Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lunch Questions....
Christina72684 09:14 AM 02-28-2014
What do they kids do while you're fixing lunch?

How long do you let them sit there and eat?

Do you make them all wait at the table or do they leave when they're done eating? If they leave, what do they do?

What do you do right after lunch?
NeedaVaca 09:19 AM 02-28-2014
They usually color while I make lunch (takes about 10 minutes)

I have good eaters and they are usually done in 20 minutes or so.

They all sit together and get down together to clean up.

We read stories/sing songs, then straight to nap
CraftyMom 09:28 AM 02-28-2014
They read books or make puzzles

Takes about 15-20 minutes to eat, they get up when they're done after being wiped down with a baby wipe(they sit until I wash them up). They put their plates in the sink

Then straight to their mat for nap, when everyone is done I read a story while they're laying down

And as with any meal once they leave the table they are done eating, no coming back and forth eating. You get up you're done
Cat Herder 09:39 AM 02-28-2014
Q. What do the kids do while you're fixing lunch?

A. I cook before they arrive. They are usually cleaning up their toys while watching me get everything into serving dishes. Obviously this changes with the ages of the group.

Q. How long do you let them sit there and eat?

A. Until they stop eating, usually 20 minutes.

Q. Do you make them all wait at the table or do they leave when they're done eating? If they leave, what do they do?

A. They get down from the table, go potty, wash their hands and lay down on the mats for a story time before nap. Again, changes with age of group. When there are more <2's we have 30 minutes of active circle time to help prevent naptime BM's. With more >3's the circle time winds them back up and it takes longer to settle them down.

Q. What do you do right after lunch?

A. See above.
daycarediva 09:39 AM 02-28-2014
They dance while I prep lunch, it keeps them within my line of sight and the ONLY thing that works. I have an old ipod filled with childrens music, and a docking station with speakers.

We eat family style, so they line up, choose what they want and then everyone sits down to eat. Our mealtimes are 30 minutes (I have some slow pokes and kids who will finish every last bit of food left---even veggies).

Then they ask to be excused, one at a time go use the restroom (or diaper changes), brush their teeth and sit on the carpet with their book of choice.

Once everyone is finished, we move into the nap room, they grab a mat, their bedding and lay down. I read all the books, and they are typically out before the last book is read.
NoMoreJuice! 09:44 AM 02-28-2014
What do the kids do while you're fixing lunch?

11:15, Sit at the tables and color, or play with our alphabet puzzles.

From the time I serve(11:30), the first one is usually done in about 15 minutes, the rest are about at 3 minute intervals after that. As I sit here watching them, I see my fastest is taking her time today, so probably about 20 minutes.

Do you make them all wait at the table or do they leave when they're done eating? If they leave, what do they do?

They must ask to be excused (yeah, I'm that strict) individually when they're done eating. The potty trained kids (2.5 and up) are excused to use the restroom and wash hands, and the kids in diapers I will change, then wash their hands in the sink for them.

Nap! We nap from about 12:15 to 2:15.
e.j. 09:44 AM 02-28-2014
What do they kids do while you're fixing lunch?It depends on their behavior. If they're playing nicely, I let them play while I make lunch. I can see/hear them so I can supervise while I cook. If they're fighting, whiny, acting up....they sit at the kitchen table and look at books, do puzzles or color.

As long as it takes, within reason. Some kids eat more/slower than others. I try to let them get their fill but will cut them off if it's getting too late.

I allow them to play quietly in the day care room once they're done.

Usually, we play outside for a bit until nap time. If we were able to get outside earlier, I put them down for a nap right after lunch. Depends on the day and it depends on how tired most of the kids are.
snbauser 10:11 AM 02-28-2014
What do they kids do while you're fixing lunch? Depends on the day. If my assistant is here (2 mornings/week) they are playing outside. If I'm by myself we come in and they play while I fix lunch. Only rules are they have to be where they can see me and it can't be anything with a lot of pieces like blocks or messy like paint/glue/etc.

How long do you let them sit there and eat? Depends. I strictly run preschool/prek. In our schools they get 20 min to eat lunch. I start out our school year at 30 min and slowly reduce it so that by the end of the school year we are at 20.

Do you make them all wait at the table or do they leave when they're done eating? If they leave, what do they do? They get up, dump their plates and put them in the bin. Either potty and wash up or just wash up. Then they can choose one of the quiet centers - books, puzzles, or art center with markers/crayons/pencils only

What do you do right after lunch? After they are all done pottying and washing up and I have finished cleaning up from lunch, I get the room ready for naps. When I am ready they get a choice of "cots or carpet". We do our second circle time (calendar/weather/shape/letter/etc) as part of our transition to quiet time since FCCERS says we "have to give them a choice to participate or not". So by treating it as a transition I can give them the choice of sitting on the carpet for circle time or going and getting their blankets and books and going to their cots. Most of the time they all choose carpet.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:18 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Play with limited choices. We've just come in from outside, so the house is tidied up already. They may look at books or play with something on the table or rug in the family room (adjacent to kitchen where I am). Sometimes someone joins me to help prep, or to set the tables.

Originally Posted by :
As long as it takes.

Originally Posted by :
They leave when they're finished. They clear dishes to the dishwasher, wipe face/hands w/their individual washcloth, go potty (or I change their diaper), wash hands, brush teeth. Then they may look at books until nap time.

Originally Posted by :
I eat with kids, then help with diapers/transitions, then tidy up the kitchen while they gather what they need for nap (books, stuffies, pacifier, etc). Then we read a book or a few (depending on what time it is when we finish) and start nap.
coolconfidentme 10:44 AM 02-28-2014
I know how a zoo animal feels now. Mine all stand & stare at me over the gate like I'm going to throw them a scrap or two.
They are all done in about 15-20 minutes.
Mine all wait at their tables while I clear/clean. We sing songs to pass the time.
They pile on a blanket & I read a story to them. It's off to nap after that.
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 02-28-2014
They are looking at books

I allow 45 minutes to eat. I don't set a timer but I do enforce the time rule
Part of my job is to prepare the kids for school and in school, they have very little time to eat lunch so I try to help them understand and be used to that here.

When my kids are done, they clear their own items from the table. Each child is done when they are done and no one is required to sit and wait while others finish. Our routine after lunch is toileting and rest time so anyone done earlier than the rest goes to the bathroom, chooses a mat and pillow and lays down. They are not allowed to go play.

Sit down with my DH and eat our lunch together.
WImom 12:46 PM 02-28-2014

Mine up until today watched a preschool show or read books in book corner (they could choose) but this group I have now just can not handle that. So I took out the TV and starting Monday they will sit at the table and color or do puzzles.

Taking out the TV was for dramatic effect since that means no more Paw Patrol and they will be mad come Monday....LOL

I allow 30 minutes.

Do you make them all wait at the table or do they leave when they're done eating? If they leave, what do they do?They ask to be excused and then they either go to their mats or go potty. Once everyone has gone potty I read a story. They have quiet bins on their mats to keep them busy while clean up from lunch.

clean and hope everyone sleeps!
spinnymarie 07:08 PM 02-28-2014
They do calendar while I make lunch usually, which is mainly some youtube videos that we sing and dance along with. 'We eat for up to 30 minutes, but usually less. They can get up when they are done, take their dishes to the sink, go potty and wash hands and read books until everyone is ready for naps and I've cleaned up. Naps are right after lunch
renodeb 03:45 PM 03-02-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
What do they kids do while you're fixing lunch? If its something that takes a bit of prep I try and get things together while there napping in the morning. We are usually outside from 11-11:30 and then in for lunch.

How long do you let them sit there and eat? Usually 15-30 minutes depending on how many kids I have anf what we are having.

Do you make them all wait at the table or do they leave when they're done eating? If they leave, what do they do? They all get up and down at the same time.

Sometimes I turn on seasme st. Its basically nap time soon after lunch so not much time left to do much.

That's funny coolconfidentme, mine do the same thing at my gate. Its a pitiful site!
Second Home 04:50 PM 03-02-2014
It depends on the child , some I trust to stay in the playroom , some sit on a blanket and play in the family room where I have a better view.

Until they are done , usually no longer than 30 minutes

Again it depends on the child , all ask to be excused . Some clean their place themselves , wash their hands then go to the bathroom . Others wait for me to help them clean up and bathroom / change their diapers

Nap time
melskids 03:14 AM 03-03-2014

I put them to work. They help with the prep, set the table, etc. If they're not helping me, then they are usually sitting at the table. Not because I make them, they just see me getting lunch ready and are usually anxious to eat.

Until they are finished.

They leave as they are finished. They clean up their place, wash their hands, and typically grab a book and sit and read.

Brush teeth, they help me set up the nap mats, we read a few stories, and they rest for a bit. Some sleep and some don't.
Play Care 05:42 AM 03-03-2014
Like another poster it depends. If it's just me and they are playing nicely, I allow them to continue playing. If they are not, they are at the table with an activity. When my assistant is here they are usually outside playing.

How long do you let them sit there and eat? I have fast eaters and we are done with lunch in about 15 minutes

Do you make them all wait at the table or do they leave when they're done eating? If they leave, what do they do? They get down one at a time for bathroom, hand washing. Then they are allowed to look at a book until it's time to go upstairs to the nap room. Of course, if they are not looking at books quietly in the family room (attached to the kitchen) it's at the table until nap.

What do you do right after lunch? I sit outside the nap room for a few minutes to make sure they are settling down. Then it's time to eat.
Tags:lunch, lunch schedule, lunch time
Reply Up