Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>NEW Licensing rules starting 10.01.10
Abigail 04:47 PM 08-10-2010
I just attended a child care orientation today and learned a few new things. One thing I found interesting is the infant age is moving from under 24 months down to 18 months on October 1, 2010. This doesn't affect family based child care because you're limited to a certain number of children no matter what, but it affects group and centers more because they can have more infants. Another thing I found interesting was that if you're getting licensed AFTER October 1, 2010--you will no longer be required to even do a TB and all employees in child care will no longer be required to do a TB upon starting their career. I guess the $38 fees for the employees added up or something for this to take effect, but I still don't understand why they will not require it anymore. Just thought I would share this information, please add to it if you heard anything. (This might just be my county, but it didn't sound like it--was very tired at the meeting this morning!)
GretasLittleFriends 06:32 PM 08-10-2010
In the county I live in (and I assume state) we're not required to have a TB test.

Also here in Minn:
Infant - 6wks to 12mos
Toddler - 1yr to 2 yrs
Preschooler - 2 yrs to 5 yrs (or 3 months from starting school)
School Age - 5 yrs & up
MommyMuffin 05:55 AM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
In the county I live in (and I assume state) we're not required to have a TB test.

Also here in Minn:
Infant - 6wks to 12mos
Toddler - 1yr to 2 yrs
Preschooler - 2 yrs to 5 yrs (or 3 months from starting school)
School Age - 5 yrs & up
Question for you, I live in Minn and have gone to all the classes, but my question is, can I for rates purposes make infant be 6w - 18 months? I know I cant have more than 3 under 24 months and no more than 2 under 1 but does it matter how I advertise my rates:

6w - 18months infant
18 - 3 yrs toddler ect...
Thanks
jen 06:14 AM 08-11-2010
I'm from MN too...

No problem on what you call them for rates purposes, as long as you abide by the ratio for licensing purposes.

Personally, I charge the same rate until 1st grade or kindergarten if they go full day.
GretasLittleFriends 06:46 AM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
No problem on what you call them for rates purposes, as long as you abide by the ratio for licensing purposes.
Exactly!

Right now I charge one price for kids in diapers, one price for kids out of diapers but not yet in school and a third price for school age kids. In January I plan to give myself a raise and charge everyone the same rate (what i charge for diapered children). At most its an increase of $0.50 per hour per kid.
MommyMuffin 08:25 AM 08-11-2010
When doing the math and what I charge it would be better to have all one rate I just realized. Then I wouldnt have to worry about not making enough when 1 child reaches a certain age and pays less.
But my rates were going to be:
170 infant
140 toddler
130 preschool
I was thinking for everyone charge 150? Do you think for MN that someone would pay that for a preschooler?
Also, if you have one flat rate, what do you like about that?
Thanks ladies
jen 08:52 AM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
When doing the math and what I charge it would be better to have all one rate I just realized. Then I wouldnt have to worry about not making enough when 1 child reaches a certain age and pays less.
170 infant
140 toddler
130 preschool
I was thinking for everyone charge 150? Do you think for MN that someone would pay that for a preschooler?
Thanks ladies
I charge $140 with no problem at all...no free days, paid holidays, no sibling discount. There are other in my area who charge $150 and as far as I know are doing well with that.

When you are interviewing infants, you will have a huge edge when competing with those who are charging significantly more...and still coming out ahead in the long run. I've never had anyone leave when their child is older to find a lessor rate.
momma2girls 09:45 AM 08-11-2010
170 infant
140 toddler
130 preschool
Thanks ladies
I am starting one rate(which I have had now for 4yrs.) across the board. I used to give a $10.00 a week disc. for totally potty trained children. I have decided that at age 3 or whenever fully potty trained, then there are craft supplies, toilet paper, more food, snacks, and so much more-
Abigail 02:05 PM 08-11-2010
170 infant
140 toddler
130 preschool
Thanks ladies
Do you have any preschoolers right now? I think $20/week is a big increase, but if you only have one preschooler--why not raise it $10 to charge them $140 this year and advertise your $150 for anyone new? If your infant spots are still full, I don't see why you should lower them.
DCMomOf3 07:41 AM 08-12-2010
Is that a national change or just for ND? I would like to see a press release or aritcle if there is one.
MommyMuffin 08:32 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Do you have any preschoolers right now? I think $20/week is a big increase, but if you only have one preschooler--why not raise it $10 to charge them $140 this year and advertise your $150 for anyone new? If your infant spots are still full, I don't see why you should lower them.
Actually I havent started yet (NOVEMBER...**cross my fingers***) and I am going back and forth with my rates because I have to make enough to survive but I am not going into this career in the interest to make money. Just trying to find out what amount could feed my family and satisfy parents at the same time.
I think of all the things you have to do to open a daycare this has been the hardest for me.
Abigail 08:53 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
Is that a national change or just for ND? I would like to see a press release or aritcle if there is one.
I went to a child care orientation a few days ago and I know for sure it is our COUNTY--not necessarily the entire state, but it could be nationwide because the TB tests not being required were actually changed because of current daycare providers saying "Hey, we don't need this and shouldn't have to pay for it....etc."
Tags:age, infants, license, rules, tb test
Reply Up