Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Caught on Sisters IPad
Unregistered 05:08 AM 11-04-2015
http://abc13.com/news/video-day-care...y-arm/1067226/

This was on the news this morning, my jaw dropped when I saw what happened
daycarediva 05:26 AM 11-04-2015
She should be charged with endangering the welfare of a child and lose her license and ability to ever work with children. Absolutely no excuses.

Here's what else I noticed about the video- Mom is on daycare assistance. Mom has a mac (they start at 2,000). Her 8yo has an ipad (600) Mom's nails are done (60ish). That would pay for a LOT of daycare.
nannyde 05:40 AM 11-04-2015
This provider obviously needs training. She needs to learn she has to balance the kids weight against her core and how to get the baby to her core.

I don't see this as abuse... just bad judgment and possibly a lack of training in caring for infants.

I'm not seeing her quickly lifting or jerking the kid. It looks lazy to me as she has a bottle in her free hand.

I've seen this before with center workers. Training and explaining solves it.

Now the mom authorizing the kid to tape the provider.... that's a whole nutter kettle o fish. She had no right to do that.

Providers understand when you allow recording devices in your home, especially with school agers, you... your family.... your daycare kids will be taped and it will go on the internet.
MyAngels 06:24 AM 11-04-2015
I think Nannyde is right on this one

The average person realizes this is no way to handle a precious baby, but maybe not everyone knows that.

If this were in Illinois the mother who authorized her child to create that illegal recording could potentially face charges since Illinois requires consent of both parties before recordings are made.
spud912 07:26 AM 11-04-2015
For some reason it's not posting the video on the link and I can't find it on any other news anchor . Maybe it was removed?
MyAngels 07:45 AM 11-04-2015
They probably erred on the side of caution and removed it since it's possible that this recording was made illegally.
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:53 AM 11-04-2015
I agree with NannyDe as well. It didn't look mean or abusive, but it did look lazy and a bad choice. And it didn't look like she had the baby secured in the swing either on that other clip, which is also potentially dangerous. She could use a training on infant safety for sure. Although now, her business and reputation is surely destroyed.

Being recorded on the sly? That would be a whole 'nother issue. Small snippets of recordings can be taken way out of context as well.

You can view the video by using the "video" tab at the top, then type "spring day care" exactly like that in the search.
spud912 10:02 AM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I agree with NannyDe as well. It didn't look mean or abusive, but it did look lazy and a bad choice. And it didn't look like she had the baby secured in the swing either on that other clip, which is also potentially dangerous. She could use a training on infant safety for sure. Although now, her business and reputation is surely destroyed.

Being recorded on the sly? That would be a whole 'nother issue. Small snippets of recordings can be taken way out of context as well.

You can view the video by using the "video" tab at the top, then type "spring day care" exactly like that in the search.
Thanks.....I got it to work. I was honestly expecting worse from the wording in the article. I agree with Nannyde in that she needs some education.
renodeb 10:04 AM 11-04-2015
I did not see a video but theirs no excuse for that. Shes a childcare provider but she doesn't know how to properly hold a baby? Come on! What is wrong with all these home day cares?
mommyneedsadayoff 10:58 AM 11-04-2015
I didn't see the video either. I read that mom said her older daughter said the baby was being mistreated, so rather than speak to the dcp or pull her child, she tels her daughter to secretly video it and keep sending them there? I know some kids can exagerate or fabricate, but if my son, who is 6, said his little sister was being mistreated, I wouldn't be sending either back and I would express my concerns tot he dcp. You can tell a lot about a person in how they respond to accusations of abuse or mistreatment. I would never send them back, though, and rely on my kid recording behavior. Not too mention that secretly recording someone int eir own home is not cool, but in reality, you are letting your kid be put in possible harms way. What if the dcp was really hurting the child and that baby suffered an arm dislocation or worse? Would mom be held to any liability for knowingly putting her child in an unsafe place and for not contacting authorities after being told by her daughter that something was wrong? This whole story seems kind of messed up to me and by some of the comments on the article, it looks like the witch hunt is on for the provider and once again, the parent will take no responsibility for any of it.

(For the record, I agree that grabbing a child by the arm can do serious damage, so I am not condoning the dcp's actions. I just think the mom's way of protecting her child from further potential harm is also wrong.)
MarinaVanessa 11:18 AM 11-04-2015
In CA the video wouldn't be admissible in court as proof if criminal charges were attempted towards the provider. We are a two-party consent state when it comes to that type of stuff. Had she done it in her own home then that's different but because it was in the providers home then unfortunately I doubt it could be used against her.

That being said if the mom called to make a report to CPS and licensing then they can still view the video and hold her accountable. She could face the possibility of losing her license for good and having her home hit with a restraining order against children (besides her own kids and family of course) depending on how her state works. I haven't seen the video so I can't comment on the severity of it though.
NoMoreJuice! 11:59 AM 11-04-2015
I saw the video. It was a very inappropriate way to pick up the baby, but I don't see any criminal mistreatment. How many other ways was she being "mean" to the baby though? The sister seemed to think it happened quite often. Maybe the provider was having some burnout issues, maybe she was just lazy, but no amount of training can make up for common sense. You just don't pick up a baby by one arm.

On the subject of the provider's privacy being breached, I do feel bad for her. We all make mistakes occasionally, and I would hate for one of my mistakes to be recorded.
spud912 12:49 PM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I saw the video. It was a very inappropriate way to pick up the baby, but I don't see any criminal mistreatment. How many other ways was she being "mean" to the baby though? The sister seemed to think it happened quite often. Maybe the provider was having some burnout issues, maybe she was just lazy, but no amount of training can make up for common sense. You just don't pick up a baby by one arm.

On the subject of the provider's privacy being breached, I do feel bad for her. We all make mistakes occasionally, and I would hate for one of my mistakes to be recorded.
On second thought, I agree that no amount of training can teach common sense. I don't think she had intent to hurt the child as the article made it seem, but she definitely did not care properly for the baby.
Unregistered 11:32 PM 11-04-2015
I thought it was horrible! Yes, if she's dealing with an infant that way what else is she doing? I say it's abusive. Can you imagine what that felt like for that infant? Anyone picking a child up that way should not be doing childcare. Ugh!

She's putting her in danger! Danger of dislocating her shoulder, or dropping her. It was disgusting!
KGYUsadHw 12:32 AM 11-05-2015
Many people realizes no way to handle a casesam.co.uk baby. Yeah, that's right.
nannyde 06:44 AM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I thought it was horrible! Yes, if she's dealing with an infant that way what else is she doing? I say it's abusive. Can you imagine what that felt like for that infant? Anyone picking a child up that way should not be doing childcare. Ugh!

She's putting her in danger! Danger of dislocating her shoulder, or dropping her. It was disgusting!
You are right, it is dangerous BUT it wasn't abuse.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
In CA the video wouldn't be admissible in court as proof if criminal charges were attempted towards the provider. We are a two-party consent state when it comes to that type of stuff. Had she done it in her own home then that's different but because it was in the providers home then unfortunately I doubt it could be used against her.

That being said if the mom called to make a report to CPS and licensing then they can still view the video and hold her accountable. She could face the possibility of losing her license for good and having her home hit with a restraining order against children (besides her own kids and family of course) depending on how her state works. I haven't seen the video so I can't comment on the severity of it though.
Technically, that is inaccurate. California is considered an "ALL party" state meaningALL parties involved in the taping (video or audible) must be aware or/and give permission to be recorded.

I also think the provider could use the paparazzi law too since there were children involved. From my understanding that law includes illegal image/video recording of ALL children not just those of the rich and famous. I am not positive though.

"In California, all parties to any confidential conversation must give their consent to be recorded. This applies whether the recording is done face-to-face or intercepted through some electronic communication such as a cell phone call or series of e-mail or text messages. Both civil and criminal penalties are available to victims of illegal recordings."

Hidden cameras:

The state’s disorderly conduct statute prohibits the use of “a concealed camcorder, motion picture camera, or photographic camera of any type” to secretly record a person while in a dressing room, tanning booth or while in any area where the person has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Cal. Penal Code § 647(j).

All parties to any confidential communication must give permission to be recorded, according to California’s eavesdropping law. Cal. Penal Code § 632.

(c). Additionally, California’s so-called “anti-paparazzi” law prohibits trespassing with the intent of capturing photographic images or sound recordings of people in “personal or familial activity.” Cal. Civil Code § 1708.8.

Criminal penalties:
A first offense of eavesdropping or wiretapping is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 or imprisonment for no more than one year. Cal. Penal Code §§ 631, 632.
Reply Up