Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lending Library for dcfs
Josiegirl 04:08 AM 04-29-2015
This was mentioned in the Bev Bos play video. How would you do one? Would you limit the # of books? Write down who took what books? Or would you let it be a free-for-all, hoping the books all come back?
Just curious as I would love to do this!
Blackcat31 05:32 AM 04-29-2015
My daycare participates in a "mobile" lending library.

It comes all summer (12 weeks) every Tuesday afternoon at 1:00

The woman who runs it is an ex-Kindergarten teacher. She brings 2 teen helpers.

They read a story to the kids and then do an art project afterwards that coordinates with the story.

When the kids are done with the story/project they go into the mobile library and choose a few books to borrow. When they have found what books they want, Miss G gives them a bag and they bring the books home

They return them the following Tuesday and we do it all over again.

As far as a "lending library" for daycare parents, I have a small resource of books that I allow parents to "borrow". I keep a list of the who borrowed what and when. I don't have a time line as to when they need to return them but if it gets to be more than a month I will send a reminder that others may be waiting.

Most the books I have are my own personal collection of early childhood and parent resources. Books on sleep, healthy eating, the importance of play, families etc. I also have books about things like "Traveling with small children" or "Gardening with your kids".

Most of what I have I've just collected over the years. When I get something new, I add it to my master list.

Lately I've been contemplating compiling an e-library of the same types of books. I haven't ironed out the details but its been something I've been piecing together in the back of my mind for a while now.
bklsmum 06:30 AM 04-29-2015
I buy tons of books at yard sales and CL cheap and I rotate out a lot in my DC library. I have many that are staples so they always stay in the DC library but a lot of them go into the lending library and then I keep a notebook on top of it so they can write down what they take and when and I haven't had a problem with returns yet. If I did I would send a reminder. I make sure I don't put anything special or needed for a lesson in there just in case.
Thriftylady 06:32 AM 04-29-2015
I have a hard time getting my parents to return a silly piece of paper, no way are they getting my books.
Unregistered 09:31 AM 04-29-2015
I do a lending library and limit it to 2 books but they can keep it as long as they need. When the books are returned they can borrow again. I have a sign out sheet where I note the date book was borrowed, book title, book returned, and parents must initial. I haven't had a problem yet. My dcp have actually donated books too
Josiegirl 10:21 AM 04-29-2015
Do many parents take out the books? Do you offer only parent books or kids' books too?
Josiegirl 10:24 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I buy tons of books at yard sales and CL cheap and I rotate out a lot in my DC library. I have many that are staples so they always stay in the DC library but a lot of them go into the lending library and then I keep a notebook on top of it so they can write down what they take and when and I haven't had a problem with returns yet. If I did I would send a reminder. I make sure I don't put anything special or needed for a lesson in there just in case.
Yes, that's what I was thinking too. I have lots of books I've accumulated and some really nice ones, so would enjoy sharing them. And the dcks have favs they might like to take home> Parents, sometimes, feel they shouldn't borrow things when their child asks but it'd be cool for them to be able to bring home books.
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:45 AM 04-29-2015
I tried the lending library, and it lasted 2 months. It was a disaster. The kids would take F O R E V E R (don't set it out on a Friday!)to pick out which ones to take home, fight over or cry about who took what, a few never came back and a few were badly damaged. I had timeframe/replacement/respect rules all spelled out, but it didn't work for me. I tried different tactics, but none of it worked, and after 2 months I couldn't handle it anymore. I would love to hear others have success with this and how they pulled it off!

I've had a "sharing bag" for 12 years, but retired it last year because of very much the same issues. Does anyone do that?
originalkat 11:00 AM 04-29-2015
I have thought about setting up a Book Buddy Bag with a book, little stuffed animal to go along, and maybe a literacy activity. The kids could check out one at a time and bring it back a week later. Someday I will do this, but I have not had the time or money to set it up yet.
I think a lending library COULD work, but it could also be a mess and a hassle too. You would have to keep track or you would never get your books back.
KIDZRMYBIZ 03:25 PM 04-29-2015
I just want to add that my feelings on this kind of goes in line with the "Pony Party" thread. While I was adding more work for myself setting up and maintaining the lending library, it dawned on me that the DCMs and DCDs should be taking their young child to the ACTUAL LIBRARY, learn what it's all about, and enjoy that wonderful resource together, you know, as a family!
Unregistered 03:38 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Do many parents take out the books? Do you offer only parent books or kids' books too?
Every month I put out children's books that pertain to the topics we are learning about for the month. I have two children book shelves that these books go in and the children can choose from these books. I find it helps the families talk to their children about what they are learning here. Some times there are books that the children love to read over and over, so it's great to have them take the book home for their parents to read with them. I don't offer parent books.

It depends on the topics and the interest of the children how many books go home because they are the ones choosing the books. I also do Scholastic reading club orders so parents buy books that are similar or sometimes the same book that their child is interested in.

I don't do any extra work with my lending library because the books are already out and the sign out sheet is in the same binder with my attendance sign in sheet.
crazydaycarelady 07:52 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by :
I have a hard time getting my parents to return a silly piece of paper, no way are they getting my books.
ITA! It is just one more thing to remember, for me and the parents, and I think we would all rather just not. Plus I have seen how the kids treat my books if I let them, laying them on the floor and walking on them.
Leigh 10:11 AM 04-30-2015
My lending library is all parenting books. I really don't care if they come back, I just want them to read them! It's pretty rare, though, that they take one.
Reply Up