Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing down - advice on letter?
Unregistered 07:17 AM 09-23-2015
I have decided to close. It's just not working out for our family and I want to go back to school. I feel so guilty because I only have two families and they are both infant age (9 months and 18 months). Infant care is really hard to find in my area. Its hard for providers to get any other age as there's a large, inexpensive preschool on our area. That's another reason I'm closing. Also the 9 month old just started last month but she really is not adjusting. Anyway, I wanted to get some advice on my closing letter and if you would share your experiences with parent reaction I would be appreciative! I plan on telling them in 2-3 weeks so they'll have at least two months to find care. If they leave before then we are prepared for that as well. Thanks!

Here's what I've got:

After much thought and consideration I have decided to close the daycare on or about December 16, 2015. Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that daycare is not financially a good long term option for our family. I have decided to go back to school and have been offered an opportunity to do some clerical work from home. I will then have the flexibility to further my education. I am flexible and should you need occasional or back-up care, I would be happy to help. I have enjoyed caring for your children and getting to know your family. I will truly miss them but feel this is the best choice for our family.
Former Teacher 07:58 AM 09-23-2015
Dear Parents-

After much thought and consideration, I have decided to close the daycare on December 16th. I have enjoyed my time as your daycare provider but it is time to move on.

Here are some numbers to contact to help you in your child care search.

Thank you

Provider
Crazy8 08:43 AM 09-23-2015
I would cut ties entirely not do the "I'll be around for a while" thing. I would keep it more professional, less personal. Give a definite end date, give the name/number of where they can continue their search. If you want to be a little more personal mention that you have decided to further your education and will be seeking work in a more related field. So maybe a cross between what you have written and what Former Teacher has given. Good luck!!!
LindseyA 09:16 AM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I would cut ties entirely not do the "I'll be around for a while" thing. I would keep it more professional, less personal. Give a definite end date, give the name/number of where they can continue their search. If you want to be a little more personal mention that you have decided to further your education and will be seeking work in a more related field. So maybe a cross between what you have written and what Former Teacher has given. Good luck!!!

Play Care 09:21 AM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Dear Parents-

After much thought and consideration, I have decided to close the daycare on December 16th. I have enjoyed my time as your daycare provider but it is time to move on.

Here are some numbers to contact to help you in your child care search.

Thank you

Provider

Unregistered 09:49 AM 09-23-2015
Thank you all! I agree!
Reply Up