd instead.
NightOwl 02:23 PM 06-01-2015
I don't think I would close an extra day just because I'm already closed on the designated holiday. But if you have paid personal days in your contract, use one of those. Make it a long weekend.
e.j. 02:50 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
If it were me, I'd take it as a vacation day not as the holiday.
NightOwl 05:26 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
If it were me, I'd take it as a vacation day not as the holiday.

Unregistered 06:12 PM 06-01-2015
I do like banks and other businesses do (or did) and if the holiday is a Saturday, take the holiday on a different day- you earn that day with pay as your contract states! Otherwise you're losing a paid "holiday" day!
CraftyMom 06:54 PM 06-01-2015
I am taking the 3rd as the holiday and the 6th as a personal day, so we can have a 4 day weekend for camping. I am not taking a vacation until the last week of Sept. This will help break up the loooong stretch from Dec - Sept
Josiegirl 03:24 AM 06-02-2015
My policies now state I get paid 52 weeks a year. I am careful about how much time I take off so as not to appear to take advantage of dcps. Even with that said, I am taking July 2-3 off. I can't remember the last time I took a week off.
LysesKids 03:35 AM 06-02-2015
I always tell my families that I have 20 days of closings each year; 10 of those business days are vacation days so I don't burn out; I plan my vacations near holidays so I can stretch the time off by adding weekends... My first vacay this year just happened - I closed at 5pm on the 16th and didn't re-open until last Tuesday at 6am. My next one is the entire week of Thanksgiving when I fly out to California
Crazy8 07:42 AM 06-02-2015
I probably will just use a vacation day since my own contract doesn't really cover taking the thursday off as the holiday.

I get 9 paid holidays a year and am losing out on at least 3 of them this year with the holidays falling on the weekend. Boo!!
NightOwl 08:18 AM 06-02-2015
Oh that sucks. Do you arrange your calender at the beginning of the year? Look at where the holidays fall and such? If you knew way in advance that you would be losing all those paid holidays, you could inform parents in January of your intentions to take alternate days.

For instance, I'm not taking a week of vacation all at once this year. I made it work to my advantage. I took/am taking the Friday before memorial day and the one before labor day so I'll have 2 four day weekends.

The other 3 days I will take December 21-23, and then Christmas is the 24 -25, so I'll have 9 days off then if you include the weekends.

Make it work for YOU! Just give them lots of notice, preferably a list at the beginning of the year.
Annalee 09:18 AM 06-02-2015
I check the Holidays annually as we renew our contracts every Jan.1st. I take extra days around Memorial Day, July 4th, and close the week before Labor Day and Dec. 24-jan 1. I leave 5 personal days floating to be used consecutive or separate and have unlimited emergency days but hardly ever use those but that protects me from using up my personal time. I also allow days for professional days.
Margarete 11:38 AM 06-02-2015
"contract states I reserve the right to take the friday before/monday after for holidays falling on the weekends"

You are entitled per your contract to have Monday as a holiday (If the holiday was on a Friday you would miss out per your contract.

I would ask your parents if they would have a problem with you taking the Thursday off instead of Monday as your paid Holiday. If they are hesitant, let them know you would otherwise be taking Thursday as a 'personal day' and Monday as your holiday. This way you will be open on Monday.

Then change your contract to read Thursday or Monday, and include holidays that may land on a Friday
Crazy8 05:42 PM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by Margarete:
"contract states I reserve the right to take the friday before/monday after for holidays falling on the weekends"

You are entitled per your contract to have Monday as a holiday (If the holiday was on a Friday you would miss out per your contract.

I would ask your parents if they would have a problem with you taking the Thursday off instead of Monday as your paid Holiday. If they are hesitant, let them know you would otherwise be taking Thursday as a 'personal day' and Monday as your holiday. This way you will be open on Monday.

Then change your contract to read Thursday or Monday, and include holidays that may land on a Friday
Thats a good idea. I wasn't even really considering being closed the Monday but I could off up the Thursday instead of the Monday.

My contract was written based on my daycare being open Mon-Fri - its only the last few months that I've had fridays off and I will go back to the M-F schedule when it becomes necessary.
Crazy8 05:45 PM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
Oh that sucks. Do you arrange your calender at the beginning of the year? Look at where the holidays fall and such? If you knew way in advance that you would be losing all those paid holidays, you could inform parents in January of your intentions to take alternate days.

For instance, I'm not taking a week of vacation all at once this year. I made it work to my advantage. I took/am taking the Friday before memorial day and the one before labor day so I'll have 2 four day weekends.

The other 3 days I will take December 21-23, and then Christmas is the 24 -25, so I'll have 9 days off then if you include the weekends.

Make it work for YOU! Just give them lots of notice, preferably a list at the beginning of the year.
I don't really look that far ahead at the beginning of the year, and the 4 day work week is probably temporary - it just worked out that way that I have all clients who are off on Friday. May end in September if I have to take a full timer to fill my next opening.

But just noticed the xmas/new years holidays fall on Fridays this year and since I take 24th/25th and 31st/1st I will already be taking the Thursdays off so will just lose out on 2 of the 4 days.
Unregistered 04:55 AM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am closed July 6-10. Paid.
I love tour quotes. U wish I could email you on some of the struggles I'm having.
Blackcat31 05:32 AM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I love your quotes. I wish I could email you on some of the struggles I'm having.
You are always welcome to PM me. Unregistered users do not have access to private message functions of the forum but you are welcome to e-mail anytime and if I can be helpful to you, I'd gladly do so...

My e-mail is: Blackcat@daycare.com
originalkat 03:07 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
I don't think I would close an extra day just because I'm already closed on the designated holiday. But if you have paid personal days in your contract, use one of those. Make it a long weekend.
Me too. As much as I would want to count it as the holiday, I dont think it would be legit. Use a vacation day.
Tags:4th of july, paid days
Reply Up