Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

View Poll Results: Should We get Rid of Daylight Savings Time?
YES 21 75.00%
NO 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Default Should We Get Rid of Daylight Savings Time?

Is it time to get Rid of Daylight Savings Time? I personally can’t stand the change. The idea was that if people were awake during the daylight, then they would rely on the sun to see what they were doing. The very purpose was just to save energy throughout the evening hours.

Last edited by Michael; 11-04-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

Gosh I wish we could. My own kids and daycare kids are so out of whack. Weíre laying down a while 45 minutes early for nap because of the non stop whining and crying today.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would rather have the longer daylight in the evenings than the morning. It was nice to wake up to daylight today but I will hate it this afternoon. So wish the time had not changed!
Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 AM

I don't mind it.

I don't like going to work AND getting off work in the dark in the winter months but over all I don't really mind it at all as it has just always been
Old 11-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

Talking

I prefer we get rid of winter instead. I think its a mental thing...it's 60 min....not that big of a deal.

Oh...and get rid of Mondays too!
Old 11-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

Yes! I donít care which time they pick. Just quit changing & stick with it.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Childcare Provider

I'd vote YES to stop this back and forth change
Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay View Post
I prefer we get rid of winter instead. I think its a mental thing...it's 60 min....not that big of a deal.

Oh...and get rid of Mondays too!
I'm with you! lol Get rid of winter and I'll be a happy camper! I don't like to "fall back" because it gets dark so early but I really do love the extra daylight when we "spring forward".
Old 11-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Last week I was welcoming my first family in the pitch black and this week I am welcoming them in the daylight! I vote to keep it otherwise I will be opening and closing in the dark.

There are a few states and a few provinces that donít do it!
Old 11-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

These states donít honor daylight savings time: Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the US Virgin Islands
Old 11-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Nature Lover

Oregon is suppose to get rid of it next year. It will be the day after Halloween.

I would rather it be daylight in the morning then longer at night. Plus I don't understand if we don't do it how will it work. Like will it be darker longer and longer in the mornings. How will it work for in the summer-not as long days?
We only get one shot at this!!
Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
These states donít honor daylight savings time: Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the US Virgin Islands
We were in Arizona when DST ended in 2017. It was nice to go back to the East Coast and having only an hour difference instead of 2 and the kids adjusted easier!
Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
Oregon is suppose to get rid of it next year. It will be the day after Halloween.

I would rather it be daylight in the morning then longer at night. Plus I don't understand if we don't do it how will it work. Like will it be darker longer and longer in the mornings. How will it work for in the summer-not as long days?
Right now Daylight Savings Time has ended so this is how the time is supposed to be. When the clocks go forward in the spring it is meant to give more light in the evening. In the summer here the sunrises at 4:30am it gets dark at 9:30pm so if we got rid of DST the sunrise would be at 3:30am and it would get dark at 8:30pm. I think it was implemented to give farmers a longer day of light.

Also the further you are from the equator the more you are affected. Someone in Florida wouldn’t be as affected as someone in Alaska for example.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:07 AM

I liked it because I don't like the sun out until 9 pm or working dark to dark BUT now that my husband has to travel and attend conference calls nationally I see why it needs to go.

Conducting meetings with various timezones is hard enough, adding more complexities to this means someone's dinner or sleep is always interrupted for petty meetings that could have been emailed.... but I digress.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Nature Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Right now Daylight Savings Time has ended so this is how the time is supposed to be. When the clocks go forward in the spring it is meant to give more light in the evening. In the summer here the sunrises at 4:30am it gets dark at 9:30pm so if we got rid of DST the sunrise would be at 3:30am and it would get dark at 8:30pm. I think it was implemented to give farmers a longer day of light.

Also the further you are from the equator the more you are affected. Someone in Florida wouldnít be as affected as someone in Alaska for example.
From my understanding it wasn't implemented till I believe the early 1900's and actually was to save energy during WW1.
We only get one shot at this!!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:12 PM
False Sense Of Authority

Yes my God. The number or car accidents spike sharply in the week after DST begins and ends. Just leav3 it alone.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Yes! I donít care which time they pick. Just quit changing & stick with it.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 11-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

I wouldn't agree with ending it. It would mean sundown an hour earlier in summer. That messes with me golfing. That would be not OK. If we used the summertime hours as permanent hours, I'd be fine with that. I actually DO like the extra sun in the winter mornings, but it is the summer hour that I live for.

Tags
daylight saving time, poll