Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>STARS Program?
auntymimi 11:27 AM 02-01-2016
I've been a licensed provider for about a year now. I do not have an ECE degree. The majority of the clients I serve qualify for state subsidy and I accept it.My program is primarily play based but I do have several preschoolers and have tried to offer a play based curriculum with a heavy emphasis on STEM. So far I've been piecing together a curriculum using pinterest and the public library, as well as resources from our CCR&R travel library. The lovely ladies who run the travel library had mentioned that they could get me a grant and training to provide a proper curriculum and also bump up my pay scale through the state. The catch is I would have to join the STARS program and from my understanding it would require more training and paperwork and also, I'm guessing, more state supervision ? Does anyone have experience with this? Should I go for it, or is it more trouble than it's worth?
Michael 09:32 PM 02-02-2016
Some previous threads on the Stars program: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=stars+program
Meeko 07:03 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
I've been a licensed provider for about a year now. I do not have an ECE degree. The majority of the clients I serve qualify for state subsidy and I accept it.My program is primarily play based but I do have several preschoolers and have tried to offer a play based curriculum with a heavy emphasis on STEM. So far I've been piecing together a curriculum using pinterest and the public library, as well as resources from our CCR&R travel library. The lovely ladies who run the travel library had mentioned that they could get me a grant and training to provide a proper curriculum and also bump up my pay scale through the state. The catch is I would have to join the STARS program and from my understanding it would require more training and paperwork and also, I'm guessing, more state supervision ? Does anyone have experience with this? Should I go for it, or is it more trouble than it's worth?
More trouble than it's worth.

Are your DCP's happy with the care you provide? If so...that's all that matters. It sounds like you have a good program and are constantly looking to better yourself. If you join the STARS program...you will be required to do what THEY think is best for your program. It will no longer be your own.
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 02-03-2016
I signed up for my state's stars program two years ago.

When my QRIS coach called me late last year to see if I was going to re-rate (we have to re-rate every two years) I said:

"Personally, I'd love to say no but professionally, I know I should say yes."

So I did. I am currently in the process of re-rating (its NOT at all hard in my opinion) and the only reason I am doing so is because my state has really been pushing the rating system to parents and now 95% of parents in my area search ONLY for programs that have a star rating.

It's probably the first question asked when people contact me. "Are you Parent Aware rated?" Our state star program is called Parent Aware.

I have had more calls and enlistments on my waitlist than ever in the last year or so..... with a majority of wait listers already having care but wanting to change providers because now it's the "in thing" to only use a provider that has been star rated.

Like I said to my coach... personally, I am not a huge believer in the program BUT sometimes MY opinion has zero bearing on the child care industry or the thought processes and search criteria of potential clients.
Annalee 07:30 AM 02-03-2016
I wish I had a "choice". Our state made the "choice" for us...it is in the law...maybe that is why I hate it so much!
Snowmom 08:11 AM 02-03-2016
I refuse to participate in Parent Aware and have never had any problems staying full.
I find their training atrocious. I took a couple of their classes for continuing education last year. The "instructor" was 45 minutes late, forgot half of the required content and made way too many mistakes in quoting regulations. I almost walked out.
I've had a couple families ask why I'm not rated on their website (because apparently your name is still listed as providers in the area- just not with "stars"). And I'm honest about why I won't.... they still enroll.

My location is in the suburbs and there isn't a lot of competition though. So, I can see how having an extra endorsement might serve you well.
LysesKids 08:31 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I wish I had a "choice". Our state made the "choice" for us...it is in the law...maybe that is why I hate it so much!
Yep... if you are licensed it's not an option, part of why if I switch houses I will still stay legally license exempt. I was planning on moving about an hour closer to you and found a nice little place, but I won't be doing STARS after what I researched & what I've heard from other TN providers...
Fiddlesticks 08:43 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I signed up for my state's stars program two years ago.

When my QRIS coach called me late last year to see if I was going to re-rate (we have to re-rate every two years) I said:

"Personally, I'd love to say no but professionally, I know I should say yes."

So I did. I am currently in the process of re-rating (its NOT at all hard in my opinion) and the only reason I am doing so is because my state has really been pushing the rating system to parents and now 95% of parents in my area search ONLY for programs that have a star rating.

It's probably the first question asked when people contact me. "Are you Parent Aware rated?" Our state star program is called Parent Aware.

I have had more calls and enlistments on my waitlist than ever in the last year or so..... with a majority of wait listers already having care but wanting to change providers because now it's the "in thing" to only use a provider that has been star rated.

Like I said to my coach... personally, I am not a huge believer in the program BUT sometimes MY opinion has zero bearing on the child care industry or the thought processes and search criteria of potential clients.
Yes to all of this. I joined Parent Aware as soon as it was available in my area. I started, honestly, for the money. I knew there was funding available then, but that there wouldn't always be. I worked my way up the stars so that I could maximize the money, got $1000 for the last three years in a row (after my 1 star, 2 star and 3 star rating), and now that I am working on my fourth star (after which there was never any money offered) the funding is done and no one is getting the $1000, regardless of the star rating they receive. Phew, so glad I got my third star in under the funding cut. I cannot tell you how much these $3000 have helped my program.

I am getting more calls/emails from people looking for care than I ever have, on average 3 a week, and I am full for the foreseeable future, with two children waiting to start next August when two children head off to kindergarten.

While it is voluntary now, it may not always be, so jump on board, it isn't going away. Even though I do not believe my state will make it mandatory, it is where parents are looking for care. There are providers in my suburb who never get calls looking for care, and cannot keep full, but they are the 143rd provider listed on the Parent Aware site because they "have not volunteered to be rated," so...
Annalee 08:50 AM 02-03-2016
I have only had one client enter my program in the 15 years of the QRIS stars due to my star rating. It was a nurse mom and policeman dad....they lasted 10 days....cussed me out for making them arrive and depart on time...said they only paid for services rendered and THEY would choose the services I would render....WRONG AGAIN! . I had to call licensing and get them involved. They stood by me but it was an ordeal for sure....

The only program QRIS really supports here is the providers that take certificate/subsidy paid clients. There are NO benefits for any thing else.
Annalee 09:00 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Yep... if you are licensed it's not an option, part of why if I switch houses I will still stay legally license exempt. I was planning on moving about an hour closer to you and found a nice little place, but I won't be doing STARS after what I researched & what I've heard from other TN providers...
If stars became voluntary, which it won't because the law would have to be changed, I would OPT OUT and take a big fat 0 because I dislike it that much!
Snowmom 09:35 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
Yes to all of this. I joined Parent Aware as soon as it was available in my area. I started, honestly, for the money. I knew there was funding available then, but that there wouldn't always be. I worked my way up the stars so that I could maximize the money, got $1000 for the last three years in a row (after my 1 star, 2 star and 3 star rating), and now that I am working on my fourth star (after which there was never any money offered) the funding is done and no one is getting the $1000, regardless of the star rating they receive. Phew, so glad I got my third star in under the funding cut. I cannot tell you how much these $3000 have helped my program.

I am getting more calls/emails from people looking for care than I ever have, on average 3 a week, and I am full for the foreseeable future, with two children waiting to start next August when two children head off to kindergarten.

While it is voluntary now, it may not always be, so jump on board, it isn't going away. Even though I do not believe my state will make it mandatory, it is where parents are looking for care. There are providers in my suburb who never get calls looking for care, and cannot keep full, but they are the 143rd provider listed on the Parent Aware site because they "have not volunteered to be rated," so...

I'm in the same state as you and I've stayed full the last 8 years without being on Parent Aware.
Sure, it's one avenue that parents may search, but so is DHS, Moms groups, Facebook groups, Association websites, etc.
I get multiple calls a week- usually tracked back to my local county association website. I've never had to advertise an opening since being licensed in 2008. Parent Aware had zero to do with that.
Blackcat31 09:48 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I'm in the same state as you and I've stayed full the last 8 years without being on Parent Aware.
Sure, it's one avenue that parents may search, but so is DHS, Moms groups, Facebook groups, Association websites, etc.
I get multiple calls a week- usually tracked back to my local county association website. I've never had to advertise an opening since being licensed in 2008. Parent Aware had zero to do with that.
I was in the same position (thought-wise) as you a year or so ago.

Everything you are saying is exactly what I thought.

Then for some reason, the entire attitude of parents changed. I would have bet money that it wouldn't be at all today like it actually is.
Annalee 10:01 AM 02-03-2016
There has been NO education for parents here...No one asks about it when calling centers or family child cares here. Parents do not even know what it is. Licensing is not even for the stars report card. There are so many state entities that deal with child care here creating many inconsistencies on what is expected of providers. Providers rarely get a straight answer when asking a question about the stars. Our report card is roughly a 16 x 20 large card that has to be displayed so ALL entering the daycare can see. NO ONE asks about it! I do bring attention to it during interviews but you get a blind stare like "REALLY?"....they want you to do all of that!
midaycare 10:44 AM 02-03-2016
I'm in MI. No one here knows about or cares about STARS. We get no grant money. We get paid more for state clients, but what do I care? Any state clients I have (rare here) have to pay the difference to me anyway, so... The benefit is really for the parents who are getting state help, not me. If the state pays me more, the parents have to pay me less.

The higher your STARS rating, the higher you are listed on the state's child care website.That's why I did it.

STARS is ridiculous. Now that I have a good clientele, I probably won't renew.
Blackcat31 10:53 AM 02-03-2016
There has been NO education for parents here...No one asks about it when calling centers or family child cares here. Parents do not even know what it is. Licensing is not even for the stars report card. There are so many state entities that deal with child care here creating many inconsistencies on what is expected of providers. Providers rarely get a straight answer when asking a question about the stars. Our report card is roughly a 16 x 20 large card that has to be displayed so ALL entering the daycare can see. NO ONE asks about it! I do bring attention to it during interviews but you get a blind stare like "REALLY?"....they want you to do all of that!
Our state just started really pushing the advertising to parents.

Lots of flyers, mailers and stuff posted in WIC clinics, Dr's offices, schools etc...

I don't know the reasoning behind the change but I suspect it may have to do with the union debate going on in my state too..... of course no one will say that but I think it's pretty clear.

I actually just received my voting instructions in the mail in regards to "HOW" I should submit my vote.
Annalee 11:00 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Our state just started really pushing the advertising to parents.

Lots of flyers, mailers and stuff posted in WIC clinics, Dr's offices, schools etc...

I don't know the reasoning behind the change but I suspect it may have to do with the union debate going on in my state too..... of course no one will say that but I think it's pretty clear.

I actually just received my voting instructions in the mail in regards to "HOW" I should submit my vote.
I do think parent education here would help some but it would NOT solve the issue here. The QRIS needs tweaking. By that I mean, there are providers with 0 stars that do not deserve that and there are providers with the highest 3 star that do not deserve that. It is almost like a game and if you want to play and how far you want to take it? Too much of a provider's balance that will define them for a year is left to the perception of an assessor and that is just wrong? Does that make sense?
Fiddlesticks 11:18 AM 02-03-2016
I will say, reading some of the things that other states are requiring in their QRIS makes me grateful for ours. Ours is mostly focused on curriculum, observation/assessment, training and parent resources/education. The nit-pickiness about materials, where things are stored, hand-washing routines, etc. are left up to our licenser.
Annalee 11:23 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I will say, reading some of the things that other states are requiring in their QRIS makes me grateful for ours. Ours is mostly focused on curriculum, observation/assessment, training and parent resources/education. The nit-pickiness about materials, where things are stored, hand-washing routines, etc. are left up to our licenser.
We have a report card with 5 components but all hinge on the assessment component score. No matter what your education is, curriculum is, business practice is, parent involvement is, you HAVE To score on the assessment to get ANY stars. I have always scored well and have always had the highest stars BUT I have an AS degree in Early Childhood, CDA-in Famly Child Care, etc, but my balance still hangs on my assessment score. Something is wrong with that! They need to put equal weight on each component.
auntymimi 10:12 AM 02-04-2016
Well, after speaking more about the program with my travel library ladies and all you awesome women on here, I think I'm going to go ahead and go for it. My licensor believes it's going to be mandatory anyway (as BC says it's not going anywhere) so getting in now while there are incentives to join is professionally a smart move. It also seems that my state is really more about education, training, documentation than the punitive side of things as I believe another poster said. My training hours would be free and could even be done in my own home, plus would qualify me for grants and materials. Most of the documentation they require I already do anyway and because I accept state subsidy it would raise my pay significantly. Thank you all for your input and support.
Annalee 10:29 AM 02-04-2016
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
Well, after speaking more about the program with my travel library ladies and all you awesome women on here, I think I'm going to go ahead and go for it. My licensor believes it's going to be mandatory anyway (as BC says it's not going anywhere) so getting in now while there are incentives to join is professionally a smart move. It also seems that my state is really more about education, training, documentation than the punitive side of things as I believe another poster said. My training hours would be free and could even be done in my own home, plus would qualify me for grants and materials. Most of the documentation they require I already do anyway and because I accept state subsidy it would raise my pay significantly. Thank you all for your input and support.
You are right , stars is not going away! BUT I do wish providers here had an option! My state began with over 3000 family/group providers 15 years ago. We now have a little over 700 due to them quitting when the stars was implemented. The state THOUGHT this would put children into licensed care but it didn't. Children now go to unlicensed facilities that are flying under the radar Good luck to you!
auntymimi 11:00 AM 02-04-2016
We have a report card with 5 components but all hinge on the assessment component score. No matter what your education is, curriculum is, business practice is, parent involvement is, you HAVE To score on the assessment to get ANY stars. I have always scored well and have always had the highest stars BUT I have an AS degree in Early Childhood, CDA-in Famly Child Care, etc, but my balance still hangs on my assessment score. Something is wrong with that! They need to put equal weight on each component.
This does bother me. If I were to chose to get a degree in ECE it would count towards training hours, but not ultimately? The only way to reach the highest tier in my state would to be nationally accredited and require an in home assessment regardless of education. The thing that bothers me is how can one person come out 1 time and make an accurate assessment of your program as a whole?
Also, I doubt I could ever score very well on one anyway, my kids turn into something else entirely when there are "others" in the house. I can't imagine an all day situation.
LysesKids 11:22 AM 02-04-2016
You are right , stars is not going away! BUT I do wish providers here had an option! My state began with over 3000 family/group providers 15 years ago. We now have a little over 700 due to them quitting when the stars was implemented. The state THOUGHT this would put children into licensed care but it didn't. Children now go to unlicensed facilities that are flying under the radar Good luck to you!
True, however some of us legally licensed exempt homes run like we are still licensed just without the extra paperwork... I can still be on Food program with oversight, I take Foster babes for care, again licensing has to do extensive background & I can take vouchers, but refuse too because the parents don't want to pay the difference (again background checked etc); I have never gone without CPR/First Aid in 16 years plus I take trainings on my own time to keep up with regulations even though I don't have too.

Some of us hold ourselves accountable regardless of what our peers are doing. There is only ONE, yes, one licensed home in my entire county... go next door to Knox & you find a lot... here it's all about centers or small home care
Annalee 11:27 AM 02-04-2016
True, however some of us legally licensed exempt homes run like we are still licensed just without the extra paperwork... I can still be on Food program with oversight, I take Foster babes for care, again licensing has to do extensive background & I can take vouchers, but refuse too because the parents don't want to pay the difference (again background checked etc); I have never gone without CPR/First Aid in 16 years plus I take trainings on my own time to keep up with regulations even though I don't have too.

Some of us hold ourselves accountable regardless of what our peers are doing. There is only ONE, yes, one licensed home in my entire county... go next door to Knox & you find a lot... here it's all about centers or small home care
Many unlicensed are operating in my county, some legally and some illegally. By 2017, unregistered child cares will have to be licensed or they will not be able to take certificate children. I feel we are headed where all will have to become licensed. Just my opinion! the state wants to regulate and that is the only way to do so.
LysesKids 05:58 PM 02-04-2016
Many unlicensed are operating in my county, some legally and some illegally. By 2017, unregistered child cares will have to be licensed or they will not be able to take certificate children. I feel we are headed where all will have to become licensed. Just my opinion! the state wants to regulate and that is the only way to do so.
Well you know the only reason state didn't license me was because of my buying a new single wide instead of a doublewide (or staying in a rancher full of black mold)... I normally have 3 FT without voucher kids, so no loss here; I also get paid $5 per week more per kid more than the licensed provider taking vouchers (she's 10 min from me). She's having issues getting kids right now too (2 spots of her 7 are taken by her own kids). Makes me thankful I run like I do. I had 4 FT till I termed a parent last week... A new babe starts in 2 weeks so I'm good... btw they don't register anyone anymore... it's license exempt or license only; believe me I tried 2 years ago & was told it's not an option anymore
Annalee 06:36 PM 02-04-2016
Well you know the only reason state didn't license me was because of my buying a new single wide instead of a doublewide (or staying in a rancher full of black mold)... I normally have 3 FT without voucher kids, so no loss here; I also get paid $5 per week more per kid more than the licensed provider taking vouchers (she's 10 min from me). She's having issues getting kids right now too (2 spots of her 7 are taken by her own kids). Makes me thankful I run like I do. I had 4 FT till I termed a parent last week... A new babe starts in 2 weeks so I'm good... btw they don't register anyone anymore... it's license exempt or license only; believe me I tried 2 years ago & was told it's not an option anymore
You don't have to explain it to me! I get it! I just am involved with many meetings and am sharing some of what I have learned and some of what I can see evolving over the next few years. Personally, I think the whole system needs overhauled. But that isn't going to happen!
LysesKids 05:02 AM 02-05-2016
You don't have to explain it to me! I get it! I just am involved with many meetings and am sharing some of what I have learned and some of what I can see evolving over the next few years. Personally, I think the whole system needs overhauled. But that isn't going to happen!
I totally agree that the system needs a big overhaul... here in TN one hand doesn't necessarily know what the other is doing as we both know lol
lovemykidstoo 05:22 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm in MI. No one here knows about or cares about STARS. We get no grant money. We get paid more for state clients, but what do I care? Any state clients I have (rare here) have to pay the difference to me anyway, so... The benefit is really for the parents who are getting state help, not me. If the state pays me more, the parents have to pay me less.

The higher your STARS rating, the higher you are listed on the state's child care website.That's why I did it.

STARS is ridiculous. Now that I have a good clientele, I probably won't renew.
I'm with you. I'm in Michigan too and noone knows about STARS. I have been hounded by them though to do it. I always say no thank you. Then I received an email that said they were giving anyone that did it $500. Hmmm, well in that case lol. So I filled it out and now someone is calling me on Monday to go through it piece by piece. I did not like the rating system because I really felt it was geared more towards centers even though I filled out the one for in-home. I'm licensed for 6, so I'm required to have 10 hours training, but one question said do I do at least 20 hours of training a year. Well no because it's not required, so I didn't get those points. Stuff like that needs to change.
morgan24 07:59 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I'm with you. I'm in Michigan too and noone knows about STARS. I have been hounded by them though to do it. I always say no thank you. Then I received an email that said they were giving anyone that did it $500. Hmmm, well in that case lol. So I filled it out and now someone is calling me on Monday to go through it piece by piece. I did not like the rating system because I really felt it was geared more towards centers even though I filled out the one for in-home. I'm licensed for 6, so I'm required to have 10 hours training, but one question said do I do at least 20 hours of training a year. Well no because it's not required, so I didn't get those points. Stuff like that needs to change.
I'm also in MI and I agree that most of the self assessment is geared towards centers and they need to change it. I only did it to get the money because in my area nobody cares about how many stars you have and most haven't even heard of it.
I have 2 stars and that is enough for me. They are also offering to pay for you to get your CDA and paying a $300 bonus when you complete it. I going to do that even though I don't know if I would ever use it.
lovemykidstoo 08:29 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I'm also in MI and I agree that most of the self assessment is geared towards centers and they need to change it. I only did it to get the money because in my area nobody cares about how many stars you have and most haven't even heard of it.
I have 2 stars and that is enough for me. They are also offering to pay for you to get your CDA and paying a $300 bonus when you complete it. I going to do that even though I don't know if I would ever use it.
Right now I'm at 2 stars, but they're going to call me Monday and go over it. I agree, noone even knows about it Waste of time IMO. So what is entailed in getting your CDA?
Annalee 08:43 AM 02-05-2016
Right now I'm at 2 stars, but they're going to call me Monday and go over it. I agree, noone even knows about it Waste of time IMO. So what is entailed in getting your CDA?
Also a waist of taxpayers money! Millions are spent in our state alone on QRIS! There needs to be accountability/responsibility in child care whether center or family/group, but I don't feel stars has accurately done that!
morgan24 08:59 AM 02-05-2016
There's not a lot involved in getting it. I have to write a couple of essay's, take 10 hours of training in observation which I'll be able to use for my 10 for the state anyway so that is win. 120 hours of training but I can use all my training logs from my state trainings so I don't think I'll need more. Then put together a bunch of information and she will asscess it. I'll know more later this month. They pay the $425 gave me the CDA book. I have to pay $65 but when I'm done they pay me $300 I come out ahead.
Annalee 09:03 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by morgan24:
There's not a lot involved in getting it. I have to write a couple of essay's, take 10 hours of training in observation which I'll be able to use for my 10 for the state anyway so that is win. 120 hours of training but I can use all my training logs from my state trainings so I don't think I'll need more. Then put together a bunch of information and she will asscess it. I'll know more later this month. They pay the $425 gave me the CDA book. I have to pay $65 but when I'm done they pay me $300 I come out ahead.
To get the CDA in my state, I had to complete 4 college classes, then go through an observation and testing. It wasn't hard, though and the state paid for it all.
Josiegirl 09:42 AM 02-05-2016
I've earned 3 STARS and it wasn't that bad. Then I started working towards my 4th STAR but that level requires a home assessment(that was the only thing I had left to finish) which our local mentor was certified to do. Then the state changed their minds and hired 2 'professionals' to do them. I love the mentor, she is terrific! But as soon as they hired 2 others, earning my 4th STAR has been put on hold. I have a training coming up specifically about what their assessment expects so I can't wait to take it.
It might very well change in the future but at the moment, none of the requirements have been that difficult to achieve. And the bonuses/awards have been well worth it.
And hey, everybody's doin' it!
Annalee 09:54 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I've earned 3 STARS and it wasn't that bad. Then I started working towards my 4th STAR but that level requires a home assessment(that was the only thing I had left to finish) which our local mentor was certified to do. Then the state changed their minds and hired 2 'professionals' to do them. I love the mentor, she is terrific! But as soon as they hired 2 others, earning my 4th STAR has been put on hold. I have a training coming up specifically about what their assessment expects so I can't wait to take it.
It might very well change in the future but at the moment, none of the requirements have been that difficult to achieve. And the bonuses/awards have been well worth it.
And hey, everybody's doin' it!
If licensing or mentors could do my assessments, I would be more accommodating as well...but we get what you called the "others".... people with Bachelors degrees and most of them have never worked, nor stepped foot in daycare until they were chosen for the job to be an assessor. Even in NAFCC accreditation, you are observed by an FCC provider. That is fair! Being assessed by someone that has read a book to go by is NOT fair! Too much left to interpretation/perception and my report card hangs in the balance.
Tags:stars program
Reply Up