Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Shingles

I went to the doctor tonight with what I thought was a spider bite. Turns out it's Shingles....in my 20s! It's on my buttocks so a place that's always covered and hands are washed after bathroom breaks. Most of the breakout is scabbed over now and not contagious anymore. Do I need to notify parents or is it ok to keep it private?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2016, 06:52 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I went to the doctor tonight with what I thought was a spider bite. Turns out it's Shingles....in my 20s! It's on my buttocks so a place that's always covered and hands are washed after bathroom breaks. Most of the breakout is scabbed over now and not contagious anymore. Do I need to notify parents or is it ok to keep it private?
My son got it as a young teenager and I was shocked too. His pediatrician said it is uncommon but possible when you've previously had chicken pox. He advised us that school attendance was fine as long as the rash was covered. It's my understanding that, with Shingles, you can only spread chicken pox if someone touches the exposed blisters. And once scabbed over, you are no longer contagious.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
My son got it as a young teenager and I was shocked too. His pediatrician said it is uncommon but possible when you've previously had chicken pox. He advised us that school attendance was fine as long as the rash was covered. It's my understanding that, with Shingles, you can only spread chicken pox if someone touches the exposed blisters. And once scabbed over, you are no longer contagious.
Thank you, the doctor told me that it's only contagious if I touch it and don't wash my hands. So it's easily controlled and no one will be exposed. I'm just not sure if there is a requirement or law that I have to disclose it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2016, 07:16 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you, the doctor told me that it's only contagious if I touch it and don't wash my hands. So it's easily controlled and no one will be exposed. I'm just not sure if there is a requirement or law that I have to disclose it.
I wouldn't know about regulations for your state. My state is really strict and they only require notification for a highly contagious outbreak with the children.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2016, 03:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

All I have to add is I'm sorry. I've had that before and it's miserable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,231
Default

I had it a few months ago. I'm 55 and had chicken pox as a child.

My doc told me that as it was all on my back and side, that I was fine to work as it was all covered.

Awful, painful thing....I was so miserable....so sorry for you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

I'm so sorry My best friend used to own a bakery, and their busiest time was Halloween through Christmas. Like clockwork every year she would get shingles in her EYE by Thanksgiving every year. Keep it covered. I would only tell dcps in order to garner sympathy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Silly Songs's Avatar
Silly Songs Silly Songs is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 703
Default

Inform any preggo moms. I knew someone whose husband had shingles and she miscarried. Maybe no direct cause but they ( the couple ) always thought so.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shingles

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DCM With Shingles Daycaregranny Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 07-15-2014 07:54 PM
DH Diagnosed With Shingles....What Should I Do? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 12-09-2013 06:41 PM
Chicken Pox Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 07-08-2013 03:16 PM
Ugh!! Shingles! jessrlee Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 05-16-2013 12:42 PM
Ahh-Parents! beach_grl Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 10-26-2010 05:00 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming