Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teachers Kids?
Cwillis 06:51 PM 05-26-2015
Anybody only care for teachers kids? Pros? Cons? Do you charge during their built in breaks?
hope 07:01 PM 05-26-2015
I mostly do. 2 out of 3 of my families are teachers. I give them a slight discount. In return they agree to keep kids home any time school is closed paid to me. So I get paid fall recess, winter and spring break. I get paid snow days and holidays. I do not charge for summer. To me it is worth it. My days start early (7am) but are done by 3:30. That leaves plenty of time for my family and lots of paid days off.
Unregistered 09:17 PM 05-26-2015
I do! I charge them August through May. No charge for 2wks of Christmas break and 1 week of spring break. I charge a deposit in May (gets applied to August tuition) to hold their spot for August but do not charge them in the summer. I do babysitting when I can during the summer if any of my enrolled kids need me. I don't make as much money as other home providers but I love my job and the time off with my own kids!
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 05-27-2015
I provide care for parents in all fields of work.

Each family pays a flat weekly rate based on the number of days per week and hours per day they need....ALL year long.

I do not care if they are off for the summer, winter or periods of time through out the year. I am open for business 50 weeks a year so fees are due 50 weeks a year regardless of attendance. If parents work in a field that allows them to have extended time off, they can pull their child and forfeit their space or pay like everyone else.

Teachers only work 9 months out of the year but they still make a YEARLY salary.

I refuse to take a financial loss so that someone else can save money.
spinnymarie 08:43 AM 05-27-2015
We work on the teacher's schedule of one of our local school districts.
We do take a pay cut from if we worked 50 wks/year, but we work 40 wks/year instead.
All of our clients are teachers, though we have had interest from people at the local university, who could make our schedule work as well.
We do not charge for ANY days that we are closed. Clients pay a flat monthly rate that has been pro-rated for 195 attendance days over 10 months/year.
However, since we don't charge for any closed days, our daily rate is considerably higher than the average going rate, though our clients still save money across the year.
I did do some serious calculations to figure out our rate since it's slightly different, but I'd be happy to share
Kim 10:12 AM 05-27-2015
All of my clients right now are teachers. I switched last year to follow my county's school calendar. This will be my second summer off! It's been fantastic for my own kids. I raised my rates slightly to compensate for no income for about 8 weeks each summer. That way I make enough in the 10 months I'm open to set aside money for summer. Fees are due regardless during the school year even for holidays and breaks. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep this schedule but I'll enjoy it until I can't make it work anymore.
cheerfuldom 10:30 AM 05-27-2015
I dont charge for summers. This is what keeps teachers here. Works out great for me because I have four kids (who are home most of the summer) and i get off earlier during the school year. Kids are picked up between 330 and 430. It is worth it to me. It is common in my area for teachers to look for and find home providers that cater to the teacher schedule. Same thing for nurses/medical field that often needs 12 hour days. I wouldnt work that schedule but there are plenty of providers and centers that do for the business that this type of parent brings in. If you can make it work for you, go for it. Its worth looking into what other local places allow as that will be your competition. Here, it is a common scenario but in other places, teachers are charged like everyone else and it is just expected there.
donken 04:00 PM 05-27-2015
I require my teacher families to pay me two days per week for the summer months to "hold their spot". It is a significant decrease in my salary for those months but it's nice to have a lighter summer.
jenboo 04:12 PM 05-27-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
We work on the teacher's schedule of one of our local school districts.
We do take a pay cut from if we worked 50 wks/year, but we work 40 wks/year instead.
All of our clients are teachers, though we have had interest from people at the local university, who could make our schedule work as well.
We do not charge for ANY days that we are closed. Clients pay a flat monthly rate that has been pro-rated for 195 attendance days over 10 months/year.
However, since we don't charge for any closed days, our daily rate is considerably higher than the average going rate, though our clients still save money across the year.
I did do some serious calculations to figure out our rate since it's slightly different, but I'd be happy to share
Can you tell me how you did all your calculations?! I'm thinking about doing this when I reopen in a couple years. You can pm me if you want. I might have a lot of questions
spinnymarie 11:17 AM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Can you tell me how you did all your calculations?! I'm thinking about doing this when I reopen in a couple years. You can pm me if you want. I might have a lot of questions
Pm'd you
Unregistered 12:34 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
Pm'd you
I'l love to know your calculations, too.
Ariana 09:58 AM 03-14-2017
I prefer teachers kids because I want my summers off. I know that if I charged them they would send their kids (at least the teachers I have had). During the summer my SA daughter is home so I like getting out and about with her, going on vacations and camping. If they sent their kids I would need to put my kids in camp and it would be expensive!

It works for me but not everyone!
Unregistered 02:29 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I provide care for parents in all fields of work.

Each family pays a flat weekly rate based on the number of days per week and hours per day they need....ALL year long.

I do not care if they are off for the summer, winter or periods of time through out the year. I am open for business 50 weeks a year so fees are due 50 weeks a year regardless of attendance. If parents work in a field that allows them to have extended time off, they can pull their child and forfeit their space or pay like everyone else.

Teachers only work 9 months out of the year but they still make a YEARLY salary.

I refuse to take a financial loss so that someone else can save money.
Curious....have you found this model to work well with teachers you interview for a spot? Or do most of them balk and look for a DC where they don't have to pay for the summer?
Blackcat31 03:11 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Curious....have you found this model to work well with teachers you interview for a spot? Or do most of them balk and look for a DC where they don't have to pay for the summer?
I've never had a family question it yet.

It's also pretty standard here for daycare's to charge according to enrollment and not attendance or time use. We have A LOT of work/positions in my area (of the state) that are seasonal so if we (providers in my community) offered discounts or breaks on the rates due to seasonal lay offs, we'd have to do it for all jobs that have similar situations.

Sadly "most" parents I've had that do have that kind of time off, still want to bring their children anyways soooo......
Jupadia 05:23 AM 03-15-2017
I'm hoping to add a teachers kid this September if I find one over 2 years age. With my son starting Jr kindergarten I can add a 6 kid in from September to June and not be over snow days or school breaks. As long as I only have 1 under 2 (vs the 2 under 2 and have 5 kids max rule). I plan to just not charge during the summer cause I won't actually have a spot for their kid then cause I'll have to count mine back into my numbers during the summer till he turns 6. But for school breaks I have the parents pay and send them if they wished since I would be open anyways.
Tags:teacher's children, teachers as clients
Reply Up