Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfeeding/Don't Slam Me lol
lovemykidstoo 05:34 PM 12-20-2018
I know I will just get killed over this, so please try to be kind. I'm truly trying to understand my thoughts.

I have a 16 month old dcg. She was breast fed exclusively (no food, no formula) until about 10 months old. For the past 3 months she has not had any breastmilk here. She's on whole milk and is doing very well. Not sure if it matters but she's about 30 pounds at 16 months old. Mom came today and picked her up. The little girl started banging her fists together which mom says means more in sign language? She does not say any words at all. Sounds, but not words. I said what does she want more of and she said she wants to breastfeed. I said oh I thought you werent' anymore. She said I am, just not pumping, but straight up breastfeeding, she won't drink milk or water at our house. I was surprised because I thought she said that when she stopped sending it here that she was done with it.

I have zero idea why this little girl basically asking to be breastfed bothered me. Honestly I don't know and again please no negative comments. I didn't breastfeed. My kids are extremely healthy, never had more than 1 ear infection each etc. What is the recommendation on when a child reaches the age where the extreme benefits equal out?

Thanks for reading!
Ariana 05:46 PM 12-20-2018
I am not sure why there would be negative comments!

This exact same thing is happening here with a girl the same age. She refused all breast milk and whole milk here so mom breastfeeds her at home. It does not interfere with the daycare so I don’t care. I think breastmilk is way better than whole cows milk so I do encourage mom to breastfeed her. I also see it as a connection and comfort thing they do with their mom when they get home. This little girls also starts crying for her soother as soon as mom comes in the door, yet she spends 9.5 hours without it when with me!
lovemykidstoo 06:51 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I am not sure why there would be negative comments!

This exact same thing is happening here with a girl the same age. She refused all breast milk and whole milk here so mom breastfeeds her at home. It does not interfere with the daycare so I don’t care. I think breastmilk is way better than whole cows milk so I do encourage mom to breastfeed her. I also see it as a connection and comfort thing they do with their mom when they get home. This little girls also starts crying for her soother as soon as mom comes in the door, yet she spends 9.5 hours without it when with me!
I'm sure it is a comfort thing for sure. Especially since she's here 7:30 to 4:30, 5 days a week. Mom gets home at 5:30, dcg is in bed at 7:00, so really mom sees her less than 2 hours a day. I don't know, it's just something about her asking to be breastfed that just made it different for me and I just don't know why.
hwichlaz 07:16 PM 12-20-2018
The WHO recommends a min of 2 years, and for as long after as is mutually beneficial.

The AAP recommends a MINIMUM of 1 year, then then for as long after as is mutually beneficial.

She's still a baby that needs milk. much better to be from mama than a cow, since she's not a calf.

The cow's milk is just a substitute for mother's milk for human children.
sharlan 07:20 PM 12-20-2018
I think it's a comfort thing.
284878 07:58 PM 12-20-2018
I nursed my DD until 17 months. I fed her in the morning and evening during the last month, she drank water mainly and some milk during the day. She talked but she would ask to be fed by smacking my chest. How ever I stopped nursing because she was done, I had already passed my goal of a year, so I was okay with ending. I will nurse DS until he wants to stop too.

As for ear infections my DD had none. I was told that bf babies get sick less than formula fed.

babies that are around smoke have a higher risk of getting ear infections. My nephew got them alot and my sister smoked around him. The only dck that got ear infections was an infant that had parents that smoked.
Cat Herder 05:50 AM 12-21-2018
I ran into a friend I had not seen in years and invited her over for coffee and a visit. She arrived a couple hours late and brought her 5 year old son, too. I scrambled to find some brunch additions since the boy was hungry and asking for lunch. I put out a vegetable and cheese tray that was intended for later and the kid happily chomped on raw broccoli, carrots and squash. When he was done, he asked for more milk. I got up to pour him some more but my friend dropped the front of her shirt right there at the table, instead.

I could not speak, I did not see that coming. I knew people did extended breastfeeding, I had just never been exposed to it. My milk supply always ended pretty naturally around 6-8 months.

Two years is the recommended time, one year the most common, I just have no idea how some women are physically able to.
boy_mom 09:14 AM 12-21-2018
I had two DCMs nurse until their children were 3 years old. While not my preference (to be totally honest I did think it was odd!) I didnt let it bother my. The whole different strokes for different folks thing!

Both kids were walking, talking, eating and drinking independently and securely attached to parents but able to socialize and enjoy their time at daycare. I think it was comforting and bonding for mom and kids. Again, not my cup of tea but each family is unqiue!
Rockgirl 09:20 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I ran into a friend I had not seen in years and invited her over for coffee and a visit. She arrived a couple hours late and brought her 5 year old son, too. I scrambled to find some brunch additions since the boy was hungry and asking for lunch. I put out a vegetable and cheese tray that was intended for later and the kid happily chomped on raw broccoli, carrots and squash. When he was done, he asked for more milk. I got up to pour him some more but my friend dropped the front of her shirt right there at the table, instead.

I could not speak, I did not see that coming. I knew people did extended breastfeeding, I had just never been exposed to it. My milk supply always ended pretty naturally around 6-8 months.

Two years is the recommended time, one year the most common, I just have no idea how some women are physically able to.
I’m sitting here looking at my 5 year old dcb. I just can’t imagine.
littlefriends 09:40 AM 12-21-2018
I have a dcb 4 years who still breastfeeds at home. They all cosleep as well. It’s mom dad dcb 4 and sister 7 all sleeping in same bed and he nurses throughout the night.
Ac114 09:57 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
The WHO recommends a min of 2 years, and for as long after as is mutually beneficial.

The AAP recommends a MINIMUM of 1 year, then then for as long after as is mutually beneficial.

She's still a baby that needs milk. much better to be from mama than a cow, since she's not a calf.

This! I’m still nursing my 17 month old. She lets me know by smacking my chest or saying te te. I plan to let her self wean but will more than likely be done by 2 if she is still going strong. She has no desire to stop.
lovemykidstoo 10:03 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

OMG, I don't care what anyone says, that is disturbing
Cat Herder 10:11 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
OMG, I don't care what anyone says, that is disturbing
I wish I could say that was the most unusual part of the visit, but it was not. It did not improve in comfort level from there. We turned out to be very different people during our years apart.

The kid is a 17-year-old honor student, basketball player and eagle scout set to graduate this year, so it seemed to work for them.
Josiegirl 10:13 AM 12-21-2018
I'm sure it is a comfort thing for sure. Especially since she's here 7:30 to 4:30, 5 days a week. Mom gets home at 5:30, dcg is in bed at 7:00, so really mom sees her less than 2 hours a day. I don't know, it's just something about her asking to be breastfed that just made it different for me and I just don't know why.
The twin dcgs that I had, were like this, up until about 2 yos. And it didn't bother me, except dcm used to plop herself and the girls right down on the sofa here, at 4:45, even though I'd been feeding them all day. Honestly, they couldn't wait the 5 minute drive? I just wanted to be done, as in take your kiddos and go home PLEASE. She finally started just picking them up and saying no to them. Then they started asking to nurse me.
Ac114 10:18 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
The twin dcgs that I had, were like this, up until about 2 yos. And it didn't bother me, except dcm used to plop herself and the girls right down on the sofa here, at 4:45, even though I'd been feeding them all day. Honestly, they couldn't wait the 5 minute drive? I just wanted to be done, as in take your kiddos and go home PLEASE. She finally started just picking them up and saying no to them. Then they started asking to nurse me.
Yea that would annoy me. That’s just rude to prolong pickup so she could nurse.
Lovisa 10:19 AM 12-21-2018

THIS!!!!

My youngest daughter nursed until a month before her 3rd bday. She quit on her own, in her own time. By that point she was down to once a day right before bed. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with extended breastfeeding. And for me personally, I loved when she cold finally ask for her "Nah nah". Took the guess work out of it lol!
Homebody 10:26 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
THIS!!!!

My youngest daughter nursed until a month before her 3rd bday. She quit on her own, in her own time. By that point she was down to once a day right before bed. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with extended breastfeeding. And for me personally, I loved when she cold finally ask for her "Nah nah". Took the guess work out of it lol!
This was my daughter too! I nursed my son until he was 22 months. I hadn't planned on nursing my daughter until she was almost 3. I thought maybe until around 2 years like my son, but it didnt happen that way. The final year was just a couple times a day, in the morning and before bed, and maybe just for a minute. I think it was more of a comfort thing for her.
gumdrops 12:12 PM 12-21-2018
I have an almost 2 yr old DCG who stills nurses at home. That doesn't bother me, but the fact that DCM encourages her to call it "boobie" does. DCM will bribe her to get her coat on faster by saying "Do you want boobie?" She also sticks her hand in DCM's shirt to touch her "boobie" and she doesn't stop her.
lovemykidstoo 12:31 PM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
I have an almost 2 yr old DCG who stills nurses at home. That doesn't bother me, but the fact that DCM encourages her to call it "boobie" does. DCM will bribe her to get her coat on faster by saying "Do you want boobie?" She also sticks her hand in DCM's shirt to touch her "boobie" and she doesn't stop her.
See that bugs me on so many levels. I'm sure I'm wrong, but is she really receiving any different nutritional level at that age or is it strictly comfort? If just comfort, is there no other way to have that closeness?
littlefriends 02:14 PM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
O. M. G.
hwichlaz 02:54 PM 12-21-2018
See that bugs me on so many levels. I'm sure I'm wrong, but is she really receiving any different nutritional level at that age or is it strictly comfort? If just comfort, is there no other way to have that closeness?
Nutritionally, it's ALWAYS better than cow's milk.

Children don't need milk of any kind, biologically, after age 4.
happymom 03:12 PM 12-21-2018

This!

I BF both my kids well into their 3rd year. My oldest stopped nursing when I became pregnant with little brother, he was a week away from his 3rd birthday.

It is GOOD for baby and GOOD for mom for as long as they are both wanting it.

She is normalizing it by being open and honest about their breastfeeding relationship.
Ariana 06:08 PM 12-21-2018

Absolutely! I breastfed my own kids until 20 months (self weaned) and 2 years (I weaned) and after that they got rice, almond or coconut milk. Even now my kids do not drink cow milk or eat dairy in any form. They get maybe a cup of coconut almond milk at breakfast but thats it. They are doing fine.
Annalee 03:37 PM 12-22-2018
I think there are moms who bf for a long time for the nutritional value but I also have seen moms that make me go

Once I had a mom who would share stories of the dcg3 chasing her around the house and that dcm finally just remains in the floor every evening so dcg3 can nurse, go play, nurse and go play. I think this mom had a wierd fixation especially when her kindy son decided to nurse too and she let him.
lovemykidstoo 07:09 PM 12-22-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I think there are moms who bf for a long time for the nutritional value but I also have seen moms that make me go

Once I had a mom who would share stories of the dcg3 chasing her around the house and that dcm finally just remains in the floor every evening so dcg3 can nurse, go play, nurse and go play. I think this mom had a wierd fixation especially when her kindy son decided to nurse too and she let him.
Oh Lord that gave me the shivers
Josiegirl 02:48 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:

Is it because dcm couldn't say no(gee, we don't know anybody like that) or was the child still bf at 3 yo? The twins I had that still breastfed at 3 yo; dcm just had an all around hard time telling her kids no. As if saying no to your children will create more problems than constantly letting them have their way.

Now see, I wonder if that kindy kid will grow up remembering that and look at his mom, going eww. Or some other strange reaction, KWIM? Can you imagine the conversation around family dinner tables when teenage boy invites a gf over for dinner and that topic is brought up?
lovemykidstoo 06:47 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Is it because dcm couldn't say no(gee, we don't know anybody like that) or was the child still bf at 3 yo? The twins I had that still breastfed at 3 yo; dcm just had an all around hard time telling her kids no. As if saying no to your children will create more problems than constantly letting them have their way.

Now see, I wonder if that kindy kid will grow up remembering that and look at his mom, going eww. Or some other strange reaction, KWIM? Can you imagine the conversation around family dinner tables when teenage boy invites a gf over for dinner and that topic is brought up? :confused:
I think I've dated a couple of guys with residual effects of this hahahahahaha! I'm kidding but I know what you mean lol

I get that it's beneficial for baby, but when they're older, eat a regular diet and drink regular milk the entire day but that 1 time has to breastfeed and asks for it, I just don't understand. I didn't breastfeed and I was able to bond and comfort my 2 kids many other ways. My kids were just as healthy growing up as any other child. Like I mentioned 1 ear infection each their entire life. I definitely understand the younger babes bfing, but when they walk up and ask for it, it makes me cringe. Call me weird
Tags:breastfeeding
Reply Up