Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Dozed Off During Nap Time?
Unregistered 07:58 PM 05-10-2012
I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this?

I'm 35w pregnant, and have 5 DCK and by nap time I just can't keep my eyes open. I try and clean the kitchen or get an activity ready for the afternoon but I find myself dozing off sitting on the couch while cutting stuff out even! I feel very guilty about this. It's not like I'm going to my bed and napping, but dozing off for maybe even a few minutes at a time. I'm sure I've slept for 10 mins and woken up freaking out. All my kids are very sound sleepers and are sleeping in the sleep room safely right beside the living room where I usually sit to get stuff ready for after nap. Ah, I feel like I am just making excuses.

So, honestly have you ever dozed off like that during the day?
I am trying to work up until the very end but it's getting hard, especially the last 2 weeks.

Any advice?
Breezy 09:15 PM 05-10-2012
I have before. Everyone else sleeping bottle feeding a baby on the couch I have for a few seconds. Felt great to close my eyes and gave me the refresher I needed. Nothing too deep just basically in la la land.
Creek 10:04 PM 05-10-2012
Even back when I was working in centre care during nap time if I had to rub one of their backs on their bed I would sometimes close my eyes while I was rubbing their back. I only wish I could tell the child to move over, that I need a nap too, haha. Don't be so hard on yourself, and congratulations!
Nellie 10:49 PM 05-10-2012
I try not to sit down when I feel tired at nap time(but I'm not pregnant). I have a little on that has had a cough for the last 2 weeks and in the middle of the night he will start coughing so bad that sometimes he throws up. So for the last 2 weeks I wake up every time he coughs incase he vomits. I clean the kitchen at nap and work on activites for the kids while standing up. Sometimes I bring the lab top and set it on the counter and watch a little tv or check in on Daycare.com. Well one day last week I started to doze off while standing at the counter trying to read something. So now that happened I need to just keep moving. I have a front porch attached to the living room and I find sitting out in the frest air wakes me up. I leave the door open and the door to the nap room is 10 ft from that door way so I hear if any wakes up. My baby hasn't been very good about napping when the older ones are napping so most of the time I'm busy with him. The day I started to doze off while standing the baby woke up 1/2 way through nap and I sat on the porch and fed him his bottle. One of the parents came early to pick up and I was holding the sleeping baby outside. I told them if I sat in the warm house I'd probable want to go to sleep too. There comment was "I don't know why you wouldn't. If every one else is sleeping you might as well too. Our old sitter told us that she napped at nap time. " Considering that my only other family is "the napping provider" I'm sure no one would have a problem if I did accidently fall asleep at nap, but there is a different level of care that I need to provide vs if it were my own kids. I can let my own kids outside by themself and watch though the window while I do the dishes or fold towels, but I wouldn't dare let DC outside without me being right there. The same thing goes for sleeping. And if for some reason something bad happened, I'm sure I'd never forgive myself. You are almost there. Do you have any friends or family that could come and sit with you during nap time. You could nap while the kids are napping and have someone there to supervise nap time. Even if you could get someone twice a week, you would feel the difference. Congratulations on the new bundle of joy, hope he/she comes soon/but not too soon.
Michael 01:23 AM 05-11-2012
I found this thread for 2010 about napping providers: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20708
Hunni Bee 03:37 AM 05-11-2012
We've probably all done it a time or two. Especially on those dark, rainy afternoons. If I feel myself dozing off, I go do some chores
Unregistered 05:34 AM 05-11-2012
I'm 6 weeks and about to die from exhaustion. Yesterday at naptime I put all of the kids to bed with gates on the doors, and I laid down at the top of the stairs, set my alarm for 30 minutes out, and closed my eyes. I wasn't planning on sleeping, and actually never fell asleep, but I did allow myself deep relaxation. If the kids did wake up, they would have to open the door, scale the gate, and climb literally over me before getting down the stairs. The rest of my house is like a fortress that most adults can't even open the doors to get out, so I feel confident that even if any of that happened, and they were to get down stairs without me knowing, they would still be safe. Disclaimer: nothing is full proof.

I know some people would still judge me for even doing that, but when you are exhausted, working 50+ hours a week, pregnant, taking care of too many kids because you have to, and waking up too early, etc, sometimes you just have to occasionally do what you have to do to get by.
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm 6 weeks and about to die from exhaustion. Yesterday at naptime I put all of the kids to bed with gates on the doors, and I laid down at the top of the stairs, set my alarm for 30 minutes out, and closed my eyes. I wasn't planning on sleeping, and actually never fell asleep, but I did allow myself deep relaxation. If the kids did wake up, they would have to open the door, scale the gate, and climb literally over me before getting down the stairs. The rest of my house is like a fortress that most adults can't even open the doors to get out, so I feel confident that even if any of that happened, and they were to get down stairs without me knowing, they would still be safe. Disclaimer: nothing is full proof.

I know some people would still judge me for even doing that, but when you are exhausted, working 50+ hours a week, pregnant, taking care of too many kids because you have to, and waking up too early, etc, sometimes you just have to occasionally do what you have to do to get by.
Uh uh..no way!!!! I am sorry but that is just an excuse. If you are exhausted from working 50+ hours per week and pregnant and taking care of too many kids then you need to do something about it.

Work less, take fewer kids. Do whatever you have to do but please don't make excuses for the safety of ANY child you are in charge of.

If I were a parent and read that you are doing this I would be reporting you immediately and pulling my child immediately as well! I am paying you to care for him. Not just while he is awake but at ALL TIMES!!

Am I judging you for this? Not for being tired and stressed due to being pregnant but absolutely for not making the right choices. You need to lighten you load if you are having trouble and either watch less kids or work less hours. Which ever will work so that you dont have to lie down while you are being paid to watch someone else's child.

Do your DCF's know that you are laying down during the day? Are they ok with it? We have been over this before on the forum and I think it was pretty clear that the majority of providers would not think napping on the job is alright.

You can say your house is a fortress and that you have taken every precaution out there but it is still just an excuse. Unless your daycare parents AND CPS are all aware of these actions and okay with them what I think you are doing is wrong!!!!!

You said your self.....nothing is fool proof so you are taking a chance that would land you in some major hot water God forbid should something happen!

Please take a day off and get some rest or please lighten your work load. Cut your hours, term some kids....I don't know but you need to do what ever you need to do so that you aren't feeling the need to put other people's children in danger.

Here is a great thread to remind people of the dangers if napping on the job : https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40903
godiva83 06:22 AM 05-11-2012
Running a daycare is hard work and add the extra stress of doing it pregnant it can make it even more taxing.
However, it isn't safe or professional to 'nap' while on the clock IMO.
Anything can happen and you need to be on the ball at all times. Say, you had a C02 leak or fire and needed to evacuate immediately... Waking up to that situation your head would not be clear, time is against you ect.

I just say don't or no you CAN'T do it - even though it is very tempting when you on your last legs.
Get some fresh air, meditate, do some Yoga but don't sleep please.
Heidi 06:33 AM 05-11-2012
I COMPLETELY empathize with all of you who are preggers and are fighting fatigue.

Is it possible that any of you could get a family member to come over in the afternoons during nap and just hang out while you nap? That way, you have an alert adult on the premises, and you could actually sleep for 20 minutes guilt free...
B Lou 07:02 AM 05-11-2012
I would have to say there have been dozens of time where I wanted to lie down and take a nap. But I'm not paid for napping. So when my DCK are sleeping I take that time to get things picked back up or lunch dishes washed up. If anything it's a good time for me to get a salad made for our dinner. T

This way I can still make sure the DCk are safe and sound(which is what I get paid for) and get my own stuff done as well.

In my opinion it is never ok to nap during DC hours.
Unregistered 07:09 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Uh uh..no way!!!! I am sorry but that is just an excuse. If you are exhausted from working 50+ hours per week and pregnant and taking care of too many kids then you need to do something about it.

Work less, take fewer kids. Do whatever you have to do but please don't make excuses for the safety of ANY child you are in charge of.

If I were a parent and read that you are doing this I would be reporting you immediately and pulling my child immediately as well! I am paying you to care for him. Not just while he is awake but at ALL TIMES!!

Am I judging you for this? Not for being tired and stressed due to being pregnant but absolutely for not making the right choices. You need to lighten you load if you are having trouble and either watch less kids or work less hours. Which ever will work so that you dont have to lie down while you are being paid to watch someone else's child.

Do your DCF's know that you are laying down during the day? Are they ok with it? We have been over this before on the forum and I think it was pretty clear that the majority of providers would not think napping on the job is alright.

You can say your house is a fortress and that you have taken every precaution out there but it is still just an excuse. Unless your daycare parents AND CPS are all aware of these actions and okay with them what I think you are doing is wrong!!!!!

You said your self.....nothing is fool proof so you are taking a chance that would land you in some major hot water God forbid should something happen!

Please take a day off and get some rest or please lighten your work load. Cut your hours, term some kids....I don't know but you need to do what ever you need to do so that you aren't feeling the need to put other people's children in danger.

Here is a great thread to remind people of the dangers if napping on the job : https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40903
I wrote that I "never intended on sleeping" and that I "did NOT fall asleep." I was not laying down to take a nap. I laid down on the FLOOR at the top of the stairs (probably the most uncomfortable place ever) and closed my eyes for a few minutes. Are you telling me that I should be reported for closing my eyes and relaxing for a few minutes while everyone else was asleep!?! I was making the point that I had safeguards in place in the event that I did ACCIDENTALLY fall asleep, which I reiterate to you again, that I did not. Your response is extremely judgmental and over the top , considering all I did was close my eyes and NOT sleep. You dont know my family's financial situation, or anything about my daycare or home. If I could take a day off I would. If I didn't have to work so many hours I would not. If I could drop a kid or two I would. I cannot do those things. I am not putting anyone's children in danger at all, in any way whatsoever. Are you kidding me?

I see no problem with closing one's eyes while everyone is safely sleeping. I do have ears- I can hear what is going on away from me 10 feet away. I was NOT sleeping or napping, I was resting. I set an alarm a few minutes out incase I accidentally did fall asleep. You aren't saying anything to any of the other providers on this thread who admit to accidentally dozing off now and then. I don't think I have ever dozed off, but I have closed my eyes and allowed myself a short meditation/relaxation break, with an alarm and safeguards in the event that I did accidentally doze off. Which again, I will state that I did not intend on doing, and dod not do.

You are a very intelligent woman based on your many posts, but you tend to come off extremely judgmental and over-opinionated about some things. I see nothing wrong with closing your eyes for a few minutes without the intention of sleeping. Geeze, keep it real.
bgmeyers 07:42 AM 05-11-2012
I've only fallen asleep once. All the littles were sleeping except the two month old. He was super tired and just couldn't settle himself, so i put him on my chest in the recliner. We both dozed off and I woke with a huge start about half an hour later. That two month old is now 12 yo and one of my favorite kids in the world. I think we bonded for life that day.
My usual routine is to open all the windows at nap, put on the kettle for a fresh carafe of coffee and clean.
Kiki 08:02 AM 05-11-2012
I wrote that I "never intended on sleeping" and that I "did NOT fall asleep." I was not laying down to take a nap. I laid down on the FLOOR at the top of the stairs (probably the most uncomfortable place ever) and closed my eyes for a few minutes. Are you telling me that I should be reported for closing my eyes and relaxing for a few minutes while everyone else was asleep!?! I was making the point that I had safeguards in place in the event that I did ACCIDENTALLY fall asleep, which I reiterate to you again, that I did not. Your response is extremely judgmental and over the top , considering all I did was close my eyes and NOT sleep. You dont know my family's financial situation, or anything about my daycare or home. If I could take a day off I would. If I didn't have to work so many hours I would not. If I could drop a kid or two I would. I cannot do those things. I am not putting anyone's children in danger at all, in any way whatsoever. Are you kidding me?

I see no problem with closing one's eyes while everyone is safely sleeping. I do have ears- I can hear what is going on away from me 10 feet away. I was NOT sleeping or napping, I was resting. I set an alarm a few minutes out incase I accidentally did fall asleep. You aren't saying anything to any of the other providers on this thread who admit to accidentally dozing off now and then. I don't think I have ever dozed off, but I have closed my eyes and allowed myself a short meditation/relaxation break, with an alarm and safeguards in the event that I did accidentally doze off. Which again, I will state that I did not intend on doing, and dod not do.

You are a very intelligent woman based on your many posts, but you tend to come off extremely judgmental and over-opinionated about some things. I see nothing wrong with closing your eyes for a few minutes without the intention of sleeping. Geeze, keep it real.
I'm kind of with her on this. (BlackCat that is.) You had no idea then, nor do you EVER, if you are going to fall asleep or not when you lie down and close your eyes 'just for a few minutes'.
Those few minutes could turn into an hour of deep sleep, or 15 minutes of light sleeping for all you know.
And during your little cat nap, a great tragedy for a family could happen. There are way to many 'what if' situations surrounding this for it to be even remotely OK.
My dad used to watch my oldest DD for me while I worked, he fell asleep on the couch once while she was napping. Little did he know, she was awake, out the door, and down the street playing in the common area of his condo complex. And yes, he had up all the proper gates, and safety measures to make sure she could not get out. Kids are sneaky, and when it's quiet, they are even more sneaky! And I understand you were in the hallway, so you would have felt if anyone tried to get over you, but that isn't the only thing you have to be concerned about, what if there was something in the room they could get hurt with, what like an above poster said, there was a fire, or a gas leak, ANYTHING? Like I said, there are way to many what ifs to ever make it ok to intentionally sleep, or 'rest with your eyes closed.'

If you are that tired, I strongly suggest having somebody come to help you during nap time, so you can get some rest. If you don't have anybody, try doing something that will help keep your eyes open. Fold laundry, wash dishes, do stretching, yoga, call somebody and talk on the phone. ANYTHING, just please please, don't risk it!
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 05-11-2012
I wrote that I "never intended on sleeping" and that I "did NOT fall asleep." You are right, you didn't intend on falling asleep but you said you did allow yourself to have some "deep relaxation"...so what if you DID fall asleep?!? What if a whole slew of things happened? There are way to many "what if's" that could happen. Accidents are NEVER intended....they happen even in the best of circumstances so why would you even take that risk???
I was not laying down to take a nap. I laid down on the FLOOR at the top of the stairs (probably the most uncomfortable place ever) and closed my eyes for a few minutes. Are you telling me that I should be reported for closing my eyes and relaxing for a few minutes while everyone else was asleep!?! I was making the point that I had safeguards in place in the event that I did ACCIDENTALLY fall asleep, which I reiterate to you again, that I did not.
Yes, as a parent I would report you for lying down on the job. Which I clearly stated as I feel you are being paid to watch the children at ALL times and lying down for "deep relaxation" is not watching the kids at ALL times. What if you fell asleep, which can easily happen as other posters have said? Again, what if, what if what if? I still CANNOT justify taking that risk with other people's children present. Sorry.

Your response is extremely judgmental and over the top , considering all I did was close my eyes and NOT sleep. You dont know my family's financial situation, or anything about my daycare or home. If I could take a day off I would. If I didn't have to work so many hours I would not. If I could drop a kid or two I would. I cannot do those things. I am not putting anyone's children in danger at all, in any way whatsoever. Are you kidding me?
No, I am NOT kidding you! Your family's financial situation as well as your pregnancy and lack of sleep are merely excuses to justify not being 100% FULLY alert while watching someone else's child. I also disagree that lying down and having "deep relaxation" is not putting someone else's child at risk because I believe it is. Again, what if?

I see no problem with closing one's eyes while everyone is safely sleeping. I do have ears- I can hear what is going on away from me 10 feet away. I was NOT sleeping or napping, I was resting. I set an alarm a few minutes out incase I accidentally did fall asleep. You aren't saying anything to any of the other providers on this thread who admit to accidentally dozing off now and then. The other providers who said they accidentally dozed off were doing something NOT intentially lying down. So no, I didn't say anything to them. I also didn't see them making excuses for their actions which again is why I didnt quote them. Still not safe but by the tone of their posts and the words they used, it was clear that it wasn't normal practice as they "accidentally" dozed off....which is the point I am making to you...what if you DID accidentally dozed off?

I don't think I have ever dozed off, but I have closed my eyes and allowed myself a short meditation/relaxation break, with an alarm and safeguards in the event that I did accidentally doze off. Which again, I will state that I did not intend on doing, and dod not do.

Again, accidents are NEVER intentally which is why I firmly and adamantly believe that it is our duty and responsibilty to do what ever it takes to make sure that we do EVERYTHING in our power to safeguard these children. So my feelings still stand. Lying down with the intentions to deeply relax are NOT doing everything possible because it opens up the door to way too many things that COULD happen and God forbid should something ever happen in my care......I can say with my head held high that at least I wasn't dozing, resting, napping, relaxing deeply or whatever you want to call it. I am fully awake, alert and doing what ever activites I need to do while I am watching someone else's child.
Thank you for the compliment but I AM keeping it real. Like I said, UNLESS every single one of your parents is fully aware and agrees with this type of practice, as well as CPS, I still find it absolutely NOT ok. I will continue to be judgmental and over-opinionated when it comes to the care and safety of children.

(I also responded in red above) FWIW~ You stated "in case I did accidentally fall asleep.....which to me says even YOU know it COULD happen. I simply refuse to take that risk.
daycare 08:18 AM 05-11-2012
Sorry unregistered, i have to agree with cat on this..

I know you said you did not have intentions to fall asleep, but then why are you setting yourself up to? Don't ever set yourself up to fail in any situation. You always need to be be prepared for the worst and expect the best.

I feel bad for you that you are not feeling well, so if this is the case, then maybe you should consider a few things, like:

1. hiring as asst.
2. cutting back on family cost
3. cutting back on your number of kids or hours

I hope that there is something that you can do that will set you and these kids up for success. Don't get yourself into a situation that could end your career and hurt the rest of your family. I know that they are called accidents, but when you are playing with fire, you are really asking to get burned.
Unregistered 08:26 AM 05-11-2012
Anyway....

The only reason I shared that with you is because this thread was about dozing off, and I wanted to answer the poster honestly.

I guarantee you that 1. There are people on this forum who intentionally nap during daycare hours, and 2. There are tons of providers who lay down on the couch with their feet up, or sit and rest in a recliner. I do neither of these things, but thats besides the point.

I just had the guts to speak up and be honest about it, for the benefit of the original poster who had a question. Im not trying to start a debate, I'm just trying to be honest.

I have never slept on the job and never well. I have never accidentally slept either, or dozed off. I rarely ever close my eyes, and did yesterday to relax because my body needed it.

I think the point I am trying to make is that if you think you may be in a situation where you might accidentally doze off (rocking a baby to sleep, for example), have safeguards in place and set an alarm to go off every 15 minutes.
Childminder 08:34 AM 05-11-2012
I sleep every night with children in care. Parents know this and text me when they are 5 minutes out to wake me. I am open extended hours though for those that need late hour care.

The other day though I did fall asleep during nap time while sitting up reading a book. Ooops! Woke up when I heard a noise which was a car pulling into the drive. My DH was here and awake though, does that count for neglect? He is my assistant.

IMO, OP as long as it is not a habit you can stop beating your self up. Poop happens and the children were not in a dangerous situation. Has anyone ever slept while their own children are sleeping?

I know this is a volatile subject just as co-sleeping is so we'll just have to agree to disagree. May be that you are better able to care for the children if you had a rest.
wdmmom 08:43 AM 05-11-2012
There's been a few times where I've had to lay down. One because of a back injury another because of a migraine. I have gone into another room to rest/relax and left the kids in the toy room under the supervision of my staff assistant. There are cameras throughout the home so I could see at all times what was going on.

This job entails long hours, stressful situations, etc. While some of us can do it everyday, I'm sure others can not.

I don't think Blackcat tried to offend you in terms of your financial situation but she is right. If this is too much for you, perhaps you need to change the way you are living and lighten up the work load. You said you couldn't, however it sounds more like you don't want to.

Being pregnant already means your body is needing more rest. Make sure you are giving it to yourself at NIGHT and OFF HOURS. Not while other people's children are in your home. One small mishap could cost yo
u everything. And I think we can agree when I say you closing your eyes or dozing for less than 15 minutes is worth you losing everything!

If you're tired during nap and really struggling to stay awake, how about walking the stairs, doing laundry, or calling up a friend to chat. That's what I do.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I sleep every night with children in care. Parents know this and text me when they are 5 minutes out to wake me. I am open extended hours though for those that need late hour care.

BIG difference. You said the DCP's are all FULLY aware of this as I assume licensing and/or CPS/DHS too as you offer extended care hours.

The other day though I did fall asleep during nap time while sitting up reading a book. Ooops! Woke up when I heard a noise which was a car pulling into the drive. My DH was here and awake though, does that count for neglect? He is my assistant.

Again, you had another adult present who was fully awake.

IMO, OP as long as it is not a habit you can stop beating your self up. Poop happens and the children were not in a dangerous situation. Has anyone ever slept while their own children are sleeping?

What you do with your own children is absolutely NOT the point, I was referring to what we do with other people's children. Again, big difference.

I know this is a volatile subject just as co-sleeping is so we'll just have to agree to disagree. May be that you are better able to care for the children if you had a rest.
Childminder, I have no issue with what people do on the job, as long as their governing bodies (licensing, CPS, DHS, parents or who ever sets the standards of care in their areas) are ALL AWARE and on board with it.
What I do have a problem with is doing things that you aren't suppose to do or don't have permission to do.

IMHO, had the previous poster who asked me if I was kidding was confident it was alright to nap, rest or relax, I don't think she would have logged out and posted anomymously....by doing that, it gave the impression, she wanted to hide her identity in case someone found out and was not too happy about it....kwim?
Kristina 08:51 AM 05-11-2012
It's in our licensing handbook (Oklahoma) that we must be awake if we have children in our care. Even if it is after hours or extended care.

Unfortunately, accidents can and do happen, and in order to prevent them we need to be fully alert and awake. I would not be surprised if my DCF's let me go if I were to fall asleep while I was watching their kids, nap time or not.

In order to remain awake during nap, I clean the kitchen, do my Zumba, or get PM activities ready. IMO, there is never a good reason to fall asleep while you have kids in your care. I understand that you're pregnant, but maybe adjusting your schedule, or the amount of kids in care, or something else would help.
Country Kids 08:55 AM 05-11-2012
I think this is a situation where we need to agree to disagree because I see this one turning into an "ugly" post.

I have struggled for years with extreme tiredness during the afternoon. There times that yes I took a nap with the kids because no matter what I did I needed that sleep. There was a period of time all my kids would be done by 1:00 and I would go lay down for 4-6 hours! Then I would be back to bed in a few hours for the night. Slept entire weekends away also!

Went to doctor after doctor and had tests done out the yingyang. Nothing could be found wrong yet the doctors new there was something wrong just couldn't figure it out. One doctor helped me with some samples of meds till I could get the prescription filled. The medication did wonders for me. I had never felt so alive before and full of energy. Sadly, my insurance wouldn't pay for it because I didn't have the right sleep disorder that it was used mainly for and we couldn't afford the $600.00 a month medication.

I have periods of extreme tiredness but fight it with a vengence and when its been a bad day I tend to just really relax and sleep more early in the evening. I still sometimes sleep alot on the weekends.

Just was talking a provider today that naps with her kids everyday. She is also one that needs alot of sleep and feels comfortable doing it.

Like I said earlier though, lets let this one die before people start getting hurt feelings and it turns really ugly.

Lets all have a day!
My3cents 10:43 AM 05-11-2012
If this was any other job, this would not be an issue- you would be fired.

I feel that you should be alert and awake. I do feel taking a break is fine, but the eyes and ears should be open and alert. Other people are paying you to watch their children, it different, these kid's are not yours. They are paying you for a service.

Night care I suspect is much different- the parents have to expect that the care giver needs to sleep at some point, or find someone that does third shift care and is awake.

To the prego lady- hire a volunteer to come in and relieve you- if you go to church ask for a volunteer to help you out for just that time each day, maybe even a couple of them that could rotate- and let your parents know this is happening. Having a volunteer come in and just help you at this time sounds like a great idea in general and esp after you have the baby- you can keep your daycare open with help after the baby is born and have some time to bond and enjoy also-

Black Cat is not trying to jump on you here- she has the kids safety at heart and center front- shouldn't that be the way it is? It is just not safe Kind of like the person that drives and text---- it only takes a second for something freaky to happen and lose control of the vehicle, I don't care how good your digits are!!! Safety issue just don't do it. I stand corrected Blackcat is jumping on you and rightfully so- take her advice. I guess what I was trying to say is that she does it from a place of love for all concerned- You wouldn't be able to live with yourself if something happened and it was because of your negligence. Freaky things happen!

best-
Country Kids 11:07 AM 05-11-2012
I have to say though in other jobs you would have breaks and lunchtime. I worked outside the home with 2 of my pregnancy's. During lunchtime I would always eat quickly and then laydown for 1/2 an hour or so. One of my employers actually had reclining lawnchairs in the employee areas (break areas) where you could rest, read, sleep what ever you wanted.

So to say you would be fired isn't actually true!
Childminder 11:41 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by :
I have to say though in other jobs you would have breaks and lunchtime. I worked outside the home with 2 of my pregnancy's. During lunchtime I would always eat quickly and then lay down for 1/2 an hour or so. One of my employers actually had reclining lawn chairs in the employee areas (break areas) where you could rest, read, sleep what ever you wanted.

And your day way probably 8 hours with an hour of break for the time period. How many of you work 12 hour days?

BTW, I don't think blackcat was wrong necessarily in what she said just in the way it was said, seemed very critical and condescending in tone. I'm sure that was just me though reading it that way.
cheerfuldom 11:43 AM 05-11-2012
I have mixed feelings. I do think a provider should be alert and available at all times. But I have also been where the unregistered is, pregnant/exhausted/overworked. Have a ever fallen asleep while the kids where napping? Yes, i will admit that I have. Its very, very rare but I am not perfect. It was nothing intentional but it did happen. And I am being honest in saying this. I hope that for her own sake, the unregistered is able to figure out a way to cut back if need be to make sure that she doesnt ever accidentally fall asleep. I think we should all be able to post our experiences but it is hard to disagree while still being respectful. Like on one hand, other jobs are required to give clear breaks and if we providers had this, some of us may not have been in the situation where we would even feel the need to rest or sleep during work hours but on the other, we all need to see the job for what it is (possibly working the full day with no breaks) and plan accordingly. Thats why even though I have a small group, I have a college age girl come in once or twice a week to give me a break. Shes here for 2.5 hours each time, $20 each time and even though it is at least $80 a month, it is necessary to help lighten my load a bit and keep me and all my kids from the consequences of me getting overworked and exhausted.
Country Kids 11:45 AM 05-11-2012
And your day way probably 8 hours with an hour of break for the time period. How many of you work 12 hour days?

BTW, I don't think blackcat was wrong necessarily in what she said just in the way it was said, seemed very critical and condescending in tone. I'm sure that was just me though reading it that way.
No this was a place that did 12 hour shifts! That is why they had is so employees could rest when they had breaks and such.

Another place I worked was retail so I was on my feet the entire time I worked. We also had a great break area with couches and chairs so I woudl just laydown there and rest up.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 05-11-2012
You are very right. I did NOT mean to come off as critical and condescending to the unregistered poster. I just read her post as full of excuses where the other posters didn't make any excuses for their actions and seemed to know that their behavior was not ok and even dangerous.

I am normally a VERY level headed person who can keep calm in almost every situation however, when it comes to the safety of children I get very agitated and worked up about it. Especially because there are so many sad stories out there where a provider makes a small mistake with the best intentions and it gives every daycare out there a bad name.

We strive to be respected, appreciated, recognized and honored for the work we do in this field yet seem to want all the perks and benefits of being a stay at home parent and I just don't see a way we can have both of those things at the same time.

Anyways, I never ever meant to make the unregistered posted feel as though I was being holier-than-thou as she must be a pretty caring person in the first place to even be in this area of work. I am normally a poster who goes out of my way to stick up for and defend unregistered posters so I do feel badly if I made the unregistered in this thread feel jumped on or berated and do apologize if I came across that way. It is hard not to be emotional about things we feel strongly about.
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 05-11-2012
To the unregistered poster who I quoted:

I apologize for the harshness of my response to you. I did not IN ANY WAY aim to make you feel as though I was being critical or condescending of you.

I could have made my point in a much nicer way than I did. I apologize for the tone but not the message itself.

I apologize for not offering solutions instead of being so critical. I also apologize for not offering you some support for your situation.

Please accept my apology as I really do hope you are able to find some sort of resolution for your situation and I really and truly hope you are able to see that I was merely trying to help you understand that I don't ever want to see a fellow provider have to deal with tragic circumstances that could have been prevented.

I wish you the best.
momofsix 12:26 PM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
To the unregistered poster who I quoted:

I apologize for the harshness of my response to you. I did not IN ANY WAY aim to make you feel as though I was being critical or condescending of you.

I could have made my point in a much nicer way than I did. I apologize for the tone but not the message itself.

I apologize for not offering solutions instead of being so critical. I also apologize for not offering you some support for your situation.

Please accept my apology as I really do hope you are able to find some sort of resolution for your situation and I really and truly hope you are able to see that I was merely trying to help you understand that I don't ever want to see a fellow provider have to deal with tragic circumstances that could have been prevented.

I wish you the best.
Now THIS is what a true apology looks like. Beautifully worded Blackcat.
Unregistered 12:36 PM 05-11-2012
Thanks Blackcat- I know your words are coming from a good place and a good heart. I tend to take things too personally normally, and the hormones don't help either.

I need help, but I do feel very stuck. I had a friend come over this afternoon to watch the kids (all parents are on board with this) so I could have a little break and get some things done. I am trading her that help for watching her kids when I am not full. It's something. I wish anything I could drop one or two kids, but I am a strict budgeter as it is and until DH's job situation improves I just have to suck it up. I have already cut everything there is to. It, Dave Ramsey style. I told DH that if things don't improve by the end of the year we are going to have to sell our home and move somewhere much smaller and cheaper. Other than cutting my food budget again, I don't know where else to pinch pennies. All appliances are unplugged when not in use, we only use heat and air if it's within the mandated temp requirements for safety, we don't vacation, I coupon even. We were fine until DH's job cut his incentives in half, which caused us to lose about 1500 a month in income. Story of everyone's life in this economy!
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 05-11-2012
Thanks Blackcat- I know your words are coming from a good place and a good heart. I tend to take things too personally normally, and the hormones don't help either.

I need help, but I do feel very stuck. I had a friend come over this afternoon to watch the kids (all parents are on board with this) so I could have a little break and get some things done. I am trading her that help for watching her kids when I am not full. It's something. I wish anything I could drop one or two kids, but I am a strict budgeter as it is and until DH's job situation improves I just have to suck it up. I have already cut everything there is to. It, Dave Ramsey style. I told DH that if things don't improve by the end of the year we are going to have to sell our home and move somewhere much smaller and cheaper. Other than cutting my food budget again, I don't know where else to pinch pennies. All appliances are unplugged when not in use, we only use heat and air if it's within the mandated temp requirements for safety, we don't vacation, I coupon even. We were fine until DH's job cut his incentives in half, which caused us to lose about 1500 a month in income. Story of everyone's life in this economy!
I am so happy you were able to get someone to come in. I am hoping things work out for you and your DH as far as finances go and I am glad you have someone who is willing to help you out with daycare.

Wishing you the best of luck with this pregnancy and please post any time you are feeling like you need a break and want to vent. We are all her to be supportive...even if our emotions hide that.
My3cents 12:06 PM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I have to say though in other jobs you would have breaks and lunchtime. I worked outside the home with 2 of my pregnancy's. During lunchtime I would always eat quickly and then laydown for 1/2 an hour or so. One of my employers actually had reclining lawnchairs in the employee areas (break areas) where you could rest, read, sleep what ever you wanted.

If you were sleeping while working a job you would be fired. Daycare field breaks are different then breaks at a MC'D's for example job. You get your break when the kids are sleeping but you still have to be alert, eyes open, ears on, it comes with the territory of childcare. IF you have someone to cover you and you want to go and take a rest- have at it. If you don't, then you should not be sleeping during working hours. Too many things can happen. Blackcat was right on and should not apologize for her tone. It is a serious matter. She got the point across. I read her heart to be in the right place the first time around just as mine is-

With that said. I do understand how the OP feels and how we all have felt at one time or another. Have a plan in place is my advice, have back up help.

When your an uno provider, your it, break time goes into play differently then if you have coverage or can shut the operation down.

Safety first!!!
Tags:napping providers
Reply Up