Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Advice Needed
sharlan 01:20 PM 10-29-2013
It has been 8 years since I had a non family member tiny infant. She'll be 6 wks old. I know a lot of things have changed, opinion wise. My last infant was 4 mos and had a hard time transitioning because Mom had spent the last 4 months with her boob attached to the child 24/7.

I've already planned on buying sleep sacks instead of using receiving blankets.

I have an "infant rocker" that I am running by my analyst.

I have my superyard out and washed. My pack and play out and washed and placed in my living room. I'll keep her in the living room at all times. My other kids sleep in the playroom with the baby monitor on, but I don't want this one out of my sight.

Mom is going to try to pump and bring breast milk daily. Otherwise, no diaper bag back and forth.

Anything else I need to remember?
blessed mom 01:26 PM 10-29-2013
Maybe something to chew on or grasp? Is mom providing bottles?
BrooklynM 01:31 PM 10-29-2013
Yay a baby! You can use a swing in California! Must have in my opinion! My licensor said a swing was fine.

The only other thing I would recommend is a white noise machine. Even if it will be around noise and fairly out in the open, when she is sleeping it will allow constant noise so that it isn't startled by a screaming toddler all of the sudden.

A Boppy is a must have for me, otherwise, my arm gets uncomfortable from feeding. Also, a front pack is nice if you ever want to just put her in a front pack so she will feel close to you. I was given a Boppy and a front pack from parents that got 2 from a shower so I got lucky there!
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
It has been 8 years since I had a non family member tiny infant. She'll be 6 wks old. I know a lot of things have changed, opinion wise. My last infant was 4 mos and had a hard time transitioning because Mom had spent the last 4 months with her boob attached to the child 24/7.

I've already planned on buying sleep sacks instead of using receiving blankets.

I have my superyard out and washed. My pack and play out and washed and placed in my living room. I'll keep her in the living room at all times. My other kids sleep in the playroom with the baby monitor on, but I don't want this one out of my sight.

Mom is going to try to pump and bring breast milk daily. Otherwise, no diaper bag back and forth.

Anything else I need to remember?
I think the biggest thing when transitioning infants into care is to make sure the baby is bottle trained. That's always the hardest part for me anyways.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a swing or any other equipment.

Beside most of them being unsafe for daycare use (especially little ones that tend to drift off to sleep in them) I'd rather not have to "untrain" them after they get used to them...kwim?
Willow 01:44 PM 10-29-2013
Stash of floor blankets. Don't want your carpet soaked in urp everyday

Cubby full of quick change rompers for the same reason.
BrooklynM 02:03 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think the biggest thing when transitioning infants into care is to make sure the baby is bottle trained. That's always the hardest part for me anyways.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a swing or any other equipment.

Beside most of them being unsafe for daycare use (especially little ones that tend to drift off to sleep in them) I'd rather not have to "untrain" them after they get used to them...kwim?
I would disagree that swings are not safe, especially for 5 minutes when you need to change the others diapers. In no way are we allowed to allow them to sleep in the swing, but when you have 3 other babies under 2 years old, you are changing one, you have 2 others running around plus an infant? You need to be able to put that infant somewhere safe. You aren't supposed to put them in a pack n play if they are not sleeping, you can't put them in their carseat at all, you don't want them to get hurt by another child while you are changing another child, what do you recommend? I have one within eyesight of my changing table, but the others cannot get to it because I have a gate up, so the baby is protected.
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I would disagree that swings are not safe, especially for 5 minutes when you need to change the others diapers. In no way are we allowed to allow them to sleep in the swing, but when you have 3 other babies under 2 years old, you are changing one, you have 2 others running around plus an infant? You need to be able to put that infant somewhere safe. You aren't supposed to put them in a pack n play if they are not sleeping, you can't put them in their carseat at all, you don't want them to get hurt by another child while you are changing another child, what do you recommend? I have one within eyesight of my changing table, but the others cannot get to it because I have a gate up, so the baby is protected.
Personally? I use the floor.

I don't allow older kids to have access to infants. ever.

Infants are gated, fenced and/or blocked from older kids at ALL times.

Infants here are under 12 months. We aren't allowed to have 3 infants at one time because realistically we (general we) can't properly care for that many kids under 12 months at one time alone.

Kids 12 months to 23 months are considered toddlers and they roam freely here... but still away from infants.

I don't allow car seats to be left on site, I don't use bouncers, jumpy things, walkers, Bumbo chairs and/or swings....because as I said, I personally don't want to have to "untrain" an infant who got used to those devices as a means of entertainment or as a means to do something they aren't developmentally ready for yet.

It's just not worth the hassle for me and I don't feel any of them are meant to be used as a "safety" device for protection from others.

fwiw~ This is just how I do things. I am NOT saying anyone else has to follow suit or do the same.
blessed mom 02:26 PM 10-29-2013
I also use the floor and have one of those things that they can lay on with things dangling down for them to reach for and explore. I also separate infants from the older kids.
Heidi 04:42 PM 10-29-2013

Infants here are under 12 months. We aren't allowed to have 3 infants at one time because realistically we (general we) can't properly care for that many kids under 12 months at one time alone.

Kids 12 months to 23 months are considered toddlers and they roam freely here... but still away from infants.

I don't allow car seats to be left on site, I don't use bouncers, jumpy things, walkers, Bumbo chairs and/or swings....because as I said, I personally don't want to have to "untrain" an infant who got used to those devices as a means of entertainment or as a means to do something they aren't developmentally ready for yet.

It's just not worth the hassle for me and I don't feel any of them are meant to be used as a "safety" device for protection from others.

fwiw~ This is just how I do things. I am NOT saying anyone else has to follow suit or do the same.
You know how I feel about swings. I reluctantly hauled an old, non working one out of the garage (it only swings if you push it manually, otherwise it's sturdy) for dcb. He spends a lot of time in the swing at home (or being carried), and mom SO wanted me to buy one for here. That was my compromise...a swing that doesn't move...lol.

I always said that even though this is low to the ground, and never felt they were safe with other kids around. Today I got to snap a picture of why. My 10 month old daredevil girl crawls into the swing WITH the baby, straddling him. I got a quick picture, sent it to both moms, with the caption "bye bye swing!".

Coincidently, this was the little guy's (he's 17 weeks old) first time rolling over today, back to front. He's a sturdy 19 or 20 pounds, so I think it's going to be floor from now on.
sharlan 05:43 PM 10-29-2013
I currently don't have a swing. My last infant was too heavy for a swing when she started.

I don't have to worry about the littles getting to the newborn because I plan on having a superyard all the way around the pack and play and her floor area. The superyard will take up a major portion of my family room, but that's ok because the kids will still have the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallways, and play room to move around in.
daycare 06:08 PM 10-29-2013
I currently don't have a swing. My last infant was too heavy for a swing when she started.

I don't have to worry about the littles getting to the newborn because I plan on having a superyard all the way around the pack and play and her floor area. The superyard will take up a major portion of my family room, but that's ok because the kids will still have the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallways, and play room to move around in.
as we know cali. licensing has so many grey areas. I was told no swing. If I were you, I would call and ask about it if you plan to get one.

I personally would never allow one, I could see the older kids possibly attempting trying to give baby a friendly push.

lets see

lots of burp rags, clothing, back-up formula, bibs, something that smells like mom, and asprin for your headaches....lol jk on that last one
LoraJenkins 06:18 PM 10-29-2013
Oh, I envy you! I ADORE babies! Supplies...plenty of changes of clothing, burp cloths, 2 boppies, a front carrier, tons of swaddling blankets, more diapers & wipes than you think, bottles and extra pacifiers!!!!!!! Personally....lots of patience! I wish ALL I had were infants!!!!!
blandino 06:21 PM 10-29-2013

We use infant equipment. My first choice for them is always the floor, but when the floor won't suffice we use the equipment.

Honestly, we have two exersaucers - two swings - three bumbos - and two bouncy chairs. Now, I will say that we have 4 infants - so that is part of the reason for the number of pieces.

My question is if you have infants who are used to equipment at home, how do they do ? One of the main reasons we wind up using the equipment is because the infants are used to being held and played with constantly - which obviously we can't do. So I couldn't imagine, with my kids, not using the equipment.

Personally, I like the RIE approach - and would consider zero equipment for my own children. Is this just part of making sure the parents are on the same page as you ? So if a child needs/is used to that stimulation at home - they might not be a good fit ?!?
missheather 08:04 AM 10-30-2013

With also being a provider from Cali I would love to know what your analyst says about an infant rocker
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
We use infant equipment. My first choice for them is always the floor, but when the floor won't suffice we use the equipment.

Honestly, we have two exersaucers - two swings - three bumbos - and two bouncy chairs. Now, I will say that we have 4 infants - so that is part of the reason for the number of pieces.

My question is if you have infants who are used to equipment at home, how do they do ? One of the main reasons we wind up using the equipment is because the infants are used to being held and played with constantly - which obviously we can't do. So I couldn't imagine, with my kids, not using the equipment.

Personally, I like the RIE approach - and would consider zero equipment for my own children. Is this just part of making sure the parents are on the same page as you ? So if a child needs/is used to that stimulation at home - they might not be a good fit ?!?
Infants that are cared for differently at home don't do well here. Which is why I believe it is super important to be a good fit for the family/child you are interviewing.

I make sure that infant routines and care is gone over really really well at the time of interview. I make sure parents know BEFORE enrollment that I don't use baby equipment and that if the baby has trouble adjusting to that (if they use them at home) then I will term. I won't care for a baby in a manner that I feel puts me at risk to be liable.

It's super important that the parents agree and are on the same page.

SO yes, you are right....they simply wouldn't ne a good fit if they use swings and bouncers to entertain their baby and then expect me to care for the child a BIG chunk of the day in which that baby is awake.
KBCsMommy 09:25 AM 10-30-2013
Sharlan- Trust me when I say do not go the infant rocker route!!!!

I was approved for one only after dcm submitted drs notes and everything else. Well dcg was getting very restless in it and didn't like sleeping in it anymore. So for almost 2 weeks she has been sleeping horrendously. She is having to adjust to sleeping flat now and its been a nightmare. She sleeps with her legs hovering in the air!!

What BlackCat said is so true about all the baby equipment. Once you start them on something, you eventually have to untrain them!

Don't forget about diaper bag too, make sure dcm doesn't put anything in there that says "Keep out of reach of Children", scissors for cutting nails, things like that.

Good luck!!
sharlan 10:48 AM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
as we know cali. licensing has so many grey areas. I was told no swing. If I were you, I would call and ask about it if you plan to get one.

I personally would never allow one, I could see the older kids possibly attempting trying to give baby a friendly push.

lets see

lots of burp rags, clothing, back-up formula, bibs, something that smells like mom, and asprin for your headaches....lol jk on that last one
I just bought a giant bottle of Motrin.

IF and I say IF, I choose to use a swing, it will be inside the superyard.
blandino 08:36 PM 10-30-2013
Infants that are cared for differently at home don't do well here. Which is why I believe it is super important to be a good fit for the family/child you are interviewing.

I make sure that infant routines and care is gone over really really well at the time of interview. I make sure parents know BEFORE enrollment that I don't use baby equipment and that if the baby has trouble adjusting to that (if they use them at home) then I will term. I won't care for a baby in a manner that I feel puts me at risk to be liable.

It's super important that the parents agree and are on the same page.

SO yes, you are right....they simply wouldn't ne a good fit if they use swings and bouncers to entertain their baby and then expect me to care for the child a BIG chunk of the day in which that baby is awake.
I think the bolded is the biggest reason we use the equipment.

Actually, a lot of my families do use some equipment but more so they hold and entertain constantly while they are at home - which we can't do. So there in lies our use of the equipment. Maybe it's my area, but I don't know if parents would like a more RIE approach. (Personally, I love it), But like you said if parents aren't going to do it at home - then it isn't going to work at daycare.

I totally understand. I guess I just run into so many parents who swear their baby is just the easiest baby in the world, and never cries - only to find the opposite be true (at least in daycare :roll eyes, that I am not the most trusting of what parents have to say about their baby care routine at home.
Tags:infant advice, infant equipment, infant routines, infants
Reply Up