Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand Warmers Are They Dangerous For Kids
284878 01:04 PM 11-05-2019
I have dcb6 and sister dcg2.5 two days a week. DCB goes to school with DD7. As we are walking to the bus stop, dcb gives dd a handwarmer. No biggy, they are going to school and they are old enough not to put one in their mouths.

DD tells me later, that dcb told her to not tell his gma that she has the warmer. DD never sees his gma but he wants her to lie for him.

ff to today. I zip dcg coat and feel something in her pocket. I pull out a handwarmer. Why does a 2-year-old have a handwarmer? I give it to dcb, he has a fit that dcg can not have it. I tell him, it either goes to school with him or I throw it away, he thinks about it agrees to put it in his backpack. I open the small pocket of his backpack and it is full of them.

Now depending on the brand, they are made from natural material but still should not be ingested. But why is gma passing these out instead of giving the kids gloves? As for the amount the DCB has in his backpack, did gma really give them to him or did he take them and that is why dcb doesn't want dd to tell his GMA.
Cat Herder 02:23 PM 11-05-2019
"Safe Handling Instructions: WARNINGS. • Burn hazard. Immediately remove warmer if it is too hot or uncomfortable. Check skin periodically. Maximum temperature may reach 158°F (70°C). • DO NOT USE:. • for longer than stated. • with other heating devices or heat up in microwave. • while sleeping. • on infants or on those who cannot feel heat. • in oxygen-enriched environments. • Careful supervision is required when used by the elderly, children, the handicapped, and those with sensitive skin. • People with allergies, diabetes, frostbite, scars, open wounds, bruising, swelling, sensitive skin, arthritis, paralysis, nerve damage or circulatory problems, and people who cannot apply or remove warmer by themselves, should not use this product unless directed by a physician. • FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY. Do not allow contents to get in eyes or mouth. If in eyes, flush thoroughly with clean water. If in mouth, contact poison control center as it contains iron powder, which can be harmful if swallowed. Keep out of reach of children and pets."

Ingredients: Iron Powder, Water, Salt, Activated Charcoal and Vermiculite
284878 04:21 PM 11-05-2019
Thank you, I looked but couldn't find anything.

I told DH what happened so he could help me check DCB bag after school. When we looked in the bag, there were only two left, not sure what he did with the rest.

I told DCd what happened and he was not surprised that they had some, but more surprised that DCb had so many. Hmm I think I maybe right, DCB wasn't supposed to have them.
284878 09:54 AM 11-07-2019
Really there is no need to lie to me. DCD came in today and said DCB had been given the hand warmers, he just "forgot" to throw them away. That he cleaned out his desk and threw them away.

DCD they do not have desks in 1st grade and they were not in his desk, they were in his backpack. DCB does "forget" things (like I forgot you just told me not to touch that just a second ago, because I know, saying "I forgot" gets me out of trouble) but forgetting to throw away something repeatedly and then just suddenly remembering when an adult sees your stash, should make you question his real intentions. Good thing he forgot to throw away the last 2 in the bag.

DCD did say he got in trouble for asking dd to lie, which at least that happened.

Oh, and I love the timing of the gloves today, how convenient that he will not need hand warmers anymore since he has gloves now. Nice touch.

BTW - I did not ask for an update, you offered it up on your own.
Tags:child safety, cold weather clothing, hand warmers
Reply Up