Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Resisting Sick Policy
Sunshine69 02:39 PM 03-16-2020
My illness policy allows for a slight cough and clear runny nose but excludes uncontrollable coughing. With the current Coronavirus crises the state advises that no one with upper respiratory infection symptoms enter the building, which I have posted on my entrance.

Dcb went home Friday with persistent cough. Dcm was upset about the exclusion. She asked this morning if child could return because the coughing had reduced, not disappeared. I explained the policy and advised her that, in this circumstance, the child’s doctor would have to write a note that the child has no communicable diseases. So dcm took child to the pediatrician. She sent me a copy of the note from the doctor that the child was seen for RSV and since they don’t have a fever, the doctor believes the child can return to daycare. Mom told me test results for RSV wouldn’t be back for a couple days but if the child is negative then they are negative for Coronavirus too. Of course she wants to know if the child can come back before the results are in. I told her to wait for results.

Another dcb went to doctor croup today and I asked the parent to ask about the RSV testing. That parent informed me that the doctor said RSV testing would not cover Coronavirus.
Interestingly, both dc parents use the same pediatric office.

Does anyone have any knowledge about RSV testing? I’m about to call my own kids’ pediatrician and ask but am not sure I will be able to get an answer.

I sure wish parents would simply stop trying to send their sick kids into daycare. I get that parents need to go to work. Unfortunately, it’s not just business as usual these days.
Cat Herder 02:42 PM 03-16-2020
An RSV test will not test for coronavirus.

RSV can be deadly to infants. https://www.cdc.gov/rsv/high-risk/in...-children.html
Sunshine69 04:13 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
An RSV test will not test for coronavirus.

RSV can be deadly to infants. https://www.cdc.gov/rsv/high-risk/in...-children.html
Thank you.

It’s disappointing I was given misleading information by the parent.

The child is over one year of age and has not had a fever while in my care. I don’t know what happens while he is not. Mom tells me the symptoms are improving.

Even though I have asked two families for notes from their pediatricians that their children do not have a communicable disease, all I get is notes that say a child was seen for XYZ but the doctor believes they can return to daycare. There is no language in the notes about the children not being contagious.

It’s so frustrating people just want to continue to send contagious children into care with no consideration for those who are exposed. Children are different than adults. They do not cover their coughs and some cannot blow or wipe their own noses.

My assistant is in the group that are in the most danger for Coronavirus infection. She covers for me when I have appointments for myself or my own kids. I think, under the current circumstances, rather than having her come into daycare to cover for me, I will just close for my appointments.

If parents are going to be so inconsiderate, then I will not risk my assistants health to make things more convenient for them.

The way things are going throughout the country, I may have the decision to continue accept children made for me.
Blackcat31 06:21 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
Thank you.

The child is over one year of age and has not had a fever while in my care. I don’t know what happens while he is not. Mom tells me the symptoms are improving.

Even though I have asked two families for notes from their pediatricians that their children do not have a communicable disease, all I get is notes that say a child was seen for XYZ but the doctor believes they can return to daycare. There is no language in the notes about the children not being contagious.

It’s so frustrating people just want to continue to send contagious children into care with no consideration for those who are exposed. Children are different than adults. They do not cover their coughs and some cannot blow or wipe their own noses.

My assistant is in the group that are in the most danger for Coronavirus infection. She covers for me when I have appointments for myself or my own kids. I think, under the current circumstances, rather than having her come into daycare to cover for me, I will just close for my appointments.

If parents are going to be so inconsiderate, then I will not risk my assistants health to make things more convenient for them.

The way things are going throughout the country, I may have the decision to continue accept children made for me.
I have a few medical forms I send WITH a parent to have the doctor fill out. It asks specific questions so that parents can not bring the generic notes you mentioned.

I will PM them to you. You are welcome to use them in anyway that works for you.
Sunshine69 07:48 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a few medical forms I send WITH a parent to have the doctor fill out. It asks specific questions so that parents can not bring the generic notes you mentioned.

I will PM them to you. You are welcome to use them in anyway that works for you.
Thank you so much.
Ariana 12:02 PM 03-17-2020
Do not listen to parents. Exclude based on symptoms. Why does it matter if he is coughing due to RSV, the flu or Covid19, he is sick and needs to stay home.
Sunshine69 02:59 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do not listen to parents. Exclude based on symptoms. Why does it matter if he is coughing due to RSV, the flu or Covid19, he is sick and needs to stay home.
Exactly!

The family had other family coming from out-of-town. Mom has the week off and was planning on using the family help to organize things at her home, etc. Having the kids home messes up her plans.

I’m hoping now that everything is closed, reality will start to sink in.
e.j. 11:37 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
It really is disappointing when a parent does this kind of thing. On the plus side, however, you've just learned some very important information about this dc mom. She will tell you what she has to in order to get you to keep her child in care. In the future, when she shows up with a child who has a fever due to "teething", a child with a bad cough and runny nose who just has "allergies" or a child who threw up at breakfast because of "something she ate" - and you can bet your last dollar that she will! - you'll be able to turn her away at the door without giving it a second thought or a minute's worth of guilt because she has just taught you something about herself.
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
It really is disappointing when a parent does this kind of thing. On the plus side, however, you've just learned some very important information about this dc mom. She will tell you what she has to in order to get you to keep her child in care. In the future, when she shows up with a child who has a fever due to "teething", a child with a bad cough and runny nose who just has "allergies" or a child who threw up at breakfast because of "something she ate" - and you can bet your last dollar that she will! - you'll be able to turn her away at the door without giving it a second thought or a minute's worth of guilt because she has just taught you something about herself.
Boom.
Firefly 12:41 PM 03-18-2020

Sunshine69 12:54 PM 03-18-2020
Exactly!

It’s tough to take as a mom. I wouldn’t want my child to be anywhere but home in my care if they were sick and miserable.
Tags:coronavirus, illness policy, infants, respiratory syncytial virus, rsv, sick policy
Reply Up