Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nebraska Questions
Unregistered 12:00 PM 01-12-2016
Two quick questions for anyone who might be familiar with Nebraska's laws and regulations.
1. I read that a License Exempt Home can care for up to three children not including the provider's own children, but have also read that the provider can only have a max of six children.
Question: I have five of my own children, two are school aged. Does this mean that I can only care for three while they are in school and only one when my oldest two are present in our home?

2. To become licensed the fire marshall will require hard-wired interconnected smoke detectors throughout the home. We are currently in a rental home where the smoke detectors are not hard-wired (it's an older home). In your experience, do they ever make an exception to this rule? Would wireless interconnected smoke detectors be acceptable?

Thanks for the input!
Unregistered 03:36 AM 01-13-2016
I was expempt when I had a daycare. I was pregnant with my fourth and I called to check, and was told as long as I only had up to 3 daycare kids I was fine, no matter my own children. I would call just to verify, but that's what I was told a year ago.
Yes, you need hard wired detectors if you chose to be licensed. Good luck!
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:57 AM 03-21-2016
1. I believe you can watch up to 3 children that are not your own at any time regardless how many children you are the parent of. Also, you might like to know that if you are licensed, our own children 8-years-old and older do not count in numbers anymore. So, if your school-agers are 8 or older, there is definately no concern.

2. You must have hard-wired smoke detectors. The fire marshal absolutely makes no kind of exceptions at all; it is very, very serious. It is this exact issue that keeps many people from becoming licensed, as it is pretty expensive to hire this done.

I hope you do become licensed! The licensed home daycare in NE is becoming quite rare indeed!
Tags:nebraska, nebraska requirements
Reply Up