Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Your DCKs Listen Better To You?
Josiegirl 11:17 AM 01-03-2014
After reading quite a few posts saying dcks listen better to the providers and parents can't make their kids mind, etc., I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? I only have a couple kids who have always listened better to me. Otherwise, I feel like their 2nd parent, in that they treat me the same way they treat their parents.
I have one little dcg who I'm always telling the parents how she's such a sweetheart and always does what I ask of her. And another where I've very seldom seen common toddler behavior but the parents see her act out all the time. Another as soon as dcm picks up, she seems to turn into this whiny stranger but here, she's a sweet girl.
thetoddlerwhisper 11:22 AM 01-03-2014
most of mine do tend to listen better to me and nap better. love hearing parents say "thats all you have to do?" when i give a child the "first warning"
Annalee 11:25 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by athacker:
most of mine do tend to listen better to me and nap better. love hearing parents say "thats all you have to do?" when i give a child the "first warning"
I love to see parents faces when they realize all kids nap at the same time...how the kids just get on their mats without a fuss....parents are amazed by that because we live in a society of "co-sleeping".....
countrymom 11:28 AM 01-03-2014
yes, they listen to me better because I hand out consequences for naughty behavior and I'm not there to be their friend and I'm not afraid to say "no".
thetoddlerwhisper 11:28 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I love to see parents faces when they realize all kids nap at the same time...how the kids just get on their mats without a fuss....parents are amazed by that because we live in a society of "co-sleeping".....
lol or "he sleeps 2.5 hours for you? he wont even nap for us"
melilley 11:51 AM 01-03-2014
I only have one that listens to me better than his mom. As soon as mom gets here, he's throwing stuff, hitting, etc... he still does it here to some extent, but it's intensified when mom comes.

The rest of the kids are good to begin with and act the same, although one tells me stories of dcb and how he acts at home...but I don't believe he could be that way...
daycarediva 12:50 PM 01-03-2014
If the kids don't behave better for me, and I cant improve it, they're out the door.

But yes, even though I have a few undisciplined children, they are farrrr worse for their parents than they are here.
Msdunny 01:03 PM 01-03-2014
All of mine are much better for me. It is like I can watch as switch flip when moms get here!
daycare 01:07 PM 01-03-2014
with us children do not have that unconditional love factor like our own children do. OUr children know that no matter how they behave we will love them no matter what.

There is also the consistency factor too. Here at daycare my rules and consequences are set in stone for all children. They know do A, they will get a B result every time.

My own child is a brat for me sometimes, but his teachers love him to death and tell me they always use him as a role model.

My great grandma used to tell me, children are going to misbehave somewhere, let it be at home............ I think she was right.
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 01-03-2014
Children usually listen to any other authority figure better than their parent because those figures wear only one hat verses the many hats a parent wears.

THAT is the "inconsistency" in being a parent that no parent can help.

Some days, it's okay to do xx and other days it's not. That is tough for kids to follow/live by.

That's life at home and tough NOT do though ...kwim?

At daycare, the rules are the same, every day for every kid.

NOT because providers are drill sergeants but because when managing a "group" of children, the rules HAVE to be black and white AND consistent day in and day out.

THAT ^^^^^ kind of routine is easy for kids to "read" and follow.
GKJNIGMN 02:09 PM 01-04-2014
Mine all do. But my own kids listen better to teachers than they do to me so I understand how it happens.

Funny story, one of my friends has a child that goes to school with the older child in a sibling set I take care of. She saw them at parent teacher conferences and the younger child who is 3 was kicking the car and slapping people refusing to get in the car. Needless to say, I ask her once to get her things on and get in my car in the morning to take the older kids to school and she does it and climbs right into her carseat lol Yes, she does run in the street and just lose it when DCM comes to pick her up but she is actually one of my very favorite kids.
TwinKristi 12:26 PM 01-05-2014
Yes, I think it's consistency and structure that helps. And like someone mentioned, they're not your own kids and don't get the unconditional love "even if I misbehave or whine" kinda thing unlike parents. Plus if you have ones that understand "I don't want to have to call mom/dad about this behavior" where as parents can't say that. LOL
cheerfuldom 02:28 PM 01-05-2014
My kids do very well for other people or for times when my hubby and I are together. If it is just me, they will run me ragged.
countrymom 06:06 AM 01-06-2014
but the behavior I see the kids display with their own parents is jaw dropping. My own kids have never behaved like that. I have kids who hit their parents, some with closed fists, the kicking of parents, the running away from parents, the screaming, the yelling the tempertantrums, omg some are so out of control.

but I allso have to mention is that I'm finding alot of kids act out of control for their parents is because when they come to my house, not only do I have rules, but I pay attention to them. I'm finding more and more parents are just not paying attention to their kids. I only have one mom who asks her kids how was school when she picks them up. I think thats why they also do well in school, some one is there to pay attention to them.

today, at pick up time, see how the parents interact with their kids.
Maria2013 07:04 AM 01-06-2014
most kids I've had so far listen to me and tent to misbehave (in one way or another) in the presence of their parents....but parents swear they are good listener at home
ihop 07:15 AM 01-06-2014
They definitely listen better to me and behave better here. I am firm on my rules and they know exactly what is expected of them. I actually have a 2yo dcg who hits, kicks, throws things, spits, and throws week long tantrums at home regularly. She threw one small tantrum here, at it was only once. She learned it will not be tolerated or given in to. Other then that, she is an angel here.
Familycare71 07:16 AM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Children usually listen to any other authority figure better than their parent because those figures wear only one hat verses the many hats a parent wears.

THAT is the "inconsistency" in being a parent that no parent can help.

Some days, it's okay to do xx and other days it's not. That is tough for kids to follow/live by.

That's life at home and tough NOT do though ...kwim?

At daycare, the rules are the same, every day for every kid.

NOT because providers are drill sergeants but because when managing a "group" of children, the rules HAVE to be black and white AND consistent day in and day out.

THAT ^^^^^ kind of routine is easy for kids to "read" and follow.
I agree completely! My dck all behave MUCH better for me than their parents- BUT my children behave better at school than they do here...
I will say tho their are some behaviors I KNOW wouldn't happen here even if they were mine... Sometimes it blows my mind what parents allow!
Reply Up