Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Enrollment Fee
SilverSabre25 08:32 AM 07-06-2011
Is this a good idea?

I'm thinking of charging new clients a nonrefundable $25 enrollment fee to secure their spot and cover some one-time charges associated with enrolling a new child--including the cost of printing up all the paperwork and the handbook, the cost to buy the child their own blanket to keep here at daycare, the cost of the keychains I provide to each parent with my contact information, etc.

I'm afraid of driving people away...but I'm also really tired of flaky clients and I'm hoping that this might help encourage the flaky ones who aren't intending on their child staying here for long to look elsewhere.
nannyde 08:36 AM 07-06-2011
60 dollars

It use it to pay for the interview time and the website. It is non refundable.
daycare 08:39 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Is this a good idea?

I'm thinking of charging new clients a nonrefundable $25 enrollment fee to secure their spot and cover some one-time charges associated with enrolling a new child--including the cost of printing up all the paperwork and the handbook, the cost to buy the child their own blanket to keep here at daycare, the cost of the keychains I provide to each parent with my contact information, etc.

I'm afraid of driving people away...but I'm also really tired of flaky clients and I'm hoping that this might help encourage the flaky ones who aren't intending on their child staying here for long to look elsewhere.
I dont charge the parents anything to enroll even though there is a lot that goes into it. I have thought about it, but parents almost pass out when I tell them have to not only pay for the first week up front, but they also have to pay a two week deopsit for each child.

I don't see anything wrong with it and if you feel that is what it will take to cover the cost then try it and see.
however, be ready for parents to ask if you can email the papers so they can print themself (this is what I ask them to do)
also I ask them to bring their own sleeping blanket to keep here..I am sure that the parents will ask this too so that they can avoid paying the fees.
SilverSabre25 08:45 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont charge the parents anything to enroll even though there is a lot that goes into it. I have thought about it, but parents almost pass out when I tell them have to not only pay for the first week up front, but they also have to pay a two week deopsit for each child.

I don't see anything wrong with it and if you feel that is what it will take to cover the cost then try it and see.
however, be ready for parents to ask if you can email the papers so they can print themself (this is what I ask them to do)
also I ask them to bring their own sleeping blanket to keep here..I am sure that the parents will ask this too so that they can avoid paying the fees.
You bring up some good points. I don't ask for a deposit, so this would be the only thing they'd be asked to pay in addition to normal weekly rates. I'm not going to allow them to print papers at home...I tried to let a couple sets of parents do that and I never got the paperwork (partly my fault for not chasing them down on it...).

I'm not sure I'm going to detail what the enrollment fee actually covers...I might spin it just as "to secure your spot, I require a non-refundable $25 fee"
daycare 08:48 AM 07-06-2011
Nannyde had a great point on hers and she charges $60.00.
nannyde 09:47 AM 07-06-2011
Nannyde had a great point on hers and she charges $60.00.
I do about five hours of interviewing so it pays me a little to go thru the process. There's also the cost of the website and the pre interview contact. Sixty bucks is REALLY fair.
daycare 10:04 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I do about five hours of interviewing so it pays me a little to go thru the process. There's also the cost of the website and the pre interview contact. Sixty bucks is REALLY fair.
if you think about it and break it down that way, yes I feel that it is fair. I personally don't do that much interviewing, perhpas why I get parents I should have never taken.

Nanny you should do an article on how to properly interview....Unless you already have and I missed it!!
SilverSabre25 10:15 AM 07-06-2011
if you think about it and break it down that way, yes I feel that it is fair. I personally don't do that much interviewing, perhpas why I get parents I should have never taken.

Nanny you should do an article on how to properly interview....Unless you already have and I missed it!!
ditto! Although I don't think I could ever pull off the same three interview structure that you manage, nanny, but I totally suck at interviewing. I have always sucked at interviews for out of the house jobs, too.
daycare 10:23 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
ditto! Although I don't think I could ever pull off the same three interview structure that you manage, nanny, but I totally suck at interviewing. I have always sucked at interviews for out of the house jobs, too.
Im back and forth.... There are times I think I say too much and times I feel like i did not say enough. It's hard, because you not only have to get all the information out you need to get a feel for the parents and sometimes that is where I go wrong.
Maddy'sMommy 10:48 AM 07-06-2011
I don't charge and enrollment fee, but I do charge $100 deposit, due when they sign the contract. It's non-refundable, but I apply it to their last week of care.

I use it for supplies, food, new toys. Whatever I may need.
Sugar Magnolia 11:45 AM 07-06-2011
I charge a $175 supply fee annually, but I also have a $100 enrollment fee. BUT this enrollment fee is at my discretion. If its a family I am kinda on the fence about (seem flaky, seem unreliable, seem like they could disappear) I charge it. If its a family I really really want to sign, I say this: "we do have a $100 enrollment fee, but we are running a special right now. If you sign up before (month)_____ 30th, I will waive the enrollment fee." I collect the fee about 50 % of the time. But the supply fee is non negotiable here.
wdmmom 11:59 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I charge a $175 supply fee annually, but I also have a $100 enrollment fee. BUT this enrollment fee is at my discretion. If its a family I am kinda on the fence about (seem flaky, seem unreliable, seem like they could disappear) I charge it. If its a family I really really want to sign, I say this: "we do have a $100 enrollment fee, but we are running a special right now. If you sign up before (month)_____ 30th, I will waive the enrollment fee." I collect the fee about 50 % of the time. But the supply fee is non negotiable here.
How do you itemize the "supply fee" to the parents? What do they get for that money?
Cat Herder 12:37 PM 07-06-2011
She did.

It is called "The art of the interview."

There are two parts.
nannyde 12:49 PM 07-06-2011
I want my kid to go to Shugs Day Care.

Got an opening?
momma2girls 02:17 PM 07-06-2011
I charge one week per month to hold a spot. If it is under one month, it is a $50.00 holding fee, this is nonrefundable, and only it to hold the spot here.
Sugar Magnolia 02:46 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
How do you itemize the "supply fee" to the parents? What do they get for that money?
Paper towels, paper plates, paper cups, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, nap mats, baby wipes, soap, first aid supplies, art supplies, craft materials, paper, curriculum materials, new educational supplies, new toys, and printing supplies like toner and paper. "Items that contribute to the cleanliness and safety of the facility and the health and well being of all children".
wdmmom 03:16 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Paper towels, paper plates, paper cups, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, nap mats, baby wipes, soap, first aid supplies, art supplies, craft materials, paper, curriculum materials, new educational supplies, new toys, and printing supplies like toner and paper. "Items that contribute to the cleanliness and safety of the facility and the health and well being of all children".
Love, love, love it! I might just consider adapting something similar! Thank you!!!
Tags:contract - yearly, deposit agreement, enrollment, fee, nannyde
Reply Up