Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting Policy????
hope 03:58 PM 03-31-2014
I have a dcg that is 15 months old. I had to talk with her mom today bc dcg has been hitting. I explained that children at this age tend to play rough bc they are unaware how they are touching with an open hand. Dcg ' s hitting has been occurring more and more out of anger and frustration. So I asked that we both work on having her use her words more positive reinforcement for good behavior and telling dcg "No".
Dcm responds by telling me that dcg bite her last night for telling her no. She said both her and Dcd have been bite in the past too. Now I'm afraid that she will bite one of the other kids.
How do i handle this? I have been keeping her at my side all day but she still manages to push or hit at times right in front of me. What kind of policy do you gals have for biting?
daycare 04:07 PM 03-31-2014
I have a zero tolerance for biting. 1 time they go home. Ever happens again they are gone.

Since the biting has not happened at your home, I would just continue to work on the no hitting. i would be talking to the DCP and letting them know how you are working with the chld and get them to do the same. I would also try to be as proactive as possible and see how you can stop her before she hits.....
hope 04:16 PM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a zero tolerance for biting. 1 time they go home. Ever happens again they are gone.

Since the biting has not happened at your home, I would just continue to work on the no hitting. i would be talking to the DCP and letting them know how you are working with the chld and get them to do the same. I would also try to be as proactive as possible and see how you can stop her before she hits.....
Thanks for the advice. I want to tell dcm my policy on biting. I'm not sure if I should have a zero tolerance and if so I should warn her. If I give a warning for first time, how do you deal with the victims parents? I can't imagine the other parents reaction.
Heidi 04:16 PM 03-31-2014
I have no biting policy. I've had biters that young, and I firmly believe that it is undesirable but unfortunately, normal. Toddlers lead with their mouth sometimes; it's the same to THEM as their hands. It is not the same to us, and certainly not OK, but it is common.

That said, I shadow, separate, give alternatives (biting toy on pacifier string..."bite this, not that"), teach simple signs (frustration over not being able to communicate is a big factor). My own child, if they bit ME, I would most definately pop on the mouth and say NO, NO BITE!", but that's not on the table for dck's.

My now 30 mo dcb bit for about 4-6 weeks last summer. With the above strategies, he eventually quit. I must say, he bit one particular child each time; a boy a year older and a lot bigger, who was a "body checker".

If it's an older child, I would treat it like any other behavioral issue. I don't need a "policy" to term a child who is causing problems, so I don't see the point in separating biting from other term-worthy situations.

Here is some info from Birth-Three Perhaps there is something you can print out for ALL you parents regarding biting. Remember, you cannot name the "biter" or the "bitee" to each other's families, although in my case, because of the ages of the kids, everyone new (a 4 month old can't bite other kids). http://www.zerotothree.org/child-dev...on-biting.html
TwinKristi 04:37 PM 03-31-2014
I dunno... She's just a baby! I would work on separating her when she hits to prevent the next step of biting. Maybe a PNP? Gated area? 15 mos is just connecting cause & effect. I would remind parents that if this moves on to biting that you will do what necessary to prevent injury to other kids just as you would to her baby. Turn the tables of how they'd feel if she was bit? Just gotta keep trying. My DS was a biter and obviously you can't term your own kid so I kept him by my side as much as I could and didn't leave him alone for any period of time. Once they learn to talk it's usually much easier!
TwinKristi 04:40 PM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I have no biting policy. I've had biters that young, and I firmly believe that it is undesirable but unfortunately, normal. Toddlers lead with their mouth sometimes; it's the same to THEM as their hands. It is not the same to us, and certainly not OK, but it is common.

That said, I shadow, separate, give alternatives (biting toy on pacifier string..."bite this, not that"), teach simple signs (frustration over not being able to communicate is a big factor). My own child, if they bit ME, I would most definately pop on the mouth and say NO, NO BITE!", but that's not on the table for dck's.

My now 30 mo dcb bit for about 4-6 weeks last summer. With the above strategies, he eventually quit. I must say, he bit one particular child each time; a boy a year older and a lot bigger, who was a "body checker".

If it's an older child, I would treat it like any other behavioral issue. I don't need a "policy" to term a child who is causing problems, so I don't see the point in separating biting from other term-worthy situations.

Here is some info from Birth-Three Perhaps there is something you can print out for ALL you parents regarding biting. Remember, you cannot name the "biter" or the "bitee" to each other's families, although in my case, because of the ages of the kids, everyone new (a 4 month old can't bite other kids). http://www.zerotothree.org/child-dev...on-biting.html
This is the same thing my DS did. The other DCB was bigger and while he's more of a gentle giant, he can use his size in his favor and my DS used what he could!
hope 04:42 PM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I dunno... She's just a baby! I would work on separating her when she hits to prevent the next step of biting. Maybe a PNP? Gated area? 15 mos is just connecting cause & effect. I would remind parents that if this moves on to biting that you will do what necessary to prevent injury to other kids just as you would to her baby. Turn the tables of how they'd feel if she was bit? Just gotta keep trying. My DS was a biter and obviously you can't term your own kid so I kept him by my side as much as I could and didn't leave him alone for any period of time. Once they learn to talk it's usually much easier!
Good idea! I'm not looking to term so this is a great approach. Thanks!
daycare 05:23 PM 03-31-2014
This is the same thing my DS did. The other DCB was bigger and while he's more of a gentle giant, he can use his size in his favor and my DS used what he could!
check with your state regs about the PNP for separation. In my state of CA PNP can only be used for sleeping purposes, we can not put children in them for any other reason.

I do well with the zero tolerance biting policy because at the time of interview this is one my of questions that I ask and discuss. So if the parents admit to it, I tell them to contact me after they have it under control. I have 12 kids daily so I don't have time to deal with that type of behavior that could cause me to lose my other clients.

If they don't admit to it I allow it to only happen one time. It happens again I term...
TwinKristi 05:35 PM 03-31-2014
check with your state regs about the PNP for separation. In my state of CA PNP can only be used for sleeping purposes, we can not put children in them for any other reason.

I do well with the zero tolerance biting policy because at the time of interview this is one my of questions that I ask and discuss. So if the parents admit to it, I tell them to contact me after they have it under control. I have 12 kids daily so I don't have time to deal with that type of behavior that could cause me to lose my other clients.

If they don't admit to it I allow it to only happen one time. It happens again I term...
You also have a preschool type environment where biting is not acceptable. A newly 1yr old is much different than a 3-4-5 yr old. If this was. 3+ yr old I think everyone's response would different as far as prevention and expectations.
daycare 06:33 PM 03-31-2014
You also have a preschool type environment where biting is not acceptable. A newly 1yr old is much different than a 3-4-5 yr old. If this was. 3+ yr old I think everyone's response would different as far as prevention and expectations.
I have 16-18 month olds too, but I still enforce this policy. I can see that it is not for everyone and that is ok.

the thing that I was trying to point out most of all was the use of the PNP....I would check with your LIC before doing what you suggested, you can't do that in CA
Heidi 06:57 PM 03-31-2014
I have 16-18 month olds too, but I still enforce this policy. I can see that it is not for everyone and that is ok.

the thing that I was trying to point out most of all was the use of the PNP....I would check with your LIC before doing what you suggested, you can't do that in CA
Yeah....I understand the premise of the regulation (I can see the pnp's lined up with kiddos while the dcp's watch Oprah...(lol...Oprah), but once again, the regulation is written to prevent crap providers (who'd do it anyway) from using it out of laziness or to punish, and then the good ones have no real tools to use. No pnps, no timeouts, just roses and sunshine...while the children run amock...
Tags:biting policy
Reply Up