Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Provider- Trying to push me out?
thelearningtreetx 03:42 PM 06-17-2018
I just opened my in home daycare and am newly licensed (as in Friday.)

I have been posting on craigslist as well as a local Facebook group and have gotten a lot of good responses. I had tours all week last week and have had several families interested in my daycare. This is NOT the first time I've had my own home daycare, but the first time in this location (I previously owned a home daycare for 4 years, but closed to relocate and worked outside the home for a few years before deciding to reopen in my new location.

OK, onto my problem. As I mentioned I have been posting my ad on a local Facebook group with great response....except from ONE person. I didn't know who this lady was and figured she was just a parent. Turns out, she's another provider in the area and apparently doesn't like that I'm stepping in her territory. Every time I post, she posts questions regarding my program (which I answer honestly and she combats with something else). Just today she asked if I was licensed, I said "yes" and she went to the state website and I am not listed (because I had my inspection Friday afternoon and the site hasn't been updated I'm assuming.) I explained this in my reply to her and she ignored.

I don't know what to do. I feel as though she is trying to push me out or make me seem like a bad provider before I've even begun. I know other parents are reading the responses and hopefully have enough sense to see what she is doing, but I'm so frustrated!

WWYD? I have messaged her directly with zero response. I don't want to be flat out rude on a public group because I don't want to come off wrong to potential clients.
Unregistered 03:46 PM 06-17-2018
If she's harassing you on FB, just put her on block.
redmaple 04:36 PM 06-17-2018
I would use each of her questions as an opportunity to sell your program. If you know for certain she is another provider, then I would politely work that into some of the responses. It will reflect poorly on her in the long run.
Jdy2222 05:17 PM 06-17-2018
Definitely work that in ... "I do x, as I'm sure you do in your home daycare too. If you have any further questions about my program feel free to send me a private message!"
Unregistered 05:29 PM 06-17-2018
I will try that! Thanks.

I have been using the opportunity to sell my program, but didn't want to call her out as a provider.
Josiegirl 02:26 AM 06-18-2018
To me, it sounds like it might be more of her issues with illegally unlicensed dcs? Since that was one thing you mentioned that she questioned, that popped into my head. Maybe she'll settle down once she sees you are in the system. I wonder if the people that are asking you questions are some of her clients and that's upsetting her? I don't know. But do travel the high road and I like what the PPs suggested.
Are you in an area that is saturated with dc or does there seem to be plenty of need to go around? I live in a small town and until this whole prek thing started, everybody was getting lots of calls and had little problem staying as full as they wanted. Now it's different. Maybe she's panicking and worried that she'll lose dcfs. Even so, what she's doing isn't right and will definitely reflect on her eventually.
Reply Up